ADVERTISEMENT

Big stretch for hoops

ColonialInsider

Aug 26, 2017
RMU is currently ranked No. 282 in the KenPom rankings. They've played four top 75 teams, all losses. Beat Geneva and Howard, both far worse than RMU (and Geneva is a D3 team).

The two questionable losses - Marshall and UIC - are both ahead of RMU right now, but probably should have been wins.

That makes this next stretch big. RMU faces Cleveland State (323rd) tonight, YSU (253) on Wednesday, and FGCU (296) next Saturday. Those are all games RMU should win if it expects to be a contender in the NEC. It wraps up the non-conference schedule against tougher games versus CMU (171) and UNLV (172), but both of those are winnable games.

Time for RMU to show us what it's made of before the NEC schedule kicks in after the first of the year.

Good work pulling this together. I love your thought process & analysis ColonialInsider. I didn't realize Cl St is so low - the game is available on ESPN. You may not agree, I know we're 0-for against them, but Pitt did not play well and I feel that's a game more than a few of our prior teams would have won.

Last edited:
Reactions: LetsGoRomo2
Good work pulling this together. I love your thought process & analysis ColonialInsider. I didn't realize Cl St is so low - the game is available on ESPN. You may not agree, I know we're 0-for against them, but Pitt did not play well and I feel that's a game more than a few of our prior teams would have won.
I think Pitt's just a bad match-up because they're good defensively and they're long.

BTW, DJ Russell back in the rotation tonight. He just checked into the game. I don't think Deshawndre Washington is on the bench, and he didn't play in the blowout against Geneva (and Terrell Brown and Olisa Ngonadi did).

Completely agree with Marshall and UIC. Games they need to win. RMU would likely be ranked higher had they beat them.

Big stretch and would love to seem them get everything together. UNLV would be great win due to name recognition, though that may be due to my age!

Bad loss. Most unacceptable one of the season.

I'm concerned about this team's mental make-up. They completely lost their minds when Cleveland State upped the pressure and pressed them. Easy plays right in front of them to break the press, to slow the tempo, to make the extra pass, and RMU didn't make them.

I'm concerned about this team's mental make-up. They completely lost their minds when Cleveland State upped the pressure and pressed them. Easy plays right in front of them to break the press, to slow the tempo, to make the extra pass, and RMU didn't make them.
They do not respond well, and they stay in the funk for awhile and give up big runs.

Ya this loss to an above 300 ranked team makes me mad & not happy with the current state of this program.

I am hoping they can turn it around soon.
We’ll see...but good RMU teams in the past beat that Cleveland St. team 9/10 times.

We gotta be better...

Hard not to believe this team lacks leadership.

No reason for the last couple of performances, including tonight. It looks like Russell and Bramah didn't play. They must be banged up or something. But even without them, there's no excuse to give up 81 points to YSU.

What Andy Toole asks of his teams doesn't change from year to year. It always starts with defense. So when his message isn't upheld on the court by the players, that's a reflection of senior leadership, and that means it's on Josh Williams and Yannis Mendy. Probably Jon Williams, too, as a three-year starter.

Roster: Wilbon injured before the season, out for the season. He worked hard over the summer and likely would have been the starting small forward and a key contributor. Washington has only played a few minutes in one game, the UIC game. I have not noticed him on the bench, but I may be wrong about that. Does anyone know about his situation? Ngonadi apparently is viewed as a guy who needs another year to get better prepared to contribute and a possible redshirt candidate. He has now seen limited minutes in two games. I am not sure how much he can play without blowing the redshirt. Russell was under concussion protocol and missed a few games. I have no idea why he did not play last evening. Bramah looks to be a budding star player for the Colonials.
I am very curious as to why he did not play last evening. Unused scholarship, D-1 teams are allowed, 13 scholarship players.
RMU left one scholarship unused. Coach Toole has done this a few times in the past. It surprises me that a coach would leave unfilled scholarship roster spots considering there are always injuries, suspensions, the flu, players that leave the team, etc. and by January you can be down to 7 or 8 scholarship players. Before the season it looked as though RMU would have a very talented roster at least two-deep at every position, now I am getting concerned about how many players will be remaining for conference play.

Roster: Wilbon injured before the season, out for the season. He worked hard over the summer and likely would have been the starting small forward and a key contributor. Washington has only played a few minutes in one game, the UIC game. I have not noticed him on the bench, but I may be wrong about that. Does anyone know about his situation? Ngonadi apparently is viewed as a guy who needs another year to get better prepared to contribute and a possible redshirt candidate. He has now seen limited minutes in two games. I am not sure how much he can play without blowing the redshirt. Russell was under concussion protocol and missed a few games. I have no idea why he did not play last evening. Bramah looks to be a budding star player for the Colonials.
I am very curious as to why he did not play last evening. Unused scholarship, D-1 teams are allowed, 13 scholarship players.
RMU left one scholarship unused. Coach Toole has done this a few times in the past. It surprises me that a coach would leave unfilled scholarship roster spots considering there are always injuries, suspensions, the flu, players that leave the team, etc. and by January you can be down to 7 or 8 scholarship players. Before the season it looked as though RMU would have a very talented roster at least two-deep at every position, now I am getting concerned about how many players will be remaining for conference play.

Ya I had thought either Wilbon or Philemon Gebrewhit would be the starting SF. Now Wilbon is out for the year & (of course) Gebrewhit left the team.

Not easy being an RMU Hoops fan currently.

Colonials hung on to beat FGC. Good to see Bramah in the game. He didn't start but had a big game with 12 points and 8 rebounds, 6 for 7 from the line.

Big game by Bramah, Hawkins and McEwen off the bench. Much better D tonight for the most part.

If this team can play with Marquette - and should have won - then it can play with Central Michigan and UNLV. Rest up, work on some things during finals week, then see if they can finish strong before Xmas

Great effort by team, not just getting the win but fought hard all game. Hawkins can make is own shots and get to the rim, also plays with a lot of energy. McEwen also just a ton a ton of energy.

Agreed they can play with/beat the next 2. Would be huge to get the momentum going heading into conference games.

Great effort by team, not just getting the win but fought hard all game. Hawkins can make is own shots and get to the rim, also plays with a lot of energy. McEwen also just a ton a ton of energy.

Agreed they can play with/beat the next 2. Would be huge to get the momentum going heading into conference games.

At least 1 more win would be big going into conference play.

2 wins would be huge!

Let's get a nice crowd to cheer the Colonials on Tuesday against Central Michigan. Looks they'll be tough. CMU is 7-4 and they lost to Texas by 11 on Saturday, so they aren't coming off a long layoff like RMU. All their wins are at home and all losses are on the road, so let's hope that trend continues.

Really nice win against Central Michigan. Very evenly played with close to identical numbers for the two teams up and down the stat sheet. Josh had foul troubles but was disciplined and lead us in points and rebounds. Bramah had another nice game with at least 3 dunks including back to back possessions. Dante was very solid. Bain got the start over Bramah and had a tough scoring night, however he had a spurt where he scored all 8 of his points in rapid secession. Hit just enough free throws to win it down the stretch. I think they'll do okay in the NEC if they play that hard every night.

Much like the Marquette game, the UNLV game was one they should've won.

That said, the performance over the past three games is reason for cautious optimism headed into NEC play.

If they can play consistent defense, share the ball on offense, and limit turnovers, then RMU will be in the thick of it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT