ADVERTISEMENT

Tidbits from Coaches Show

ColonialInsider

Aug 26, 2017
The first coaches show of the year was on tonight and I caught most of it. Some things Clark mentioned, mostly in terms of personnel.

- Called DLine play last year unacceptable, especially with sacks. So it was a huge focus in recruiting.
- Seems high on Mason Gray, the grad transfer safety from Albany, and also mentioned Jacob White, who transferred from FIU and can play free safety. They're competing with Myles Canton and Dejuan Dandridge.
- Devyn Charles is emerging as a leader on defense and could be a starter at middle linebacker. He's battling with Jonathan Wanat for the position.
- Supilani Mailei and Izon Pulley are the starters inside on the line right now. Victor Solarin could get some time in there, too.
- Loves the rule that allows teams to play players four games and still give them a redshirt. Specifically mentioned Aaron Green at linebacker as a guy who will definitely play but they'd like to still redshirt.
- Down to Caleb Lewis and George Martin at quarterback. Wasn't ready to name a starter. Freshman Steve DePaul also did well in camp.
- Clark said they redshirted Jerry Hanks last year, but he'll play more. Deonte White, a senior walk-on, should also play. Also mentioned Dorian Bowie and Garrett Houser as guys behind Tim Vecchio and Delano Madison.
- Remember Aidan Howard? Clark brought him up and said he's come a long way at tight end, though he's still working through some things. I'd like to see him play a bit just because of how difficult his college career has been.
- Heavon Price is healthy after missing a lot of last year with an injury but Darrell Mason is still hurt from last year's Duquesne game and may redshirt.

Missed some stuff toward the end, but since we haven't had much in the way of updates, I figured I'd type something up and share.

Reactions: Confusion23
Yeah! Just a little concerned about qb situation! 1 week till tough game and no particular starter named? Starting Middle backer? 2 very important keys to the cog. 2 signal callers. Leaders! Need to figure it out sooner than this to be ready for season! IMO.

Yeah! Just a little concerned about qb situation! 1 week till tough game and no particular starter named? Starting Middle backer? 2 very important keys to the cog. 2 signal callers. Leaders! Need to figure it out sooner than this to be ready for season! IMO.
Not unusual, in my opinion. They were scrimmaging last night, too, so the staff may be meeting one last time to make final decisions on positions. I'm sure there will be a starter before game prep begins.

Reactions: Cwbevins
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT