ADVERTISEMENT

RMU to NHL

GoRMU

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Since we are in NHL mode, I will ask my annual question. Is there any RMU hockey player, current or former, that you expect to be playing in the NHL within the next few years? Or, in a more general way, has the RMU program reached a level that it is a reasonable expectation that someone, even without knowing specifically who, will reach the NHL?

I thought former center Nathan Longpre would get a sniff by now. He's been in the American Hockey League with the Chicago Wolves for the past three seasons, but he hasn't had eye-popping stats.

It's tough for guys like him, though. He and the rest of the pro Colonials aren't signed to NHL teams, even as minor leaguers. They are signed by the minor league teams they play for, which means that the NHL team would have to purchase their contracts to bring them up. Quinnipiac grad Eric Hartzell, the goaltender who wowed in the Frozen Four last year, signed with the Penguins even though he's playing in the minors. It's a small hurdle, but I think sometimes it's a stigma. If you're not signed by the NHL franchise, you're often viewed as roster fodder and minor league depth. Guys can have long careers playing in the minors, but everyone wants to be in the NHL.

Out of the current guys, Cody Wydo would seem to have the best shot. Goal scorers are always in demand, and Wydo now has a 30-goal season to go with a 20-goal season. He was among the most dynamic scorers in college hockey last year and he could be a Hobey Baker contender if he has a fantastic season and Robert Morris makes it back to the NCAA Tournament.

He won't get drafted, but he may get a post-college contract with an NHL team (and thus a better chance of actually making an NHL roster) if he has an excellent senior season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT