ADVERTISEMENT

Position Battles in Camp:

He entered camp at 215

If he is the kid I saw a week or so ago he is pretty rocked up. I hope you were always nice to him when you were younger. :)

That is one thing always lost on folks who never played. I loved tackling 175 backs. After about 20 or so carries from a 215lber I'm darn near calling No Mas. That square up stick in the 1st quarter becomes a catch and drag in the 4th.

Haha he's a gentle beast, were the closest siblings you could ever meet. When he puts that helmet on he turns on the switch, never seen anything like it. The kid lost 2 toes in a lawnmower accident the summer before his senior year where he ran for 1800 yards and 25 touchdowns and lost a finger a few years before that. One of the hardest working people I've ever seen, I was a college athlete myself and never run into anybody like him

Do any of you guys that have seen the team in action have any clearer thoughts on possible depth chart?

I heard they may go live again Thursday since Saturday got rained out. I feel like the starters Thursday will be the day 1 starters

Ok thanks Ty. Getting awfully close. Am glad, regardless of how it happened they are narrowed down to a #1 qb.

Congrats to JImmy. I think it is a reasonable expectation that he will be the best QB we have had in a while and is capable of leading the team to a successful season
Matt Barr must be a great guy who is willing to do whatever it takes to help the team, in addition to being a good athlete. I will definitely be rooting for him, regardless of the position he plays.

By the way, on the roster on rmucolonials.com Barr is still listed as a QB, and Andrew Romanchak is listed as a WR.

The two younger guys at QB, Chase and George should be solid backups with bright futures. For whatever reason, George must have been overlooked by scouts in high school. I am glad that RMU was able to land him.

Hey he could sneak up and be the next Great out of Ringgold!!!

On the training camp video from week three is shows Matt Barr #2 working with the QBs and Andrew Romanchak #7 working with the WRs. That would make a whole lot more sense that it is Andrew that changed position, not Matt.

They both changed to receiver. Matt has an injury right now and wasn't in pads last night, but we only have 3 qb's now in red shirts

A few things from this article. I agree with coach that it shows what kind of person Barr is that he was willing to switch to a position to help his team out.
What concerns me is that we have a QB who probably never played WR already being talked about as a potential starter. What does that say about the other WRs on the roster? Do we have that many players hurt yet again to start the season?
I'm hoping that someone on here can attend the possible scrimmage on Thursday. It would be nice to have a discussion on the possible starting 11 for Offense and Defense.

The inter squad makeup scrimmage today is at 4 pm, I'm thinking the lineups you see today will probably be the lineup you see vs Dayton. I'm not able to make it, but I would love to see somebody else's observations and the starting lineups both ways

Did anyone get a chance to listen to the Coach Banny radio show last evening? I did not. If you did, let us know what was said.

Did anyone get a chance to listen to the Coach Banny radio show last evening? I did not. If you did, let us know what was said.
I took some time to listen to it and wanted to share some of the highlights. Can't say that I'm overly optimistic, especially with the offensive line:

GENERAL
- Banaszak is sick of losing to Dayton. Heh. Aren't we all?
- He noted it's been seven years since an NEC title for RMU and that the program needs to be competitive in the league again.
- Sounds like injuries are an issue again.
- Thinks the freshmen are the best class they've had at RMU and that a bunch of them will play early on, not just because of need but because they're the most talented.
- RMU will now be on the opposite sideline at Joe Walton Stadium. The visitors will be closer to the crowd while RMU is on the open end of the field. Banaszak said it's to try to limit noise and distractions, especially for his offense.
- Joked that it gives the Colonial Crazies a chance to get up close and personal with the opposing team.

OFFENSE
- Jimmy Walker is indeed the starter at QB. Banaszak said he was just a little bit ahead of Matt Barr after a good competition. Chase Bodeman and George Martin will back up. So technically three QBs, but...
- ...Banaszak said that if Walker were to get hurt for an extended period, Barr would probably move back to QB. Sounds like they're willing to let Barr play because he can help, but he's technically the No. 2.
- Barr volunteered to move to WR. Felt he could help the team. Banaszak said it was a great reflection of Barr willing to be a good teammate and that his size could be an advantage. Andrew Romanchak is also at WR.
- Harrison Dreher is suspended for the first game but Banaszak is high on his potential.
- Cole Blake and T.J. Neal will split carries against Dayton. Sounds like Jonathan Wanat will get some reps as a bigger back. Matt Holmes could play as a freshman as a fullback and tight end.
- Tim Vecchio had a hamstring injury early on but should be good to go. Warren Robinson had a really good game, according to Banaszak. DeLano Madison and Eldin Anu have had good camps, too. Also likes freshmen Zacchaeus Humphrey and Tavin Allison.
- Banaszak said Matt Gonzalez might have had the best camp out of anyone at TE. Dalton Elliott has a lot of promise but is still a bit green.
- Eric McAllister is the starting center. Matt Fennell and Rene Rodriguez have had competition and Banaszak said he won't hesitate to play a freshman in front of them if the freshman is better. Connor Mundy is back practicing (I think someone here said he had a concussion). Also mentioned Trevor Hicks, John Sheldon, Bussy Remaley and Dylan Young.
- Thought it was interesting he didn't mention the two JuCo linemen - Tyler Knight and Patrick Banning. You'd think they'd be more advanced. Don't know if they're hurt or just not clicking.

DEFENSE
- Andy Smigiera may be out for a bit early on. He may need hernia surgery but that's not for sure. That said, Banaszak likes the depth. Besides likely starters Ryan Richards, Travon Stott and Drew Allen, he singled out Myles Canton, John Muehlbauer and Heavon Price.
- Gee Stanley will be out for academic reasons early on.
- Sounds like Gerald Ferguson, Adam Wollet, Joe Uhatafe and Tyler Lamica at linebacker. Did mention they're a little banged up. Also mentioned Frank Antuono and David Steele
- Waiting on whether Mike Lamb will make transition to defensive line. Tore a triceps muscle putting his jersey on in first week.
- Amir Fenwick and Chris Stanford having "tremendous" camps. Also hyped up Derian Smith. Zack Zamiska is recovering from offseason shoulder surgery but should be ready for Dayton. Izon Pulley and Greg Rose should be part of the rotation.
- Really wants to be able to redshirt some freshmen. Can't be forced to play some because of injuries.

SPECIAL TEAMS
- Banaszak is still coaching special teams. Even does the scouting report himself. Leaves Farison and Miller to handle their sides of the ball.
- Frank Antuono will be the long-snapper.
- Adam Check has become more consistent with his punting.
- Freshman Nick Bisceglia will be the placekicker. Banaszak said he has a tremendous leg and could be a fixture for four years.

Reactions: Confusion23
Hard for me to explain how to do this, but if you goto 970's webpage, and hit the menu button (the little bars) and do on demand, then podcasts, speciality podcasts you can listen. I have the iheart radio app on phone, not sure if that is required or not.

Also, do we know much about this tavin Allison? Wr from Michigan, banny said he academically ineligible at Eastern Michigan. Could be a player.

Saw him make a couple catches at practice today, looks like he is getting reps and will be in the rotation at WR. He's about 6'2 or 6'3 so that definitely helps he is one of the few tall guys we have

You can also get ESPN 970 Pittsburgh on your PC or Tablet by going to the Iheart radio station website and doing a search for the station. I listened to it on Thursday night on my PC, even though I have it on my phone and tablet. Weird thing is they are not synced. One is always a few seconds ahead or behind the other.

Anyone have any thoughts/insights on who is going to start on Oline. I think the only guy Banny committed to on radio show was Mcallister.

I got a chance to briefly stop up today.
First team looked like this:

LT- Trevor hicks
LG-buddy remaley/John Sheldon
C- eric McAllister
RG- Alex Minford
RT- Dylan young

Second team looked like this:

LT-Matt fennell
LG- John Sheldon/bussy remaley
C- Connor mundy
RG-Justin boyette
RT- Rene Rodriguez

Reactions: LetsGoRoMo
4 OL with actual game experience are 2nd team heading into the season.
So RMU could start the 2017 season with 5 OL making their first college starts.

Thanks for update Ty.

I am not there and have not seen them, but I would think if it was marginal, they would rely on experience to start the season, at least a couple of the guys from last year would get the start, and if they falter maybe bring in a freshman and see what they can do.

If they are significantly better, then fine, but still that many freshman starting is tough. I suppose one plus is when they go against RMU #1s they are getting good reps in.

If this is the starting OL, they will have their hands full vs Dayton. While Dayton only returns one starter on their DL, they are a machine. They will stunt again and again to rush the passer and also on running downs.

I re-looked up some of these fresh oline, and they do have a lot of credentials. I wish nothing but best for team and guys, and I think we all know what situation the coach is in. Can't imagine they are not going to do what they think gives them best chance to win. So if they "out kicked their coverage" recruiting oline this year, that's great.

I got no horse in this race. I moved to Moon Township. for work 4 years ago from Columbus and being a fan of Banaczak in my youth I decided to follow RMU (I have two young kids). I'm not the type that calls out coaching. There are reasons for everything, many times that a fan cannot see, but boy is it getting tough.

I too cannot believe that we are giving up on experience. You just do not win ball games starting 5 freshman (4 TRUE freshman) on the offensive line. Not only against Dayton but YSU/VMI/SDSU/ETSU. Heck, you'd struggle with 5 sophomores with experience. Someone thought highly enough of Mundy to make him a captain by years end last year. I think Richardson does a great job. Hopefully his magic works with these young guys.

Did Romanchak move to WR on his own? Just curious because that kid got us through some tough games last year. And if last year shows anything it shows that if you start 5 freshman on the offensive line against our schedule you cannot have enough QBs.

Regardless, moving to WR is not a move that happens overnight. Uber talented NFL guys hire personal coaches to help make the transition to WR.

At least it looks as though the defense will be tough again. Since I began following RMU several years ago Fairson's D has been fun to watch. I really enjoy his patent 2 high look with head hunter safeties.

Last edited:
UD has 15 seniors and 4 red shirt seniors. RMU has 4 seniors and 2 red shirt seniors. It is difficult to take an 18 year old freshman and match him up with 21 to 23 year old upper class men. Barr runs much better than a 5.0. As a freshman he had 70 rushing, at then number 6 South Dakota State, in the first half prior to getting injured on a 50 plus yard run. He was a track sprinter in high school and was on the 4x100 team that finished seventh in the state of Ohio in Division I.

I do not have qualms with Barr, I just cannot understand the move? Kids make impulsive moves from time to time and RM has invested a lot of time with him at QB.

In my humble opinion we need Matt Barr at QB. For all the reasons you, myself, and Original_RMC have mentioned.

Thanks, I agree. RMU only lost to Dayton by three points two years ago and to Youngstown State in overtime when he was QB for both games in 2015, his freshman year. I believe skill players can make the move from high school to college as a freshmen and contribute. Offensive lineman not so much. I would also question moving Lamb to defense. Normally offensive linemen do not make good defensive lineman, as it is a completely different attitude and mind set. Hopefully it will work out well.

Matt did take reps as the #2 QB yesterday at practice, and he was rotating in at receiver. The kid is an athlete, I think you're gonna see him play at receiver and he's also the next guy up if something would happen to jimmy. I will also say that jimmy has looked excellent since being named starter. I'm sure some of that has to do with getting more consitent reps and not worrying about what's going to happen but he has looked very very impressive since being named the guy. This is the worst Dayton team I've seen in the last 4 years, subtract the starting quarterback and that makes them even less attractive. I've got a good feeling this is the fall rmu ends the streak!

The Game Notes might be posted today, hopefully no later than tomorrow.
We will start a new thread on Dayton once we get those Game Notes.

That is a great report on walker. Think, as someone else mentioned he will best qb Romo has had in awhile. Really looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Good, get the best kids on the field and win.

If true freshman are beating out sophs with experience then so be it. Get the best kids on the field.

There's been a lot of focus on quarterback play over the years, but I don't think it's any coincidence that RMU's struggles have also occurred while the offensive line has been in chaos.

I've never minded playing young guys on the line - Max Robertson, AJ Dalton, Carlos Andrade, Corey Konycki and so on all played well early - but you need to let them develop some cohesion. There hasn't been any there for years. Even in Walton's last years, when you had a few experienced hands up front, you still had random guys playing snaps because of injuries.

This program won't win again until they fix the line. Maybe these freshmen can do it, but we said that last year and now the guys who started last year are being benched.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT