ADVERTISEMENT

QB battle

GoRMU

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Paul Jones is the big name, the returning starter and a big and talented player, but RMU has four other QBs that all have talent. Is Jones in a firm position to hold onto his starting position, or do you see a real battle? Is Prather the top contender?
If Abbott is not starting, do you see him being put in at various times to give a different look with his quickness and passing accuracy? Andrew, if by chance you are working on an article about this topic, no need to give anything away now, I can wait.

No article forthcoming, so I'll offer some thoughts here...

RMU had to open up the QB battle for one reason: The new offense. It's only fair to everyone on the team to get an equal shot at competing in the new system. Maybe someone who was lower on the depth chart in Walton's offense flourishes (Jordan Blackmon, Warren Fields, for example) in the new offense because of how they're used. Maybe someone's skill set is better suited.

I think Jones is the leader, though I'm disappointed that he wasn't able to play much Saturday. He can be good out of the pocket. We saw him run at times last year out of sheer necessity and he's obviously capable. But I do think it's a real competition, and I think that's the case because that's the exact phrase John Banaszak used. He's a straight shooter, and the Colonials know they're blessed with talent and depth at the QB spot, especially when the FBS school in town has just two QBs in camp and will only have three in the fall.

If Jones is the leader, it's not a massive lead. Anyone is capable of challenging him. I think Prather would probably like another shot at the spring game, as I'm sure it didn't completely go the way he wanted it to. Carroll looked good in the 2-minute drill, as did Abbott. Brumbaugh had a good camp all the way around.

I don't know where this is going to go, but I think the first week of camp in August will tell us a lot. The reason? Abbott will be fully cleared. He wasn't this spring. He did a lot after coming back from shoulder surgery, but he had a red no-contact jersey on in the spring game. Once he's fully unleashed, we'll have a true sense of where the competition stands.

No matter who the QB is, I don't expect there to be special packages. It's one QB and that's it. If he isn't getting the job done, there are four others eager to get a shot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT