ADVERTISEMENT

2018-19 Basketball Recruits

ColonialInsider

Aug 26, 2017
So with the season over, we've already started talking about who is coming back and what RMU needs to add to the basketball roster. I figured we could add any news and developments to this thread.

As a base, here's who is graduating, coming back, who has committed and may be transferring/leaving. I included what class they'll be next year.

Graduating - F Ronnie Gombe, F Xavier Williams
Leaving - G Teavon Ashmeade (Sr.), G Leondre Washington (So.), G Dachon Burke (Jr.)
Coming back - G Josh Williams (RJr.,), G Jon Williams (So.), F David Cole (RSo.), F Malik Petteway (Sr.), F Koby Thomas (So.), F Charles Bain (So.), G Matty McConnell (Sr.), F Chris Coalman (So.)
Verbal commitments - F Atem Bior (Jr.), F Elijah Kiah El (Fr.)
Walk-ons - Seth Rouse (Sr.), Nick Castelveter (So.)

Current Depth Chart
PG -
Jon Williams (So.)
SG - Matty McConnell (Sr.),
SF/3G - Josh Williams (RJr.), Atem Bior (Jr.), Elijah Kiah El (Fr.)
PF - Koby Thomas (So.), Charles Bain (So.), Chris Coalman (So.)
C - David Cole (RSo.), Malik Petteway (Sr.)

Probable needs - With the apparent loss of former commit Greg Shead due to his dismissal from his JuCo team, Robert Morris definitely needs at least one more true point guard. RMU may want to add a high school age shooting guard, too, considering its other options at the position are older. A freshman big man who could play the five is likely the other target. If Petteway's health is an issue and that scholarship opens up, RMU will need to add an experienced big to help Cole.

Recent Offers
While VerbalCommits.com lists more offers, these are the ones that have been made in the past couple months and appear to be more relevant.

High School Guards
SG Tykei Greene (6'4, 185) - https://verbalcommits.com/players/tykei-greene
PG Koreem Ozier (6'1, 170) - https://verbalcommits.com/players/koreem-ozier
SG Cameron Wilbon (6'5, 190) - https://verbalcommits.com/players/cameron-wilbon

High School Forwards
PF Sage Tolbert (6'7, 200) - https://verbalcommits.com/players/anderson-tolbert-iii
PF Sarion McGee (6'8, 240) - https://verbalcommits.com/players/sarion-mcgee

Last edited:
Good work, Colonialinsider.

I am curious about Xavier Williams. He was injured in a car wreck before the season started. He did not play any, to my knowledge he did not even practice any. Was he, or is he a student, that is, a graduate student this year? Is it possible that he could be on the team next year? He has size, and also some talent, from what I was told, although in two previous stops at D-1 schools he hardly played or produced.

I am curious about Xavier Williams. He was injured in a car wreck before the season started. He did not play any, to my knowledge he did not even practice any. Was he, or is he a student, that is, a graduate student this year? Is it possible that he could be on the team next year? He has size, and also some talent, from what I was told, although in two previous stops at D-1 schools he hardly played or produced.
I can't find it now, but I thought I read something back in January or so that Williams had setbacks in his recovery and RMU was basically helping him study from home so he could graduate with his MBA or something like that. Definitely sounded like his basketball career was over.

He is a Grad Transfer & sadly I don't think Grad transfers can get a medical RS.

So with the season over, we've already started talking about who is coming back and what RMU needs to add to the basketball roster. I figured we could add any news and developments to this thread.

As a base, here's who is graduating, coming back, who has committed and may be transferring/leaving. I included what class they'll be next year.

Graduating - F Ronnie Gombe, F Xavier Williams
Likely leaving - G Teavon Ashmeade (Sr.), G Leondre Washington (So.)
Coming back - G Josh Williams (RJr.,), G Jon Williams (So.), F David Cole (RSo.), F Malik Petteway (Sr.), F Koby Thomas (So.), G Dachon Burke (Jr.), F Charles Bain (So.), G Matty McConnell (Sr.), F Chris Coalman (So.)
Verbal commitments - G Greg Shead (Jr.), F Atem Bior (Jr.)
Walk-ons - Seth Rouse (Sr.), Nick Castelveter (So.)

Current Depth Chart
PG -
Jon Williams (So.), Greg Shead (Jr.)
SG - Matty McConnell (Sr.), Josh Williams (RJr.)
SF - Dachon Burke (Jr.), Atem Bior (Jr.)
PF - Koby Thomas (So.), Charles Bain (So.), Chris Coalman (So.)
C - David Cole (RSo.), Malik Petteway (Sr.)

Probable needs - Another guard and another true big man. I'd say it's likely both would be incoming freshmen, just to even out the classes. If Petteway's health is an issue, a junior college big man is possible.

Potential Targets
These are from VerbalCommits. I only included relatively recent offers, because there are a couple on there that haven't had an updated offer in like two years.

JuCo Guards
PG Tobias Howard (6'2, 185) - https://verbalcommits.com/players/tobias-howard
SG Brian Fobbs (6'4, 195) - https://verbalcommits.com/players/brian-fobbs

JuCo Forwards
SF Christian Gray (6'6, 215) - https://verbalcommits.com/players/christian-gray
PF Shaquille Rombley (6'8, 215) - https://verbalcommits.com/players/shaquille-rombley
PF Justin Tucker (6'7, 225) - https://verbalcommits.com/players/justin-tucker
C Willesley Butler (6'8, 220) - https://verbalcommits.com/players/willesley-butler
PF Amir Allen (6'8, 212, would have 3 years) - https://verbalcommits.com/players/amir-allen

High School Guards
PG Kyle Lofton (6'3, 170) - https://verbalcommits.com/players/kyle-lofton
SG Dereon Seabron (6'5) - https://verbalcommits.com/players/dereon-seabron
SG Tykei Greene (6'4, 185) - https://verbalcommits.com/players/tykei-greene

High School Forwards
SF Manel Ayol (6'7, 187) - https://verbalcommits.com/players/manel-ayol
PF Sarion McGee (6'8, 240) - https://verbalcommits.com/players/sarion-mcgee

Great post btw! Way to get this thread going...

Based on the stats he's been putting up, I would like RMU to land JUCO guard Fobbs. Has some great shooting #'s/%'s that could possibly transfer over to D1.

We shifted gears pretty fast after losing to Wagner. Great post to start the thread! A big man named Shaquille has to be good right?

We shifted gears pretty fast after losing to Wagner. Great post to start the thread! A big man named Shaquille has to be good right?
Only averages 7ppg and 7rpg, but he was still first team all-conference for his JuCo squad.

For those curious, the most recent offers on that list were to high school forward Sarion McGee, JuCo guard Brian Fobbs and high school guard Tykei Greene. Sometimes that indicates the most recent line of thinking for the staff.

RMU is still Fobbs' only D1 offer. I think the staff may want a more consistent outside shooter, even if it's just a bench guy.

Only averages 7ppg and 7rpg, but he was still first team all-conference for his JuCo squad.

For those curious, the most recent offers on that list were to high school forward Sarion McGee, JuCo guard Brian Fobbs and high school guard Tykei Greene. Sometimes that indicates the most recent line of thinking for the staff.

RMU is still Fobbs' only D1 offer. I think the staff may want a more consistent outside shooter, even if it's just a bench guy.

Matty McConell, yet again, played really well in the conference tournament for the 2nd year in a row.

Can he improve his 3-pt shooting &a overall FG% next year.

Realistically, he could shoot for 35% from 3 & 40% overall & he can be over 80% from the line.

If he does that, he should keep his spot in the starting lineup as Josh Williams will be contending for major time next year.

I just know what I hear, but everything I hear is Josh Williams is best player on team. Now if that is true or not we will see. But from my information he will be an absolute stud. Gonna be a fight for minutes if they can get a true big to play 5 for the guards.

Nothing makes a team better than internal competition for minutes if it is true competition and guys want to fight for it.

Verbal Commits just added an offer to HS senior Koreem Ozier, a 6'0 PG. Has offers from Sacred Heart and Grambling St. His highlight video shows impressive agility and workouts. Can't tell a lot from the basketball clips. Seems more of a drive and dish or pull up jumper guy, not a long distance shooter.

Great outline Colonial Insider.

My first thought, this team was so freaking young this season, and I know it was mentioned, but I don't think it was truly put into context. That depth chart goes a long way. Only McConnell would actually graduate next season (I think Malik could get a medical hardship year if he were to pursue it).

A few notes to pass along. I've heard Pettaway continues to battle some health issues. I don't want to speculate or put anything out there, but there was good reason the team didn't have a timeline, and I still don't think anyone knows his exact future at this point in time.

Transfers.....that scary word. The above two are all but certainly gone. Ashmeade and Washington were both away from the team, and I would be pretty shocked if either returned. Now the big two....Burke and Thomas. We'll see. I haven't heard anything indicating they want to transfer, as I had in the past with Reed, Pryor, and Still. We will see...

As for Josh Williams. I too have heard he has looked REALLY good. Robert Morris would have the best group of guards in the league with Jon Williams, Josh Williams, Burke, and McConnell.

Also of note: I've heard that the athletic program is still holding out hope they can play basketball in the new arena next season, hoping by the start of NEC play, even if it isn't 100 percent completed. Regardless, I hope RMU plays all their home games on campus next year.

Great outline Colonial Insider.

My first thought, this team was so freaking young this season, and I know it was mentioned, but I don't think it was truly put into context. That depth chart goes a long way. Only McConnell would actually graduate next season (I think Malik could get a medical hardship year if he were to pursue it).

A few notes to pass along. I've heard Pettaway continues to battle some health issues. I don't want to speculate or put anything out there, but there was good reason the team didn't have a timeline, and I still don't think anyone knows his exact future at this point in time.

Transfers.....that scary word. The above two are all but certainly gone. Ashmeade and Washington were both away from the team, and I would be pretty shocked if either returned. Now the big two....Burke and Thomas. We'll see. I haven't heard anything indicating they want to transfer, as I had in the past with Reed, Pryor, and Still. We will see...

As for Josh Williams. I too have heard he has looked REALLY good. Robert Morris would have the best group of guards in the league with Jon Williams, Josh Williams, Burke, and McConnell.

Also of note: I've heard that the athletic program is still holding out hope they can play basketball in the new arena next season, hoping by the start of NEC play, even if it isn't 100 percent completed. Regardless, I hope RMU plays all their home games on campus next year.

I agree that we would have a great chance at winning the league if the squad sticks together.

Also, I agree that they should play all their home games on campus. PPG/Palumbo experiment didn't really work. Program isn't big enough yet to have home games off campus.

Hopefully, they can get UPMC Events ready by the time of conference play. And, maybe play a couple games of the OOC schedule at the NAC on campus.

Is it RMU's turn to host Duquesne this year? If so, wonder where the game will be?

#GoRMU

Yes, it is their turn to "host" but I can see that game being at PPG or back on the Dukes campus, with RMU hosting when the arena is ready.

Ya even if they do some OOC games at the NAC on campus, I doubt they would play Duquesne there as some of their fans would come to the game too.

We played our home game against Duquesne at PPG in 2016-17. I would like to get this game and others back on campus too. I like the PG they just offered and I think he could step into Washington's role next year.

We played our home game against Duquesne at PPG in 2016-17. I would like to get this game and others back on campus too. I like the PG they just offered and I think he could step into Washington's role next year.

I mean even without adding another person, if just Washington would leave Josh Williams could take his playing time easily.

Just from what I hear again, but would be shocked if Josh Williams is not playing big minutes next year.

It wouldn't surprise me if Matty comes off the bench next year if Josh Williams plays as well as expected. Toole has done it before with seniors he trusts. They still play 30 minutes, but the idea is they can provide leadership for a younger group early on so that RMU can build a lead.

It wouldn't surprise me if Matty comes off the bench next year if Josh Williams plays as well as expected. Toole has done it before with seniors he trusts. They still play 30 minutes, but the idea is they can provide leadership for a younger group early on so that RMU can build a lead.

Well he eventually had Lucky Jones come off the bench even tho he was definitely one of the team's best players. It was mainly because he was complaining & frustrated but it worked for that team.

I would be surprised if Matty didn't start the year in a starting role but he definitely could lose it if he doesn't perform.

The spring letter of intent period is April 11th to May 16th.

It seems to me that typically the players that are mentioned on Verbal Commits or other sites as having been "offered" by RMU usually are not the guys they sign.
Most times the guys they actually sign are ones that we have never heard of before. Maybe this year will be different. It's still fun to follow.

The spring letter of intent period is April 11th to May 16th.

It seems to me that typically the players that are mentioned on Verbal Commits or other sites as having been "offered" by RMU usually are not the guys they sign.
Most times the guys they actually sign are ones that we have never heard of before. Maybe this year will be different. It's still fun to follow.
The two JC guys who have committed may be different. I enjoy following the recruiting too. It's one more form of competition and it lays the groundwork for future results.

Yes, I was not referring to the guys who "commit," I was referring to the guys who are just "offered."

Yes, I was not referring to the guys who "commit," I was referring to the guys who are just "offered."

Right a lot of times Toole will find a good recruit (like Pryor I think) that will sign/commit to RMU the same time verbal commits will show RMU offered.

Actually I've seen numerous times when the main RMU page on VC shows an offer, but the player page shows as committed.

That's what I was wondering. Although, I believe Coach Toole made the comment last year that they just have to keep recruiting regardless because they just do not know if there will be holes in the roster or not.

We probably won't have any idea of the shape of the roster for a couple weeks yet. Isaiah Still, Rodney Pryor and Marcquise Reed all transferred at the end of March and first couple days of April. In other words, around the time of the Final Four.

The fact that we haven't heard rumblings yet has me cautiously optimistic, but only barely.

Regardless, RMU has four spots available right now as it is with two grad seniors and two likely departures in Washington/Ashmeade. Assuming Greg Shead and Atem Bior are still committed, it's likely RMU wants another guard/wing and a big. So this new offer fits that.

I believe that a lot of the possible transfers could hang against two things.
1. The status of the UPMC Event Center.

If the Event Center is not ready to host NEC games in January 2019, then we come to #2.
2. Where will the men's team play their home games?

The off campus 'home games' drew smaller than high school crowds (going be the look of the stands during these games).
I know the women's team love playing at the NAC but would the men's team want to play in a gym designed for students?

I know it would draw big crowds and be very loud.
So while we will more than likely have to wait until around the Final Four to get an idea on who might leave, we need to also note that those we pencil in as top returners could leave as well.

I'll start with Matty. Could he try for a very late TJ type of a move? I know he is going to be a Sr this year and would be interesting if he could graduate early and then transfer without sitting out. I would be very shocked if this happen but his family has a lot of connections.

It seems like Koby Thomas is a great young man and has an excellent future at RMU. But we all know that there are many whispers in one's ear from many different people. Could someone try to influence Koby that after the ROY that he could do better than RMU?

This is a sad state of college basketball across the map. While I look at the potential Depth Chart for next season and think NEC title / NCAA bid...nothing is set in stone until everyone is back on campus after the summer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT