ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting and important year for basketball recruiting

GoRMU

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Free agency in college basketball is wide open. Seniors, rather than being out of eligibility can play another year of college ball. D-1 teams are still limited to 13 scholarship players, but less slots will be open to freshman and JUCO transfers with players sticking around for another year. As of now the Colonials have seven players on the roster that could return, not counting the possibility that Jon Williams and Charles Bain could also return. With the two transfers, Winston and Stone in place, plus an early signee, Jeffries, the Colonials would appear to have three scholarships available. Considering that players from all level of programs are announcing daily they are entering the transfer portal, I will not be surprised if RMU loses another player or two, maybe three. With Winston, Stone and Jeffries it appears Coach Toole is bringing in high quality basketball players. This is a year for all programs, especially low and mid majors, to recruit better talent than is typical in most years due to the same number of scholarships yet not all seniors are moving on. I can see the possibility of RMU grabbing a grad transfer that can make a difference next season, but I would not want more than one player that will be a definite one and done. I really want to see a couple of high quality shooters make their way to Moon Township. It appears free agency is going to be a way of life in college basketball. RMU and the Northeast Conference teams were ahead of the curve in that regard. Go Colonials!

PG - Dante Treacy (sr.), Trayden Williams (so.)
SG - Kam Farris (so.), Enoch Cheeks (so.)
SF/3G - Tristan Jeffries (fr.)
PF - Khaliel Spear (sr.), Justin Winston (so.)
C - Brandon Stone (so.), Pat Suemnick (so.), Olisa Ngonadi (jr.)

Reactions: ColonialCrazy
I could be wrong, but i don't believe any returning seniors (ie Jon Williams or Charles Bain) count towards the 13 scholarship players, RMU just has to fund them. That is the schools decision.

"The proposed temporary solution is not counting sixth-year seniors against the scholarship quota. This preserves short-term recruiting efforts while allowing sixth-year seniors to participate."

I could be wrong, but i don't believe any returning seniors (ie Jon Williams or Charles Bain) count towards the 13 scholarship players, RMU just has to fund them. That is the schools decision.

"The proposed temporary solution is not counting sixth-year seniors against the scholarship quota. This preserves short-term recruiting efforts while allowing sixth-year seniors to participate."

I too read it as returning seniors would not count against the scholarship limit. Of course the school has to be fully funded and able to pay the additional expenses. It also says that all players, even freshmen, will get an extra year as 2020-21 does not count against their 4 years of eligibility.

ColonialCrazy and RMU_Fan, thanks for pointing that out. That makes sense. So, each school has to decide if it wants to fund the additional scholarships. I suppose that gives an advantage to the high profile programs that have lots of TV revenue. If I recall correctly, Bernard Clark stated in an interview that RMU has decided not to bring back the seniors for an extra year next year. I don't know if that is only in regard to football or if that is the approach across all RMU sports. In regard to basketball, I think having more than 13 scholarship players on his roster would probably drive Coach Toole crazy. Listening to him being interviewed many time throughout the years, one of his biggest frustrations as a coach seems to be constantly dealing with players who think they should be starting or at least getting more playing time. College coaches today must look back at coaches of 20 or more years ago and think how much easier it was back then. Go Colonials!

I was just remembering when Danny Nee became the coach at RMU, he talked about becoming the next Gonzaga, after one disastrous season, Duquesne did us a favor and hired him. He immediately talked about Duquesne becoming the next Gonzaga. Now, every school in the Country wants to be Gonzaga.

The open free agency in college basketball this year is outrageous. Everyday a large number of players announce they are entering the transfer portal. In the past, the kids transferring out of RMU were either looking to move up to play on a bigger stage, or move down to get more playing time. Now, kids all over the Country are transferring for no good reason, just because they can. I guess it's the old "the grass is always greener" thing.

The biggest thing I remember about Danny Nee's single disastrous season is him saying in a mid-season interview 'I just wish this season was over'. How hard do you think your team will play after you say that out loud.

Mike Iuzzolino is getting additional recruiting attention. What a natural scorer and long range bomber. One of his shots from the attached video was launched from midway between the center court and free throw circles. https://t.co/CzeLe1RN6u

Last edited:
I would love to seen Mike Iuzzolino play for the Colonials. I suspect Toole is personally recruiting him, and Mike, Sr. is strictly providing guidance as a father letting his son explore and make up his own mind.

So, now it looks like:
PG - Trayden Williams (so.)
PF - Khaliel Spear (sr.), Justin Winston (so.), Mattia Acunzo (so.)

Acunzo and Winston can shoot a bit from the outside. It would seem to suggest RMU is going much bigger next year.

Acunzo averaged 5.9 pts and 3.5 rebs in 15 minutes a game as a freshman. 40% on 3s and 53% overall. RMU will have talent and depth inside in 2021-22.

So, now it looks like:
PG - Trayden Williams (so.)
PF - Khaliel Spear (sr.), Justin Winston (so.), Mattia Acunzo (so.)

Acunzo and Winston can shoot a bit from the outside. It would seem to suggest RMU is going much bigger next year.
The days of three guard lineups may be past with this group of talented bigs.

After years of RMU being on the losing end of transfers, this year looks to be a winner. Considering Coach Iuzzolino is in the Italy Basketball Hall of Fame, I assume he had a role in recruiting Acunzo. Three transfers, with size, who should be able to step right in and contribute right away. Go Colonials!

Could RMU land a local player, Colgate transfer Nelly Cummings?

Reactions: LetsGoRomo2
After watching Jon Williams in the three point contest, I am wondering about his status or plans. Is there any likelihood that he will play for RMU next season? I have not noticed his name in the transfer portal. Does he plan to pursue a pro career or something other than continuing to play basketball? I might be wrong, but I believe typically the contestants in the three point contest are seniors without eligibility remaining. Of course, everything is different this year. Since Jon participated, does that indicate that he will not be playing college basketball anymore? I would love to see him playing for RMU next season, but whatever his plans, I wish him the best. How fortunate we have been to have had Jon, and his brother Josh, represent RMU on and off the court.

I guess this one is not all that surprising with the three transfers plus Spear, I suppose Suemnick could see that it would be hard for him to get much playing time next season. I'm sure this pandemic year has added to the number of players transferring. Especially a player, or any student, that is a long way from home, it just has not been the usual college experience. I liked what I saw of Suemnick whenever he got on the court. In years gone by a player like him would have been content to get any playing time as a freshman and sophomore and then be ready for a starting role as a junior and senior. But, today, if a player is not starting right away he's looking to transfer.
I wish all the best to Pat, possibly if this had been a more normal year he would be more interested in staying.

Last edited:
This comment is not directed at any of the players mentioned above, it is just a general comment regarding college football and basketball players. So often when players announce their "commitment" to a school to continue their athletic and academic careers for the next four years, they will include "100% committed." I say this with sarcasm, but I wish they would be more honest and state, I am 100% committed, until I am not.

Suemnick might not have come to RMU if not for the move to the Horizon, however I think he would be an excellent NEC big man. He came with bulk that historically our bigs didn't have when they stepped on campus. I was hoping he would stay but I can understand his desire for more playing time.

There are a lot of interesting candidates that Coach Toole can pursue on the transfer portal. Here's two that I noticed. I have no idea if RMU is interested in them , but they would seem to be possibilities:

Dalton Bolon, a 6'4" D-2 All American, grad transfer from nearby West Liberty. He shot 45% of his 3s, and 90% of his FT. He is is from eastern Ohio, so the location of RMU and playing in the Horizon League would seem to be favorable.

Myles Baker, a 6'2" guard transferring from Central Connecticut. He was on the NEC 2019/2020 All Rookie team.
He is from Chicago, so a Horizon League team my be attractive to him.

Last edited:
According to a reliable source, Twitter, LOL. Kalil Camara a 6'7" JUCO combo guard has been offered by RMU, Cleveland State, Bryant and Stony Brook He "will commit April 24th" Considering, Brandon Stone is 6'11", Justin Winston and Mattia Acunzo are both 6'8" and I believe can play either PF or SF, if we get a 6"7" guard, the Colonials could have a starting lineup with impressive size. Go Colonials!

Toole will get it straightened out. Next year will be very important for recruiting etc. I think a top half horizon finish is what we should expect.

Mike Iuzzolino Jr to Bryant. Curious as to whether RMU was really an option. Plus, not all sons want to play for their fathers.

Congratulations to young Mike. Glad he had options. No doubt he will be successful in whatever he does.

The Colonials now have to be considered serious contenders for winning the Horizon League in 2021/2022.

“I chose RMU because my familiarity with Coach [Andrew] Toole, who I competed against in my early years of college ball. I was always impressed with his passionate and competitive spirit. Also, RMU offers the Masters Degree I am looking for.”

“The ultimate goal is to go Pro, but where I’m from & where I grew up I figure all that can wait. You can always go Pro, but can’t go back to school and get a MASTERS for FREE.”

Rasheem Dunn wants to continue to be a role model for those in his community as he continues his basketball journey, “I want to be the testimony of my environment, showing others no matter where you come from, how you grew up, there’s no limitations to where you can go in life.”

Good to see RMU getting multiple impact transfers in. Other than Brahma, I think this round of transferring has been a net positive. Recruiting had changed a lot, this covid year in particular, but Toole and company will adapt.

I think biggest need is one more guard? Not sure how many spots available now.

I believe there are still three scholarships available, of course that could change. Currently, five returning players, four transfers and one incoming freshmen. Dunn appears to be a high level player except for outside shooting.
Hopefully, we can get a high percentage three point shooter.

An experienced point guard would completely transform the team and still leave lots of playing time for this year's three freshmen guards.

Interesting timing. Trayden likely saw himself as the starting PG next season until Dunn announced that he was coming. Down to four possible returning players, before this is over, we could have an entirely new team.

Should the NCAA permanently change the rules so that players do not have to sit out a year, RMU's best strategy in the future is just to recruit transfers. Why recruit freshmen and coach them for a year just to see them transfer out. Of course, if every program takes that approach there will be an abundance of good high school players looking to be recruited. Who knows???

Last edited:
I think RMU should really focus on transfers and JUCO. Maybe go after some high end freshmen, but really, at this point, what's the point. If Toole has 4 scholarships available, I am confident in him getting a couple true shooters.

Also, I think getting the St John's transfer will help in recruiting other transfers. A big east player that actually played minutes and put up numbers is huge.

We really need a PG, or two. Trayden would have played a ton, whether he started or not. Dunn is listed as a SG. Even if he can run point we need another who is ready to play.

Oklahoma State grad transfer Ferron Flavors is going to play a year at RMU. Flavors averaged double figures earlier in his career at Cal Baptist in the WAC.

We really need a PG, or two. Trayden would have played a ton, whether he started or not. Dunn is listed as a SG. Even if he can run point we need another who is ready to play.
Dunn can absolutely play the point, but you're right. A little thin with ballhandlers and playmakers.

I wouldn't be surprised to see another PG transfer - this one younger, not a grad transfer - and a JuCo shooting guard. Then fill out the class with a couple of freshmen.

While I must admit that by the end of this past basketball season I was seriously considering submitting my name to the college basketball fans' transfer portal, after much consideration, meditation and discussions with my family, Priest, Rabbi and Imam and now knowing of the high level of players that are transferring to RMU, I am 100% recommitting my fandom to the Colonials. 100% Committed. Go Colonials!

According to mycentraljersey.com Tristian Jeffries signed his letter intent with Robert Morris yesterday, August 14th. Tristian verbally committed last August, and now has made it official.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT