ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball signings

GoRMU

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Did Andre Frederick sign during the fall period, or is he still just a verbal? This team needs to add some tall guys.

He signed. I literally just caught up with Andrew Toole a few minutes ago at practice, and we finally had a moment to talk about Frederick and Kinsey.

I'll post his comments in a little bit.

Question: Did Coron Williams transfer and Elijah Thompson leaving come after our incoming commits had signed? In other words, could Coach Toole had done anything differently if these (2) players departures occured before the signings?

We can't cry in our beer too long regarding Velton and Russell graduating, but losing these 2 quality players, especially if their departures came after our signings may partially explain getting out-rebounded and torched on a daily basis.

In other news, what's up at FDU? Beating Rutgers and Seton Hall back-to-back. Additionally, St. Francis-Brooklyn and Bryant are off to good starts while LIU and Wagner have struggled like us. And the Mount beat Bucknell and lost to Md-Eastern Shore. It looks like they play well at home (2-0) and lousy on the road (0-6).

Time to shore up that D Colonials!

Lijah Thompson left in August, so there was little that could be done. He went through Robert Morris' entire summer program, played the summer league at Greentree, and then decided to leave a couple weeks before classes started. Not much you can do that point.

Coron Williams left in time for Robert Morris to replace him, and they did with Charles Oliver.

If you want a direct correlation to the replacements, here you go:
Jervon Pressley (never suited up for RMU) - Britton Lee
Russell Johnson - Jeremiah Worthem
Velton Jones - Kavon Stewart
Vaughn Morgan (transfer) - Aaron Tate
Keith Armstrong (transfer) - Desjuan Newton
Coron Williams - Charles Oliver

The newcomers:

Worthem is playing great for a true freshman. He is a multi-talented player similar to Russell, but with a bigger body. He is not as good now as Russ was as a senior, but he may be just as good or better than Russ was prior to his senior year, and keep in mind, Russ was a fifth year senior, but in his prior years he was just very inconsistent. Without a doubt Worthem will be one of the best freshman in the NEC this year.

Stewart has so much speed and quickness and plays with such aggressiveness that things are going to happen when he is on the floor - good or bad, but things are going to happen. As he gets a bit more experience he is going to be a great point guard for the Colonials and a player the fans will love to watch.

Tate seems to be a talented player, who is working hard, but I am not convinced yet that he is talented enough to overcome his lack of height to be a true D-1 PF. He's a true sophomore, having played only one year of JUCO, so we shall see how he develops. I hope he proves me wrong.

Oliver may be one of the guys that still needs to learn the defense better, but he's a very talented player with good size for a shooting guard. His biggest challenge this season is that he plays the same position as Karvel, obviously we want Karvel to be on the floor as much as possible. He should be an excellent player coming off the bench this season, and be a solid starter next year. He just needs to gain the confidence of the coaches when playing defense.

Newton is soooo talented and full of energy, it's just a matter of time until he becomes a bigger contributor. Generally with JUCO transfers you see big improvement after the first semester. As he gets more acquainted with the system both on offense and defense, he will be that energy guy coming into a game that the coaches were counting on when they recruited him.

Lee seems to be the one scholarship player not getting any playing time, but I expect that he has a bright future with the Colonials, not quite as tall as usually desired to play D-1 guard, but he's talented and has excellent skills, he will be a big contributor next year, and if we lose a guard this season to injury, he will be very capable to fill in.

I am very excited about Andre Frederick signing. From what I know of him - he could play for RMU right now! He's somewhat similar to Lijah, but slightly taller and more aggressive. Definitely athletic. Add an inch or two onto Lijah, make him more aggressive, and you have got a quality D-I post player.

Unfortunately, we're just not very good at this point. I haven't seen our guys just stand on defense since the Schmidt years. A shot goes up and it's like our feet are nailed to the floor. You can see Andy's frustration increase almost possession by possession. I think the play last night that sums up the season so far was late in the game when we'd made a run via our press, they missed a foul shot and none of our guys boxed out the shooter and he got the rebound. Effort has always been our biggest strength and it's not there now. Very disappointing across the board.

Another issue is that we are losing to some very good basketball teams. Our team beat the three teams it should have beaten. Buffalo is the only loss to a team that is not having a good season, but does have a good big man and it was a road game. Youngstown has its best team in many years. They have some extremely talented players, and some players with size. We also have played 7 out of our 9 games on the road. We are definitely lacking in size, but that is always true with the Colonials. McFadden is our starting center, yet he is giving up about 3 inches compared to the players he has been going up against. I was expecting more out of Hawkins this year and I am still expecting him to have a breakout game, but he still looks skinny out there compared to his opponents, and he seems to usually get into foul trouble. Worthem has been competing against players a couple of inches taller than he is, but he does have bulk, and is going to be a force. Tate is very generously listed at 6'5". At least one of our four "big" guys usually winds up in foul trouble each game. We just have a very small team for D-1, although that is usually the case with the Colonials.

We do have players with the talent to play good defense, and Andy is a talented coach, so I am confident the defense issues will get worked out in time for conference play. The NEC could be a very challenging conference this year, some of the teams are playing extremely well.

I am more disappointed in the lack of fan interest than with the team. There seems to be no carry over from the big Kentucky game. The two home games have had disappointing crowds. Youngstown is only a hour away from RMU, yet there were less than 10 RMU fans at the game! Less than 10, are you kidding me! If so few people are interested, maybe the next move the administration should make is to drop to D-3.

Robert Morris has the 71st toughest schedule in the country right now according to KenPom

The schedule is doing Robert Morris absolutely no favors, but it's the way RMU is losing that bothers Toole more. It's the mentality that bothers him.

If Kendrick Perry beats one of Toole's guys off the dribble with help from an excellent screen, that's fine. It's not ideal, but Perry's exceptional. But when Perry drives and can kick out to a completely wide open teammate for an easy look at a 3-pointer on multiple occasions, or when Perry himself is left wide open, that's what infuriates Toole.

When Perry misses a free throw and there's nothing but four blue shirts (all starters) around him, and they all react late enough so that he gets his own rebound and dribbles precious seconds off the clock, that infuriates Toole.

So yes, the schedule's tough and some of the guys are physically out-matched. That's not ideal, but Toole can live with that in the long run. He can't - and won't - accept guys not mentally being involved.

I wouldn't be surprised for the day-to-day contracts (guys don't practice if they're not all-in the day before, don't play if they're not all-in during practice) that he used at one point last year to get his guys to buy in come back. Toole's tried to be even more of a teacher this year, because he knew there'd be hiccups with so many new guys. But he may need to be more of a rear-end kicker like he has with a few other teams.

Maybe he needs to kick them out of the locker room like he did in his first year. They ended up eating in the laundry room, dressing in the bathroom, and had to deal with a generally acerbic Toole for about a week. Then won 7-of-8, got 3rd in the NEC and nearly won the title.

This post was edited on 12/5 4:46 PM by Andrew_Chiappazzi

No question that we've had a tough schedule. Honestly, I was hoping that we'd be 4-5 at this point but I certainly thought we'd be more competitive in our losses. We've always been smaller than our competition but we always had more heart. Being scrappy, tough and getting the bulk of the 50/50 balls has been the reason we've been so successful the past several years. So far, we're misfiring on all of those which is concerning. I'm more than confident Andy will get them going though. As to the crowds, while I would love 3,000 folks at every game, the reality is that not long ago we had less than 500 people see us beat Bowling Green and Cleveland State at the Chuck so we're making progress. Does anyone know why we moved the Saturday games to 4pm. I'm not sure that will help our attendance.

I thought RMU would 5-4 at this point. I thought they'd beat Cleveland State and Youngstown State, two teams they were familiar with. I knew Delaware would pose major issues, and Buffalo is supposed to be pretty good this year in the MAC. Plus, I figured Eastern Michigan would pose problems with their length.

I had RMU 8-7, give or take, in the non-conference schedule, with upcoming wins against Duquesne, Campbell and Oakland.

Now? I think if they can get to 6-9, they're in pretty good shape headed into the NEC slate.. But that's going to be tough if they don't pull off what would be considered an upset on Saturday against Toledo. Trying to end what would be a 5-game losing streak on the road at Duquesne against an aggressive team would be very, very difficult. We'll see.

The NEC went to Saturday afternoon games across the board, with a few exceptions. I believe the concern is travel. From a quick perusal of the league schedule, there are just a few 5 p.m. Saturday games, one 6 p.m. and one 7 p.m. The rest are all early to mid-afternoon all over the league.

Although some of Andy's challenges and frustrations may be similar to the early parts of past seasons, this one presents a new obstacle- No Velton Jones! Andy, the Colonials and the fans benefitted from the team having such a strong leader who totally bought into the system and understood what it takes to win at the D-1 level. I am sure that Andy and the team will work through this, but the loss of Velton, as we all know, is much bigger than just the loss of his physical ability. As far as I know, Velton is not playing on any pro team. I am sure it's difficult for pro teams in Europe and elsewhere to properly scout a player to the point of knowing the intangibles he brings to a team. There all a lot of pro teams in this world that could benefit greatly by having Velton on their team. Go Colonials!

I gotta be honest, I think this team will be fine. Is it upsetting they have lost four in a row? Yes, especially given the way it's happened. With that said, the challenging road games for a team breaking in 5 new guys, new starters, etc is a major challenge, but will prepare them for NEC play.

I look at it this way...every road game the team has played will be a harder challenge then NEC road game IMO. UK (obviously), Cleveland State, YSU (who btw is top 25 in the mid major poll), EMU, Buffalo, and Delaware all win at least 12 games in the NEC. Those games will be more difficult than any NEC road game outside of maybe Wagner.

They havent lost at home (though Toledo will provide a huge challenge) and until they do, I really wont worry. If there is one thing I think Toole can fix by NEC play, it's the defense.

I wrote this piece on my blog describing why I think RMU shouldn't panic yet.

http://chroniclingthecolonials-rmu.blogspot.com/2013/12/time-to-panic-not-quite-yet.html

Give Toole time, he will have this group ready to go by NEC play.

And in terms of fan support, lets see how the turnout is against 9-0 Toledo.

We played well at times in the loss to Toledo but still came up a little short. What's up with the attendance of 800? Alot of fair-weather fans or what?
I'm with Lee. No one besides Bryant and those Terriers of St. Francis are showing a pulse in the NEC so we have plenty of time to "get it together". With so many new faces our team is trying to find itself. No better time than against a cross-town rival. Go get 'em Colonials!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT