ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting and important year for basketball recruiting

In the Pgh Sports Now article on Flavors, they close by stating: Look for (RMU) to try and still bring in a wing player and another guard.

In the past, as with most D-1 coaches, it has seemed that Coach Toole delegated the responsibility to his assistants to make the initial contacts with potential recruit, then he would get involved later in the process. In reading the comments by a couple of these players that have announced they are transferring to RMU, it seems Coach Toole has been making the initial contact and making it early after a player enters the transfer portal, and then consistently staying in contact. I gather that has made the difference in RMU getting commitments from these talented and experienced players. Whatever is being done, it seems to be working. Go Colonials!

Olissa Ngonadi has entered the transfer portal. The only thing surprising about this one is that it didn't happen sooner. Olissa came in as a raw talent. He played a total of 29 minutes as a freshman and 80 minutes this past season. With the transfers coming in plus Kahliel it would seem unlikely that he would be getting much playing time next season either. With his departure, the entire NEC Championship team from last year is gone, and there are only three players from the roster of this past season left on the team. Is this the future of college basketball, a total, or near total, turnover of the roster every year? If I am counting correctly, RMU now has four scholarships remaining. Just guessing, there will be one more NCAA transfer brought in, one or two JUCOs and one or two high school recruits. It just seems that a lot of kids are transferring this year just because they can rather than having a good reason to do so. I suppose after this COVID year a lot of guys just want a change of scenery. I can understand that.

So at this stage, Robert Morris has three players coming back who were on the roster last year - Enoch Cheeks, Kam Farris, and Khalil Spear. Maybe some of the walk-ons will be back.

Got to give Michael Green III a lot of style points on his tweet. This recruiting (transfer) class is beyond anything I ever thought possible at RMU. I am ready to buy NCAA Tournament tickets. Go Colonials!

I don't think it'll be this crazy every year since everyone got an extra year of eligibility. At least I hope not. Green is the other PG we needed. A 2/3 wing and a backup big man would be nice.

Hitting the reset button now that things have settled a bit.

Ferron Flavors, Rasheem Dunn and Michael Green III have all signed as evidenced by their introductions on RMU's social media. Tristan Jeffries is signed as of a press release in November. Brandon Stone and Justin Winston were with the team during the season as mid-year transfers, and I assume Mattia Acunzo's paperwork will be settled soon.

So here's what things look like so far.

PG -- Rasheem Dunn (6'2, 190, RSr.) // Michael Green III (5'11, 155, Jr.)
SG -- Ferron Flavors (6'3, 190, RSr.) // Kam Farris (6'3, 165, So.) //
G/F -- Enoch Cheeks (6'3, 190, So.) // Tristan Jeffries (6'6, 185, Fr.)
PF -- Khalil Spear (6'7, 220, Sr.) // Mattia Acunzo (6'8, 225, RSo.)
C -- Brandon Stone (6'11, 200, So.) // Justin Winston (6'8, 215, So.)

That leaves three scholarships left. Names to watch:
SF Kalil Camera (6'6, 185) - Junior college player who is announcing his commitment on April 24.
SG Denver Jones (6'4, 200) - Junior college shooter with three years of eligibility.
PG Keon Thompson (6'1, 175) - High school senior sorting through some offers, including some other Horizon League schools

Also, keep in mind that this high school season was difficult for coaches to manage. No AAU events. No scouting trips. I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of high school players go the junior college route. And with college players getting an extra year of eligibility, there may be a few more transfers.

A school like RMU may be better off not bringing in many freshmen at all this year and instead hitting the prep ranks hard for 2022.

Thanks for the recap ColonialInsider. We all need to remember the NCAA gave everyone a do over this year, so Farris, Cheeks & Acunzo still have 4 years of eligibility and so on down the line. What a year.

Thanks CI. I think no reason wasting time with HS seniors unless impact players. Just transfers and JUCO at this point. This team theoretically has more talent then any team I have for RMU. Have a chance to win HL.

I heard that one reason Winston was not happy at St. Bonaventure is that Schmidt wanted him to play inside. Winston has the talent to play either forward positions. If he plays SF, RMU could have a big front line. Of course, Toole likes players that can play multiple positions. Go Colonials!

I heard that one reason Winston was not happy at St. Bonaventure is that Schmidt wanted him to play inside. Winston has the talent to play either forward positions. If he plays SF, RMU could have a big front line. Of course, Toole likes players that can play multiple positions. Go Colonials!
Spear, Stone and Accunzo also have some range. RMU may be able to really spread the floor.

Reactions: LetsGoRomo2
RMU just offered two HS juniors, both forwards. I don't know if that is due to an open recruiting period for underclassmen, or if it backs up the theory that they go the transfer/JC route this year and go back to prep kids next year.

RMU just offered two HS juniors, both forwards. I don't know if that is due to an open recruiting period for underclassmen, or if it backs up the theory that they go the transfer/JC route this year and go back to prep kids next year.
The Pitt JamFest is this weekend. It likely stems from that. Class of 2021 players aren't participating, I believe.

RMU gets a commitment from 6'8 forward Matt Mayers from Hutchinson CC. He had huge improvement from first to second years and put up almost 18 ppg and 60% from the field. Mayers is more of an inside player which I think was sorely needed with all the big men who shoot threes. Tulsa and Illinois St were the other finalists.

Last edited:
Looks as though Matt Mayers was heavily recruited with a lot of actual offers from D-1. Great job by RMU coaches on winning the recruiting battle. Mayers was the MVP in the JayHawk West. The JayHawk Conference is a very strong JUCO conference and Hutchinson is traditionally a top program. From what I can find on video, Mayers is not a flashy, athlete type, he is just a very good rebounder and inside scorer. If he is also a solid defender, then he is going to help the Colonials compete for the Horizon League title. With Mayers, the recruiting class consist of 6 D-1 transfers, 1 JUCO and one high school recruit. With three returning players, that leaves two scholarships still available.

Question, Mayers played two years of JUCO including this past season. Does he have two years or three years remaining, that is, do JUCO transfers get the extra year of eligibility due to COVID?

The more I read about Winston and seeing what Mayers brings to the table, I think Winston is going to play the 3 for RMU.

Put him and Jeffries at the 3.

This is without question the biggest team Andy Toole has ever had.

PG -- Rasheem Dunn (6'2, 190, RSr.) // Michael Green III (5'11, 155, Jr.)
SG -- Ferron Flavors (6'3, 190, RSr.) // Kam Farris (6'3, 165, So.) // Enoch Cheeks (6'3, 190, So.)
G/F -- Justin Winston (6'8, 215, So.) // Tristan Jeffries (6'6, 185, Fr.)
PF -- Khalil Spear (6'7, 220, Sr.) // Mattia Acunzo (6'8, 225, RSo.)
C -- Brandon Stone (6'11, 200, So.) // Matt Mayers (6'8, 210, Jr.)

This team is going to have guys that can run, that can drive to the basket, that can score inside and outside. This team is going to have so many more options on offense than we are used to seeing on an RMU team. I am so excited about the talented big guys coming in, but I think I am even more excited about the three guards coming in with their experience, maturity, talent, toughness and scoring ability. This is going to be fun! Go Colonials!

I'm an East Carolina fan. I have been looking at some of the transfer classes assembled (mostly because I'm annoyed by how bad we suck in the portal) and you guys have a stud class IMO. Below are their peak seasons (shows proven ceiling), and as you can see these were big time contributors on some solid quality teams as well.....

C-6-8, 225.....6ppg, 3.5rpg,..........20 PER... for #67 NET Toledo
F-6-8, 225.....9ppg, 3.5rpg, ........15 PER, .... for #122 NET St Bonventure
G-6-3, 190....13.5ppg, 3.5rpg, .....16 PER.. ....for #200 NET Cal Baptist
G-6-2, 190.....12ppg,4rpg, 3.5apg..15 PER......for #62 NET St. John's
G 5-11,155.....16ppg, 4rpg,4apg......14 PER....for #126 NET Bryant

6-11, 200.....3.0ppg, 2.6rpg,........10 PER.....for #171 NET LaSalle
6-8, 210.......18ppg, 9.5rpg.....1st team JUCO All American
6-6, 195 Freshman, offers: Fairfield, Manhattan, Columbia

I would have loved to have your class. Your coach is like the transfer whisper. Must be something in the water up there because Duquesene class is awesome too. We got 6 freshman coming in and I'm just looking at teams like yours putting together experienced teams that will compete frustrated. Nice class, congrats.

I'm interested in who you will land with those last 2 since he can be pretty selective now he's got the bulk locked in, you got any known targets.

I was just coming to post how excited I am about this class coming in, and an ol' pirate beat me to it with a lot more info than I would have.

This will clearly be the most talented team RMU has ever had. As long as the guys buy into Toole, I am really positive on what can happen.

What is truly great, as our black bearded friend mentioned, is there are 2 spots left. And, as we know, talent begets talent. Going to be a lot of transfers looking at what Toole has assembled and would want to be apart of it.

Know long way off, and chemistry has mesh, but guys, how exciting this season could be. Would not happen in NEC and would not happen without new arena. Go Bobby Mo!

Andy Toole has put together an impressive roster, probably the most complete, that is, having quality players and depth at every position, in RMU history. As a great basketball strategist, Toole will now have lots of options when planning for various opponents and situations.

There is a nice highlight video of Jaron Williams on Youtube. In some ways he reminds me of Josh Williams, not flashy, just a smart and under control player who can make a slight move or motion to free himself of a defender to take an open shot.

Go Colonials!

RMU has offered Juco 6'2 SG Brian Moore. That might suggest at least one of the two remaining freshmen from last year is leaving. Moore averaged 18.4 ppg and 59% from the floor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT