ADVERTISEMENT

Position battles overrated?

Chris Cappella

Mar 14, 2012
Hi all, hope you checked out my quick blurb on camp so far. I feel bad for not having quotes involved, but unfortunately worked while practice took place during a rare morning session. I'm still a rookie too!

The more I thought about it, the more I came to the conclusion that outside of the quarterback competition, I think things will really work themselves out as the games start to count for real.

Here's what I mean:

The coaching staff might now have an idea on what they want at wide receiver. Mitchell and Williams will be on the outside and I think it is likely that gavin see's time at WR3 to begin. However, with how fast the offense moves so many different wide receivers are going to get on the field. One play Mitchell, Williams, and Gavin could be in, and the next could see Chaq Nettles, Chad Dawgiello, and Uni Akpan. And what if Nettles catches two passes in a row and starts to get going? Perhaps the staff just rides the hot hand and this is how reps will be divided. I'm sure each game will be gameplan specific, but the point is I wouldn't get too carried away in depth charts.

This offense will be new to me. No longer will I'll be able to sit on the radio and mentally call out the plays and what are the keys.
But I hope that the staff does not rotate the WRs like in previous years. Mitchell is one of the best WRs in the NEC, why remove him from the game? If Williams is that good as a freshmen then play him.
And the most important thing, RMU is breaking in a new QB. Shuffling WRs in and out will disrupt timing between the QB and WRs. The QB needs to develop that 'trust factor' with his WRs. If the new QB goes back to pass and trusts that Mitchell will be in the correct position for any pattern, what good does it do the offense or the team if he is on the sidelines.

I know players need breaks from time to time but we need the best 11 out there.
Hopefully after tonight we will have an idea on the depth chart. I have heard some things about some young players really stepping up and pushing to start.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT