ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason NEC Poll Out

Andrew_Chiappazzi

May 7, 2008
For the second consecutive year, the Northeast Conference had its annual media day at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn and online at NECFrontRow.com. The league issued its preseason All-NEC team and coaches poll, and once again Robert Morris is toward the top of the league.

The Colonials were picked to finish second in the NEC, receiving two first place votes. Wagner was chosen first with seven first place votes. Defending champion LIU Brooklyn, which lost star forward Julian Boyd to a knee injury for at least the first half of the season, was picked fourth.

2013-14 NEC Men's Basketball Preseason Coaches Poll
(First-Place Votes in Parenthesis)
1. Wagner (7)
2. Robert Morris (2)
Bryant
4. LIU Brooklyn (1)
5. Central Connecticut State
6. Mount St. Mary's
7. St. Francis Brooklyn
8. Sacred Heart
9. Saint Francis U.
10. Fairleigh Dickinson

Preseason All-NEC Team
G - Jason Brickman (LIU)
G - Kyle Vinales (CCSU)
G - Dyami Starks (Bryant)
F - Alex Francis (Bryant)
F - Jalen Cannon (SFNY)

This post was edited on 10/22 1:50 PM by Andrew_Chiappazzi

Two complaints. Don't know how you put Mount 6th (!!!!). Is Wiggins really that valuable? They return Whack, Prescott, and Norfleet. All 3 could finish on an All- NEC team, and Whack could be primed for a 1st team finish. Khalid Nwandu is one of the most talented freshman in the league and they have more depth for their particular system. Just don't see them finishing worse than 4th.

I'm also not a huge fan of Dyami Starks on the first team. He's a great player and merits a spot on the second team, but Lucky Jones, Kenny Ortiz, Latiff Rivers and Rashad Whack/Norfleet all bring more to the table in my opinion.

But hey what do I know! Cant wait for it to be decided on the court!!

Go Colonials!

Lucky definitely should be first team. Honestly, I think a healthy Karvel is first-team as well. I think we will struggle early as the new guys get some experience but really like our team and think we will be very tough once the league starts.

Go Colonials!

Luck should be on that 1st team he's going to go off now that it's his team!!!!!

RMU will again win the regular season but this year we wont lose at home in the NEC tournament!!!
Im hearing a lot of good things about the new guys! Cant wait for the season to start!!

Another thing to keep an eye out for: LIU is getting crushed with injuries. Not only is Julian Boyd out, but Nura Zanna is out for the season with a hand injury and a number of other players have missed significant portions of early practice, per our friends at NYBuckets.

If LIU can't shake the injury bug, which has hit other teams in other years, it could reshape the conference as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT