C - Nick Faraci
RG - Josh Thiel
RT - Mike Lamb

TE/Hybrid – Craig Thompson
WRs - Jamison Williams, Luke Centofanti and Warren Robinson
RB – Rameses Owens
QB – Matthew Barr
Buss and Lamica did not dress today.

RMU only had two full healthy OLs for today. More players slated to come back on Monday
Derik Abbott has been moved to WR. I’ll note his progress at his new position later.

Starting Defense:
DEs - Ryan Lewis & Forrest Mason
DT - Zack Zamiska

OLBs – Kimani Smith & Gerald Ferguson
MLBs - Mike Stojkovic & Jake Tkach

CBs - Cameron Sutherland & Drew Allen.
S – Ryan Richards Jr & Andy Smigiera

Special Teams:
Staff started with live special teams. 1st up Punt.
Fr. Adam Check is getting the first crack at Punter with Connor Shennan as well.
Both punters struggled at first. Session ended with Check nailing his best punt of the day (47yds)
There wasn’t much more news except for the returning game.

Punt Returners: Warren Robinson, backing him up is Andy Smigiera
Kick Returners: Dante Satcher & Warren Robinson

Scrimmage Notes:
1st series with 1st O vs. 1st D
3 straight running plays to Owens resulted in a 1st down. Those were very rare last season.
Next play is a play I hope that Hicks calls a lot with Barr. Option Read, Barr keeps the ball. Barr attacks edge of defense with a run or pass option. Barr lets the pass go, Logan Moroney pulls in a tough sideline catch and races into the end zone.

Scoring Summary:
4 plays; 65 yards
Barr to Moroney for a 55 yd TD pass.

2nd series had 2nd O vs. 2nd D
Luke Brumbaugh came out at QB, threw a pick six. Great INT by Roger Richards IV. Bad decision by Luke which resulted in Tyler Brown getting more reps with the 2nd team.

Red Zone Scrimmage:
Ball placed at the 20.
1st O vs. 1st D
3rd day play had Owens coming out of the backfield, Barr hits him for a 1st down.
Offense stalls as the OL struggle to hold their blocks.
28yd FG attempt by Connor Shennen
Snap is dribbled back; holder does a great job getting the ball down but Shennen pulls the ball to the left….no good.

2nd O vs. 2nd D
3rd and 9 play, Tyler Brown rolls left. No one is open and he takes off. He makes a LB miss then cuts back across the field for the score.

3rd Down and Distance Scenarios:
1st O vs. 1st D
3rd & 3
Owens gets the ball, 1st down but the OL is starting to get knocked back.
1st down

3rd & 6
Dante Satcher in at RB. RB draw, offense loses 3 yds
4th down

3rd & 9
Offense would have had a delay of game penalty (because a theme from here on out)
Barr overthrows his WR
4th down

3rd & 12
[Delay of Game]
Barr is sacked
4th down

2nd O vs. 2nd D
3rd & 3
Cole Blake gets the ball.
1st down

3rd & 6
[Delay of Game]
Coverage Sack
4th down

3rd & 9
Incomplete Pass
4th down

3rd & 12
[Delay of Game]
Sack
4th down

Some additional notes from the day:
- Derik Abbott showed good hands catching some balls. He did get his bell rung by Marcelis Branch. Abbott ran with the 2nd team but who knows what the final depth chart will be. I’m sure the staff wanted him out there to see what he can do for the team at this new position.

- I tried my best to take notes while watching but our home blue jerseys make it very tough to read the numbers.

- Very little excitement by the team again this week during the scrimmage. I saw too many players taking a knee and talking instead of cheering on those still on the field.

- Focus now turns to Dayton
You can see some highlights from Dayton’s scrimmage here:

That offense today looked better than it ever has since banaszak took over last season

In both of your scrimmage recaps you have expressed concern about a "lack of energy and excitement." What's up with that? This team seems to have sufficient talent, but does it have the drive and desire as a team to win?

It is something I noticed both times. I know its camp but I heard about the new NCAA rules they have in place so the players are very limited to the number of practices in full gear. So perhaps the players are well rested.
And I know we are talking about scrimmages...haha.
But I saw Branch smack Abbott and that is a play where the entire defense and the sideline should be pumped up for. It's like the team was just going through the motions. Again...we are just talking about a scrimmage after a long camp.
It is a concern for me because you can't just wake up on a Saturday and say "I'm ready to play." That excitement, energy starts in camp and builds. This week, game week should be a team flying around the field. Showing their excitement to hit another team.

You don't have to jump up and down and go crazy to play with excitement and intensity. One thing I do know forsure is last seasons team had cliques and differences. This years team is an entire brotherhood. Every single one of these guys are in it together

I understand that you don't need to be a cheerleader out on the field to showcase that you are ready to play. I do see that the 2015 is closer than 2014 but I can't help to notice the little things I have seen. Its a minor thing in the gran scheme of playing football but as a player, you are allowed to be a fan as well. There is nothing that should prevent a defensive player from standing on the bench or on the sideline yelling for the offense.

Among the many problems last year were too many injuries. Any serious health issues going into this first game?

GoRMU, I only know of the players the staff held out of the scrimmage. They will be getting some OL back starting today and Buss & Lamica should be ready for this week.
But we will know more as the week progresses.

tyblake2 - let's be careful with posting potential internal only information on players status especially around those being suspend. We can keep that information vanilla when posting and allow the athletic department and/or football staff release that information publicly.

Sallycham - thank you for posting and hopefully you (with others) help keep this site alive during the 2015 season. I recall how those long camps can drain a player especially during the scrimmage. Whether what I see from my preservative is neither right or wrong, I'm just noting things I expect to see from any Robert Morris team.

Sorry for that, I'll keep that stuff private. More importantly, I agree that these boys are ready for dayton! It's a new season and they are out to make people forget about last season. I'm excited!

Or at least post that information in
The Powder Keg
I'm excited as well. There are new faces and a chance for this team to build a new foundation for RMU football. Saturday will not be easy.
Dayton has won 12 straight against RMU.

Practice this week will tell ya if RMU is ready. If they have great practices then the team and staff is ready. If there are mental mistakes and practices are not crisp, then Dayton might make it 13 in a row.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT