ADVERTISEMENT

Football

ColonialInsider

Aug 26, 2017
16-14 win over Sacred Heart. Pioneers missed a field goal as time expired.

7-5, 6-1 in the NEC. Wasn't pretty a lot of the time, but it was effective. Program took huge leaps forward in Bernard Clark's second season. If he's not Coach of the Year in the NEC, it'd be ridiculous. Mason Gray could be considered a strong candidate for defensive player of the year, too.

There is a lot to like about this team moving forward. George Martin showed flashes, but also should be challenged as the starting QB in the spring and fall. Alijah Jackson looks like a future NEC rushing leader, though I think RMU will always need a strong No. 2 back because of Jackson's durability.

Garrett Houser showed some nice flashes, but there is definitely a need at receiver. Maybe some of the redshirt guys can step up, but I wouldn't mind a high-end JuCo/grad transfer.

Love that RMU could still have six guys up front with starting experience next year, depending on what some guys do with their fifth year. Same with experience on the defensive line, though end looks much thinner than tackle.

Aniello Buzzacco is an all-conference linebacker and still has two years. Garrett Fairman looks like a solid outside pass rusher. And there were young linebackers they brought in last year that could be ready to take a step. Same in the secondary now that Jacob White can be an anchor back there and the young guys who had to play last year got a bit more time to grow up (Dickerson, Dandridge in particular).

Always things to address, but there is a lot of promise on this team. Target a couple areas with JuCos and a grad transfer. Get some good freshmen. And contend for the NEC crown next year.

McAllister and Petrick walked today so they are done. RMU will return good players.
4 starting OL but will need a center. Mundy played Center today.

Martin has had moments but he needs to take big steps to be the QB this teams needs. I won’t be surprise a solid QB is brought in.
You will need depth at RB with Jackson getting banged up a lot.
Houser is a very good WR but he is a game changer like Chambers at SHU?
I expect lots of recruits for the offense.
-Depth for OL
-perhaps another transfer or Juco players for TE and WR.

Defense is lose Gray which will be tough to replace.

I expect a mix of judos, FBS transfers and top level FR coming in. 2-9 -> 7-5 -> time for a NEC title in 2020.
Expectations are very high now.

Congrats to Coach Clark, the staff and the players. The program made a lot of progress this year. The future looks bright.

Reactions: Confusion23
Did renfro play today? I thought if he did not play today they could redshirt him? That could be a big help on Oline.

What great improvement, particularly after a slow start. True it wasn't always pretty but once they got going the W's kept coming. I hope they can keep it rolling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT