ADVERTISEMENT

Desjuan Newton Update

Andrew_Chiappazzi

May 7, 2008
Just a quick update on Desjuan Newton, who stepped away from the basketball team in January.

Not that it should come as any surprise, but Newton received his release from the program and is now free to transfer for his final year of college basketball. Newton has a couple of options. He has played three seasons, including two years at junior college. He has two more years to play one more season.

Newton can decide to transfer to a Division I school and sit out this season to play his final year in 2015-16, or he can transfer to a Division II school and play immediately.

It'll be interesting to see where he lands. He started off as a key member of the rotation before seeing his playing time diminish. His last appearance with Robert Morris was December 22 against Oakland.

All the best to Juanie. I don't know the issues involved as to why he left the team in mid season, but sometimes a player and a team and/or coach just are not the right fit. Juanie certainly is a talented basketball player and seems to be a likable guy, but apparently he just was not the right fit for this team. I hope he lands somewhere that will work out much better for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT