ADVERTISEMENT

@ Bryant 9/22 1:00pm

LetsGoRomo2

Aug 10, 2018
Wondering what the thoughts are heading into this game. Bryant's coach is entering his second season and they are scoring a lot of points.

On a positive note, they have been giving up a lot of points as well.

They are 2-1:
9/1 New Haven (D2) W 41-31
9/8 @ Stony Brook L 21-50
9/15 Marist W 37-27

I did the Massey rankings and predictions for BBall, so figured I would toss it in for this game at least just for fun.

Massey rankings (123 total)
Robert Morrihance
Score: 38-24

We think it will be VERY interesting to see the D depth chart, if it is correct, and how many freshman and young guys get lots of reps. Also, the QB depth chart could be interesting.

My thoughts on score, tough to say. 4th game so hopefully some kinks have been worked out on D. Really need to try to limit big plays, get turnovers, and some pressure (just like every game). On O, hopefully a run game can be developed and it has fun to see Gonzo and TEs mixed in and some well designed plays for them.

I think (hope)colonials can keep it close keep developing. My stab in dark, 30 -27 colonials.

Some off the wall stat predections:
-Alijah Jackson gets 100 total yards.
- Thomas Neal gets a pick
- Steve Perrick gets 60+ yards receiving

Go Bobby Mo

RMU is 2-8 all-time vs. Bryant
0-5 @ Bryant

I don't think we will see many new names on the actual released depth chart. I think the changes will be noticed on the field when RMU’s defense takes the field.

I think depth for their 1st NEC road game will catch up to the Colonials come the 4th quarter. I think it could be a close game for 3 quarters but there will be some consistency breakdowns that will hurt the Colonials.
They are close but just missing something defensively, not quite sure what it is?

Especially a running game will be key to give that defense a break and the offense is going to have to score 1st and often.

But if the 2010 championship can't win at Bryant, I'm not sure this 2018 team can either. That long road trip can expose a young team mental weakness. Was always taught, road games are a business trip. You travel, prep, rest, and do your business on the field then come home.

The talent is there. I think we all see it as does the staff. There will be a NEC game this year where we either say “where has that been all season” or “finally, now they are playing to their potential”. But not sure by the end of this game we will be there yet. Like I said, close game until late 4th quarter.

Last edited:
Reactions: LetsGoRomo2
Ormc,
Think you are right about that things will click, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Do see a lot talent, and you and some others would be better gauges of the ins and outs of the Oline play, but seems to have improved greatly over last year

Didn't notice any notable changes, if any at all, on the depth chart in the game notes. We'll see what actually happens on the field.

Definitely a tough road trip ahead, but I think Bryant has been relatively untested. Marist isn't as good as Dayton and Bryant's also played a D2. May be more even than we think.

CI,
Was thinking same regarding the depth chart. One interesting note, is that under QB it has....
Jimmy
George
-or- Caleb.

On a different note, I am surprised Warren Robinson hasn't been really involved much yet. Be nice to see his speed feet to the edge. If any of you watched the BYU Wisconsin game, BYU did a bit of a jet sweep and used that motion to build on a lot of other plays, traps, underneath and middledepth passes. When I was watching just thought Robinson would be great in thar roll.

Either way, I think the O has been interesting to watch this year and has shown some real dynamic play calling. If the D can just settle Ina little I think .500 in conference is doable. With improvement coming every week.

And to continue my rambling, someone last week mentioned the entirlennew D scheme, and to paraphrase, putting round pegs in square holes. While I understand that takes time, what should not take time is heart and flying to football. Their seemed be a little bit of a lack of that among a few of the players againt JMU. I think the D will be best suited to play young guys if things are close talent and knowledge wise and speed their development. Will be interesting see how the staff uses the new redshirt rules this year, though that could be a entire different post.

CI,
Was thinking same regarding the depth chart. One interesting note, is that under QB it has....
Jimmy
George
-or- Caleb.

On a different note, I am surprised Warren Robinson hasn't been really involved much yet. Be nice to see his speed feet to the edge. If any of you watched the BYU Wisconsin game, BYU did a bit of a jet sweep and used that motion to build on a lot of other plays, traps, underneath and middledepth passes. When I was watching just thought Robinson would be great in thar roll.

Either way, I think the O has been interesting to watch this year and has shown some real dynamic play calling. If the D can just settle Ina little I think .500 in conference is doable. With improvement coming every week.

And to continue my rambling, someone last week mentioned the entirlennew D scheme, and to paraphrase, putting round pegs in square holes. While I understand that takes time, what should not take time is heart and flying to football. Their seemed be a little bit of a lack of that among a few of the players againt JMU. I think the D will be best suited to play young guys if things are close talent and knowledge wise and speed their development. Will be interesting see how the staff uses the new redshirt rules this year, though that could be a entire different post.
I believe I heard somewhere that Robinson was banged up to start the season and may not have been 100% even when he came back for Virginia State. I could be wrong. But he didn't play the first game and he hasn't been back kick returns despite being a dynamic returner.

I think the coaching staff has been hesitant to put too much on players to start off. It's a young team with a completely new scheme on both sides of the ball. I can't blame the staff if they want to see some formations or play calls work consistently before introducing a new package or two.

That's why I think the upcoming bye week could be a bit of a reset point. The staff can digest what's working and what's not, assess who is in over their head or simply isn't playing the way they should, and make any adjustments for the rest of the season.

Two early turnovers really put the defense behind the 8-ball against a really tough offense.

Second half is crucial to the tone of the rest of the season, I think. Defense was out of sorts on final Bryant drive of the first half, couple guys were hanging heads. Can't have that after offense had just scored to cut the deficit to 11.

Who is gonna step up and see if RMU can make this a game?

Cut it to 11 again, and again Bryant does whatever they want on O.

Hopefully O can keep improving and D or special teams can get a turnover or 2.

Stephens with a long kickoff return, RMU gets a touchdown a couple plays later, and then the defense gives up a touchdown in two plays.

Sorry, that's all about pride. Doesn't matter what the scheme is. Defense needs to improve the effort.

Currently 31-42, O keeps coming back. D HAS TO step up! Figure it out, somehow and get some stops!

All time RMU is 26-0 when scoring 40-49pts
It’s been a hell of a game. Many young players out there showing their potential as is this offense

I have to imagine the youth in the secondary is creating these communication and containment issues. Underwhelmed with every linebacker not named Wollett, too. Growing pains, I guess.

Time for Jimmy Walker to show us what he's made of.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT