ADVERTISEMENT

Position Battles in Camp:

Original_RMC

Oct 24, 2011
[Please note that I have not been to camp yet. I'm going off of last season, reports from Spring Ball and incoming players tapes]

QB -> the most obvious choice as the #1 battle to watch. Barr vs. Walker. Barr will get the 1st chance to claim the #1 spot based on his experience. But one bad practice could open the door for Walker. I see both men getting their fair share of throws with the 1s in practice and in the 1st scrimmage. You will see a clearer #1 at QB once RMU finishes their 1st scrimmage.

I would not be surprise based on history that both QBs play this year. Watch out for Chase Bodeman who will be the dark horse. The coaches wanted to redshirt him last year but they should have played him sooner in the season instead of getting him hurt vs. YSU.

2017 prediction - Barr starts against Dayton, Walker finishes the season as the starter.

RB -> Not much of a battle Blake is your #1 in camp and heading into the season. The question then turns to who is #2? Malik Wells would take the 1st crack as the backup based on his experience. RB numbers are low this season. Expect to see new faces move to RB like Dreher or perhaps someone like TJ Neal.

2017 prediction - Blake starts with Wells as the #2 but Dreher gets 4-5 snaps each game at RB.

WR - > Your top 3 are secure with Vecchio, Robinson and Anu. Keep your eye on DeLano Madison and Dreher. Brandon Magee made some plays last season. There is depth but not much game experience outside of the top 3.

2017 prediction - Vecchio, Robinson and Anu start vs. Dayton. Dreher cracks into the starting lineup after some big plays against larger FCS programs.

TE -> Reggie Green will get the 1st crack at the #1. When RMU goes to Ace or two-TE formation, they will bring in Gonzalez. Dalton Elliott will be the dark horse at this position. If he can get the blocking down then RMU has 3 great potential weapons here. RMU goes Jet formation (3-WR, 1-RB, 1-TE); Green at TE and place Gonzalez at one of the WR spots. You can create match-up issues for the other team.

2017 prediction - Green starts against Dayton but soon Gonzalez takes over as the #1.

FB -> Wanat will be listed as the #1 but expect new faces like Walter and Crawley to make some noise in camp.

2017 prediction - Wanat starter

OL -> We will look at each position:

LT -> Rodriguez's job to lose. I'm hoping that he is very bit of the 275lbs listed by the roster. He looked very light out on the field last year. He will be pushed by the crop of new OL coming in. Sedzmak, Hicks and Knight. If Fennell's feet got better and Rodriguez struggles in camp, they could shift Fennell to LT and have an open battle for RT.

2017 prediction - Rodriguez

LG -> Mundy moves from C to LG. Another experienced OL returning. He too will be pushed but I can't see anyone knocking him out of LG unless he hits the gravy train.

2017 prediction - Mundy

C -> McAllister is listed as the starter and that's based off Spring Ball. Keep your eye on Bussy Remaley. These two will battle all camp. This will be a tough choice for the staff as neither player could has ever taken a game snap for RMU. If both struggle then the coaches could entertain the idea of shifting Mundy back to C and finding a new LG.

2017 prediction - McAllister

RG - Boyette is listed as a starter and at 6'6", that’s a big RG. RG will be a battle in camp. Lamb will throw his hat in the ring along with the new players. I could see a Fr. taking this position

2017 prediction - starter vs. Dayton -> John Sheldon

RT -> Fennell's spot if he can perform at a high level each practice. The coaches are looking for him to take that next step in year two. He will be pushed and he must stay healthy.

2017 prediction - Fennell

DL -> The starting 3 are set with Stanford & Pulley at DEs and Zamiska holding down DT. Derian Smith was a pleasant surprise last season with making plays before his injury. Expect to see him within the rotation. I could see Greg Rose working his way into the DL rotation during the season.

2017 prediction - Stanford & Pulley at DEs and Zamiska at DT

ILB -> Wollett & Utahafe have their spots. I could see two Fr. backing them both up if they can grasp the defensive scheme quickly in camp (Antuono & Thimons)

2017 prediction - Wollett & Utahafe

OLB -> Interesting note that Ferguson and Lamica were working with the 1s. I believe Gee missed Spring so missing those reps hurt. I know Gee is a very talented player and has a great skill at rusher the passer. Lamica and Gee will battle each practice. They both might share running with the 1s unless someone pulls ahead.

2017 prediction - Ferguson & Lamica w/Gee coming in during obvious passing downs to rush.

DBs -> I would be shocked if Smigiera, Richards, Allen and Stott don't start. They only thing that could prevent this group from playing together would be an injury. What will be interesting to me is who redshirts? Can players like Myles Canton and Jon Muehlbauer picks up the defense quick enough to play backup rolls and contribute to special teams? I think they will be listed on the depth chart for the 1st game and play special teams.

2017 prediction - Smigiera, Richards, Allen and Stott

Great write-up. Enjoy your insight, especially with the oline.

That defense has the chance to be outstanding.

I feel much better about the oline this year, and qb situation, the positions that really hampered the team last year. I do recall though, that the oline seemed to improve significantly as the season went on, and with some of those boys returning, it has to be an improvement of the beginning of last year.

No cupcakes on schedule this year to work kinks out. Coaches and players are going to have to make every minute of camp count and get better every day.

I am cautious, but very optimistic about what this team can do. The D should be able to keep them in almost every game.

The only correction that needs made is Mike lamb made the shift from offensive line to defensive line. Other than that, I love the insight. Great analysis, I think we're gonna see our fair share of Harrison dreher this year, I made it up there yesterday and today. That kid is lightning quick and when he gets a 1 on 1 in space, I don't see any defensive back being able to take him down. That line improved significantly, and I think a big reason the offense struggled last year is because we didn't have a single quarterback that could throw the ball past 10-15 yards very well. Both jimmy and Matt can sling it downfield, so they should be able to stretch defenses out again and improve upon the run game as well. I will say that today and yesterday looked night and day different compared to the spring. They are so much improved from a few months ago, I can't wait to see the pads go on and see these boys start hitting

Reactions: LetsGoRoMo
Ty
Can't explain how much I appreciate the insight. A QB that can sling it will change the whole complexion of the whole offense. Last year, as we know, everyone stacked us. Knew we could not sling it. If we can get a passing game going with Blake and Dreher out in the open , watch out.

The move to defense by Mike Lamb seems a bit surprising. He was, by far, the most experienced guy on the line in terms of years, starts and minutes played. Considering that most of the starters will likely only be only second-year guys, and the backups will be first-year guys, I am surprised the most veteran guy would be moved. I don't doubt the coaches; I am sure there is a good reason for the move.

Thank you men again, for all the info on Camp2017!! Keep it up guys, MORE UPDATES!!! Go BobbieMo

I've been gone since last Friday in Florida. Anything knew going on? New injuries? QB battle updates?

At the scrimmage last Saturday, the offensive line a little bit different look. The left side remained the same,
LT- Rodriguez
LG- Mundy
C- McAllister

The right side had 2 freshman taking first team reps:

RG- Alex Minford
RT- Dylan Young

Boyette and fennell got bumped off the first team. Minford looks really solid and had a nasty high school tape. I think there's a high probability he starts Dayton at RG. However I'm not sure what is going to happen at RT. It is currently a battle between Dylan Young and Matt Fennell. I think fennell will end up winning that job. The top two qbs are Barr and walker. Not sure why everybody is still getting a lot of reps though. I expect a starter to be picked soon and letting them roll with the offense and take the majority of the reps. Right now Barr is #1 and walker is right behind him. Vecchio and warren robinson are locks at receiver, the rest are up for grabs. There was a lot of guys injured Saturday that weren't in pads. Hope they're all healed up for the opener. We're only 17 days away from the opener!!

Reactions: Confusion23
I noticed that as well with some of the videos posted online of camp Minford and Young on the right side. Shocked that no vets can secure that eighth side yet. But sometimes you demote a player to see how he responds. Perhaps the staff wants to see how Fennell responds. He and other have this week to claim their spots.

Are we going down the same path again with injuries? I hope not.

Ty, how did Barr and walker look?

See any of Dreher?

Really appreciate the updates, and I agree I hope the name a starter and let them get reps in with the other starters.

I would also like some info on the OLB battle.
I'm hoping that perhaps I can get on campus on next week to see how the team is performing.,

From the looks of it, Matt is still in the drivers seat and starts as the #1 in the drills, there isnt much of a margin between both of them. Im anxious to see how it still finishes out. As far as the injuries go, I think most of the injuries so far are just muscle tweaks or pulls, nothing serious like bones or torn ligaments. I havent seen Dreher in a week, looking at his twitter, it seems that his grandmother passed away last week and he has been home with family. Hopefully he gets through it and makes it back soon. At OLB, Lamica and Ferguson are going to start day 1. Gee Stanley is suspended the first few games, im not sure of the exact number but I think he is missing most if not all of non conference play which will be a big blow vs the tough non conference schedule

Did we lose a couple of running backs? Only three now listed on roster.

We have 5 rbs,

6- Harrison dreher
29- Derek Albert
32- Tj Neal
36- cole blake
37- Nolan burns

Not sure what happened with Malik wells

Okay, thanks. On the roster, on rmucolonials.com, TJ is listed as a DB and Harrison as a WR. Understandable, guys get moved around this time of year.

I am still a bit surprised by the move of Mike Lamb to defense. - wonder how he is doing so far.

The injury to Lamb decimates an already thin interior dline. I would think that is why they moved him there to begin with. In the 3 years I've followed it would appear Fairison likes BIG DT's that eat up space for his backers to fly around.

I finally got away from work the other day and caught some of practice. Looked to me like Walker was getting most of the #1 reps. Perhaps just the day I was there?

Oline looked much improved from last year but still young. The McAllister kid is a tad undersized at oline but man he has some nasty to him. He would have made a good DT me thinks.

Gee Stanley looked to me to be about 185lbs. Assuming the kid I thought was him was him?

I agree with you on the farison part and big DT's. I think they have been rotating jimmy and Matt as the #1 depending on the day. McAllister is gonna be a really good center in my opinion, he is the nastiest offensive lineman they have. Yes they are young again up front but I think much improved from last season. Gee looks extremely small this year, not sure what he did this offseason if anything. He also can't play for the first few games so I hope he's game ready by conference play

stopped up briefly today and there was a totally different look on the OL, 4 freshman....

LT- Trevor hicks
LG- John Sheldon
C- eric McAllister
RG- Alex Minford
RT- Dylan young

Mundy is out with a concussion, however he was moved from the first team before that happened, Rene has been pulled from the first team, boyette and fennell also have been pulled from the first team. This is very interesting that they made the move this late in camp. With one week until game week and the start of school, I have a feeling that whoever is taking the first team reps at the end of next week may be the starters

I guess it is good if the first year guys are beating out the second year guys, but an all, or nearly all, freshmen line decreases my optimism for the season. Maybe it shouldn't. It is reasonable to think the second year guys are improved from last year, at least we hope so, so if the first year guys are beating them out they must be pretty darn good.

Certainly interesting to hear. As someone mentioned earlier, could be to see reaction. Who knows. A good sign if they recruited guys that can start, but I echo gormu, and makes me a bit nervous.

With 15 days till kickoff I hope they find the right combination up front soon. At least with a #1 QB behind them this group will have a chance to be successful. Tomorrow's scrimmage will give another look as to the growth of the returners and the ability of the freshmen. Should be fun. Hope to see some consistency on both sides of the ball.

Didn't get a whole lot. It rained, they played one series with the 1s and 3 plays with the 2s. Some things of note the first line is all freshmen and Mac as discussed previously. Looked 50/50. They ran ok nothing great but made movement. Passing as I said a QB can cure a lot and Jimmy is a QB that makes quick throws and reads. Except for the INT in the red zone that killed the drive. However Miller talked more to the WR after that then he did Jimmy. The second group only had three plays which did include Rene at RT and Fennell at LT on that line. Not a whole lot to discuss before the rain came.

Biggest note the battle at QB has eventually been made since Barr had a white shirt on today and was running Z receiver.

So the Battling #1 and returning QB with most experience at RMU is now a wideout.

A new line, a QB running WR, three deep at TE with really only one, a young DL looking for an anchor an under routes going for 10 AND 15 yds on our first team D.

Saddle up boys because the first 4 weeks aren't exactly easy.

mind_blown.gif

Biggest note the battle at QB has eventually been made since Barr had a white shirt on today and was running Z receiver.

Seriously? His decision or the coaches? I find that very odd unless they plan on having him rep both?

I had trouble wrapping my head around having 4 TRUE freshman start last year and it sounds as though we are abandoning that experience to do the same thing this year? Motivational tool perhaps to the returnees? I do not care what level of football you are at you will struggle starting 3-4 true freshman on the oline. If that is the case, much like last year, we will need every QB we can find. YSU had their two DE's from last year's team get drafted. They will not have the same kids this year but that is their level of caliber. Same with NDSU.

Wasn't Mundy a captain for a game last year? Started every game I think? Sophomore slump I guess?

Mundy was a captain at the end of last season, I do know he has a concussion currently. I'm really anxious to see this last week of practices because next week is Dayton week. I think the starters for Dayton will be taking all the reps by Friday, all decisions have got to me finalized before the week of your first game

I really would hope that was barrs choice to move to wr. It certainly makes next to no sense from an outside view. I guess Chase is #2 then?

Very puzzeling to say the least.

I think chase is the #2 now and freshman George Martin is the #3. Romanchak has also made the move to receiver

I might be making too much of it, but I still can't believe a QB, especially after last year, was close to Walker's ability has just been moved to wr. I really shocked and trying to give coaches benefit of doubt, but again, pretty shocking.

If anyone has seen, how has Chase and Martin looked?

Chase and Martin looked ok from the few practices I've seen. Physically Martin looks great. He is every bit of 6'5" and throws the ball with velocity all around the field. He and Chase will push each other I feel and grow nicely together. Chase has a great vision for the field. I like both options after Jimmy next yr.
Barr looked good too, however I'm betting he felt as a competator the need to be on the field and the race may have been to close to call so he chose WR as a way to stay on the field.

I think part of matts move to receiver had to be with the lack of a tall target as well. Think about it, the coaches lost 6'3 nic lamica to graduation, brought in 6'4 Aidan Howard as a transfer from uva and he tore his acl in spring ball, and then recruited 6'2 Anthony dellafemine from norwin and I've yet to see him in a jersey(not sure his issue), and 6'2 brandon Magee has been out with a concussion since the first week of camp, so all the guys they bring back that have experience are small targets.

Anu- 5'9
Vecchio- 5'10
Robinson- 5'9
Madison- 5'8

But this isn't RMC where there were no scholarships and you move players who were athletes to get them on the field. This is a scholarship FCS program and to me, it's a shock.

I was surprised on several levels. He was invested in and spent a lot of time getting reps. Now, if you believe he can help on the edge and you still give him QB reps I get it.

Is what surprised me the most was that after never playing WR he starts immediately. As someone mentioned, we are an FCS program. Athletes like Terrelle Pryor and Braxton Mller worked with private WR coaches to make the jump. I'm sure Barr knows the offense throughout but there are nuances to playing WR.

As I mentioned previously, with another young offensive line (sophs and froshs) we will need every QB we have at the ready with the schedule we play.

Can anyone tell me who started at LB for us? Wollett and Uhafate(spl?) and...?

Did someone say Jimmy Masson is not around?

How did Blake look running the ball? Ty, I assume that is your brother. It will be nice to have a back with some size this season.

Wollett and utahafe are the two starting inside backers. And yes jimmy Masson never made it back. I didn't see how cole looked Saturday I wasn't around but I know he feels good and the knee is 100%. He is hungrier than ever before after being held out a year, I personally think he's stronger now than he was before the injury and his explosiveness is there again as well. He entered camp at 215, I know he dropped a few pounds since

Good to hear about Blake. He could help out the o a ton. Glad to hear pretty positive reports on walker also. Still really surprised about Barr, but hell, maybe coaches have enough confidence if he is needed he can slide back in on limited reps.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT