ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Russell transferring

ColonialInsider

Aug 26, 2017
This feels like a situation where Russell thought he was going to be a go-to guy the moment he arrived on campus but Toole wanted him to round out his game. So he's decided to leave.

This feels like a situation where Russell thought he was going to be a go-to guy the moment he arrived on campus but Toole wanted him to round out his game. So he's decided to leave.

Russell has looked good but he’s going up against Mendy who has taken a nice step up this year & is contributing well both offensively & defensively.

It’s a real shame with players these days & giving up so soon. Russell could’ve easily been the starter next year if he put in the work. Not good he just decided to call it quits.

Ugh.

In an interview after he committed to RMU DJ stated, referring to Toole, “he is expecting me to get a double-double every night and if I don’t something is wrong.”

Maybe the expectations were a bit unrealistic on both sides. ‍♂️

Any idea what's up with Brahma? He had a Twitter post saying "I'm done" a few days ago. No context, just that.

No idea. Also wondering about Washington.

My thoughts: toole plays defense bball first, and half court O. Most kids want to run and gun, but if they win playing another way they can be happy. When you play slow/ solid d approach but it's not working, you are going to loose a lot of kids.

I'd start Hawkins, bramah (if option) Mendy, McEwen or Tracey, and Josh W. First guard sub would be which either of McEwen or Tracey didn't start. Bain for the bigs.

From the time he committed I thought Russell would be a starter. Maybe he did too and didn't do what it takes. I'd like to see them recruit more leadership and toughness even if that means getting a little less raw talent.

Washington and Russell are no longer listed on the roster.

It is only the first week of December and the Colonials are to down to nine healthy scholarship players. That includes Olisa who will likely be needed, so forget about him getting better prepared for the future by redshirting this year. He does have size and talent, so hopefully, he will blossom quickly. That also includes Bramah who did not play in the last game and considering his recent tweets seems to be doing some self-reflection, so who knows about his future status. I sure hope he is doing okay and stays with the team. There is walk-on Terrell Brown who has seen a few minutes of playing time in three games so far, which is more than typically expected from a freshman walk-on. Coach Toole seems to do his best coaching when he has a limited roster and does not have to deal with players demanding more playing time. However, it's still early in the season, he cannot afford to lose any more players.

Last edited:
Sometimes I wonder how some of these guys are going to handle being in the real world.

I'll never get on someone for deciding that a place isn't what they hoped it would be or someone who needs a change. But why not wait until the end of the season? Why not work to try and see if something changes?

Like Russell - you're 10 games into the season. The team is struggling. Why not work hard in practice, do what the coaches suggest even if it's not your ideal thing, and see if your minutes go up?

Washington's a freshman. Ten games into the season - not even that, because I don't think he's been around the past 3-4 games - and you bail?

I know Toole is a demanding coach, but all accounts are that he's not demeaning or doing anything different than hundreds of other coaches at all levels of basketball. Just seems counterproductive to leave midseason.

Reactions: M4Fam
Sometimes I wonder how some of these guys are going to handle being in the real world
I agree. Maybe if someone like Washington leaves during the first semester they can save a year, for example play one year JC then transfer to another 4 year school with sophomore eligibility?

By the way, one reason to keep an open scholarship is to be able to take a transfer. Back in the Jarrett Durham coaching days almost all of our star players were local guys who went away then transferred back closer to home.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT