ADVERTISEMENT

2018-19 Basketball Recruits

I believe that a lot of the possible transfers could hang against two things.
1. The status of the UPMC Event Center.

If the Event Center is not ready to host NEC games in January 2019, then we come to #2.
2. Where will the men's team play their home games?

The off campus 'home games' drew smaller than high school crowds (going be the look of the stands during these games).
I know the women's team love playing at the NAC but would the men's team want to play in a gym designed for students?

I know it would draw big crowds and be very loud.
So while we will more than likely have to wait until around the Final Four to get an idea on who might leave, we need to also note that those we pencil in as top returners could leave as well.

I'll start with Matty. Could he try for a very late TJ type of a move? I know he is going to be a Sr this year and would be interesting if he could graduate early and then transfer without sitting out. I would be very shocked if this happen but his family has a lot of connections.

It seems like Koby Thomas is a great young man and has an excellent future at RMU. But we all know that there are many whispers in one's ear from many different people. Could someone try to influence Koby that after the ROY that he could do better than RMU?

This is a sad state of college basketball across the map. While I look at the potential Depth Chart for next season and think NEC title / NCAA bid...nothing is set in stone until everyone is back on campus after the summer.

Matty is the least of our worries & I doubt he has enough credits in to Grad Transfer.

Something I found: This article says Shead left his JuCo team and withdrew from school early January, article posted January 11th. http://www.lubbockonline.com/sports...nstitute-upsets-south-plains-college-men-home

He announced his commitment to RMU about a month before this. No idea what this all means, but something to track.

Also, on instagram he no longer follows RMU Basketball & their players & it looks none of them follow him either...

Interesting...maybe he’s not coming?

I'd say based on all of that it's pretty clear Shead is no longer in RMU's plans.

It appears that RMU is targeting more high school/prep school guys right now. Maybe Bior will be the only JuCo guy now. All of the current JuCo offers that are out there were sent out in the summer or fall. You could always have late additions - we've seen that a lot, in fact, with Karvel Anderson and Rodney Pryor the most notable ones. But it definitely seems the focus is on 4-year guys right now.

Guards Koreem Ozier, Tykai Greene and Cameron Wilbon were all offered in the last month or two. Same with forwards Sage Tolbert and Sarion McGee.

I'd also say right now it doesn't look like RMU is recruiting like it needs to replace a lot. It's recruiting exactly like I would expect a team that has a lot of key guys coming back.

I'd say based on all of that it's pretty clear Shead is no longer in RMU's plans.

It appears that RMU is targeting more high school/prep school guys right now. Maybe Bior will be the only JuCo guy now. All of the current JuCo offers that are out there were sent out in the summer or fall. You could always have late additions - we've seen that a lot, in fact, with Karvel Anderson and Rodney Pryor the most notable ones. But it definitely seems the focus is on 4-year guys right now.

Guards Koreem Ozier, Tykai Greene and Cameron Wilbon were all offered in the last month or two. Same with forwards Sage Tolbert and Sarion McGee.

I'd also say right now it doesn't look like RMU is recruiting like it needs to replace a lot. It's recruiting exactly like I would expect a team that has a lot of key guys coming back.

I still would like RMU to add a big man/Center to this new recruiting class. Only way they could not is if they are sure that Petteway is on schedule to be back & healthy for next season. Him & Cole could handle the 5 spot good enough.

Even with both, however, a big man (maybe JUCO) addition would be welcomed for just depth purposes alone.

After one looks at Bior’s highlights, he looks to be more of a 3 or 4 (prob a 4) in RMU’s system but not a 5.

Go RMU

I still would like RMU to add a big man/Center to this new recruiting class. Only way they could not is if they are sure that Petteway is on schedule to be back & healthy for next season. Him & Cole could handle the 5 spot good enough.

Even with both, however, a big man (maybe JUCO) addition would be welcomed for just depth purposes alone.

After one looks at Bior’s highlights, he looks to be more of a 3 or 4 (prob a 4) in RMU’s system but not a 5.

Go RMU
Sarion McGee, who RMU offered a month ago, would be a 5. He's 6-8, 240.

Shead seemed like he was a major past first guard, never getting close to 10 points per game but averaging a team high 6 assists per game. While it wouldnt hurt to have a few of those type of guys, Jon Williams is younger, has a year at this level under his belt, and plays that style, while appearing to be a much better shooter. Just a thought.

Shead seemed like he was a major past first guard, never getting close to 10 points per game but averaging a team high 6 assists per game. While it wouldnt hurt to have a few of those type of guys, Jon Williams is younger, has a year at this level under his belt, and plays that style, while appearing to be a much better shooter. Just a thought.

True but who will help back up at PG?

Josh Williams or Matty maybe? Burke?

I hope not a lot. Is there anything that can stem this tide of transfers?
A new arena will help, but the most painful departures have been guys looking for a bigger stage. I'm afraid that won't happen without a conference change, and who knows if that's even in the cards right now.

I think the conference change needs to happen. That and the gym will make a big difference. One his is certain, Toole can identify and recruit talent. Keeping it on campus is a different matter. If he were to get a shot a bigger school, and had the guys he had here and they stuck, would have had a hell of a team.

Not sure if the fact that things remain quiet is a sign of hope that the guys in question are rethinking transferring or just wishful thinking.

Just a thought, probably not a great one, actually 2. If I were coach Toole I would figure there are 2 ways to go about recruiting or a mix of both..
1. Pretend you are Kentucky and know it is get best you can and relaize they are one and done (transfer to a bigger school).
2. Get guys that are raw/can develop over a couple years and then play when older (Dayton football).

Probably crazy or silly, but just a thought.

Just a thought, probably not a great one, actually 2. If I were coach Toole I would figure there are 2 ways to go about recruiting or a mix of both..
1. Pretend you are Kentucky and know it is get best you can and relaize they are one and done (transfer to a bigger school).
2. Get guys that are raw/can develop over a couple years and then play when older (Dayton football).

With option 1 you spend a lot of time and effort and the kid ends up going somewhere else, like when a school from a bigger conference that comes in at the last minute. Regarding 2, like this year many times we need guys to come in and at least help out their first year. JC and transfers may be a good continuing strategy for part of each class. These players are less likely to move again in their short time left. Over the years many of our best players were transfers that wanted to come home.

Or combine them and get every option.

Some real good dudes who may leave.

Some people who will develop like David Cole.

Bonus: & Get some real talented JUCO’s like Karvel Anderson or Pryor.

With option 1 you spend a lot of time and effort and the kid ends up going somewhere else, like when a school from a bigger conference that comes in at the last minute. Regarding 2, like this year many times we need guys to come in and at least help out their first year. JC and transfers may be a good continuing strategy for part of each class. These players are less likely to move again in their short time left. Over the years many of our best players were transfers that wanted to come home.

& with option 1 u still have to bring those guys in & see if they will stay...some will.

Reactions: LetsGoRoMo
Just a tough spot in NEC. Lots of history, with RMU alone, of players moving on for greener pastures.

My thought is Toole will be able to recruit in any conference, and get good players. He and assistants find diamonds, but have trouble keeping them. How much higher of a conference does he need to keep them? I do not know the answer.

The good thing seems to be he is dedicated to RMU, though he may regretting not moving on when he had the chance.

I know the reasons why it would not be a fit, but the Patriot leauge may help kieepkekids as they are more academically focused. If lax keeps it up, that is attractive for the leauge also, and do not underestimate the the lax donors at PL leauge schools.

Would be great travel wise for every sport that fits, RMU academics may not be there yet, but are improving and being inPL would help them improve expoentexpone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT