ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops Recruiting: RMU offers former Kent State guard

Andrew_Chiappazzi

May 7, 2008
Andy Toole is still looking for two more pieces to fit into the Class of 2014 after signing point guard Jafar Kinsey and center Andre Frederick, and the latest offer went to a former Kent State guard.

Earvin Morris, a 6-foot-4, 185-pound wing originally from Memphis, Tennessee, picked up an offer from RMU on Sunday. Morris was a former 3-star prospect back in 2012 out of Memphis East High School. He was originally projected to go to prep school, but Kent State snagged him at the last minute. Golden Flashes head coach Rob Senderoff was pretty excited for Morris to join the school, telling the official site prior to last season: "He is a better shooter than I expected him to be and he is a better ball-handler than I expected him to be. At his high school he played like a wing forward. Here, eventually, he will be a combo guard. He'll be able to play the point for us. He'll be able to come off ball screens. He has to get stronger, butI think at some point he will be an all-conference player. I love him. I absolutely love him. I love his energy, his passion, his work ethic. Those are at a high level right now. I know we are only a couple weeks into school, but high level."

Morris ended up playing in 17 games, starting in one of them, but averaging just 5.2 minutes per game. He and Kent State decided to amicably part ways after the season, and he landed at Tallahassee Community College in Florida.

Since then, Morris has worked on being more of a guard and the early results are intriguing. He's averaging 14 points per game and 4.7 rebounds per game through 10 contests. His shooting numbers are the most interesting, though, as he's hit 20-of-35 3-pointers, good for 57.1 percent. He's hit on 57.8 percent of his overall shots and scored in double digits in every single game he's played.

Considering Toole is on the record as saying a scorer will be a target since RMU is losing Karvel Anderson to graduation, we'll keep an eye on Morris throughout the winter and update any news.

This post was edited on 12/16 3:24 AM by Andrew_Chiappazzi

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News