ADVERTISEMENT

Clark?

petsounds82

Jan 21, 2020
Should be interesting to know if Coach Clark will be retained. Assuming he had a 5 year contract or 4 with a COVID gratuity. Yes, things have improved a bit from last year's abomination, but its hard to say the program is improving. The implosion of the Big South didn't help. Until RMU finds a comfortable and stable football conference to call home, I think they'll always have a hard time. You have to wonder if there's a glass ceiling for football at RMU with it being the 3rd fiddle men's sport, a resources mismatch for most FCS conferences in the region, and facilities. Clark has a fire in him that's impressive and I've never heard a bad thing about him as a person - but that's normally not enough to keep coaches around anymore. Of course, if he has years left on his contract, RMU isn't exactly in the financial situation to pay him out.

Reactions: NewRomoFan
Should be interesting to know if Coach Clark will be retained. Assuming he had a 5 year contract or 4 with a COVID gratuity. Yes, things have improved a bit from last year's abomination, but its hard to say the program is improving. The implosion of the Big South didn't help. Until RMU finds a comfortable and stable football conference to call home, I think they'll always have a hard time. You have to wonder if there's a glass ceiling for football at RMU with it being the 3rd fiddle men's sport, a resources mismatch for most FCS conferences in the region, and facilities. Clark has a fire in him that's impressive and I've never heard a bad thing about him as a person - but that's normally not enough to keep coaches around anymore. Of course, if he has years left on his contract, RMU isn't exactly in the financial situation to pay him out.
I was thinking that the last 2 wins might have bought some good will.

It all comes down to his contract. If he has years left, RMU isn't in position to eat it, especially after modest improvement from last year.

But if his contract is expiring here, he should not be brought back. The program lacks an identity. Clark seems like a great guy and a good ambassador for the university, but this program has been non-competitive outside of the NEC.

The fact that Bryant left the NEC after RMU and has itself in a better, more competitive position in a shorter amount of time is pretty damning.

It all comes down to his contract. If he has years left, RMU isn't in position to eat it, especially after modest improvement from last year.

But if his contract is expiring here, he should not be brought back. The program lacks an identity. Clark seems like a great guy and a good ambassador for the university, but this program has been non-competitive outside of the NEC.

The fact that Bryant left the NEC after RMU and has itself in a better, more competitive position in a shorter amount of time is pretty damning.
I think you are on the money ColonialInsider.

I agree with lacking an identity. I would think that if he didn't have anytime left on his contract they would have parted ways already though. You might get an answer today if he does his normal Tuesday interview with Pitts.

I think a lot of the decision will come down to if the NEC invites RMU back into the conference for football. The NEC is hurting now with top teams leaving. We all know the NEC is a stepping stone for certain programs in previous years like Albany, Stony Brook and Monmouth.

I hope RMU gets back into the NEC. They could compete, bring in fans, alumni, and recruiting. I like Clark is a great coach and a perfect fit for RMU.

I think the conference decision will determine what is next for RMU & Clark and perhaps the long term strategy for football at RMU.

I think a lot of the decision will come down to if the NEC invites RMU back into the conference for football. The NEC is hurting now with top teams leaving. We all know the NEC is a stepping stone for certain programs in previous years like Albany, Stony Brook and Monmouth.

I hope RMU gets back into the NEC. They could compete, bring in fans, alumni, and recruiting. I like Clark is a great coach and a perfect fit for RMU.

I think the conference decision will determine what is next for RMU & Clark and perhaps the long term strategy for football at RMU.
Agree with you. The Big South fell apart and is too well resourced compared to RMU. Every other school except Charleston Southern is bigger and has better resources. Covid forced RMU to come to grips that they can sometimes play with bigger boys but don't have the same financial strength. But it was a good idea at the time. I think from a local perspective, you get more out of a loss to Duquesne than a win against Eastern Illinois.

Also agree with you on Clark. I've never heard a bad thing about the guy. Need to find a way to get more wins. I just wish there were a clearer diagnosis on why football has struggled so much in the scholarship era.

Delaware is reportedly moving up to FBS and joining Conference USA.

I think it would behoove the NEC, Robert Morris, and perhaps others to work out their differences and reconnect. Realignment is going to upset the apple cart here over the next few years. RMU needs to understand it isn't attractive enough to try to join the MVFC or CAA. Get back into the NEC, rekindle your local rivalries with St. Francis and Duquesne, and then play some marquee out of conference games like West Virginia, MAC schools, Youngstown State, maybe get Delaware on the schedule, etc.

Reactions: Original_RMC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT