ADVERTISEMENT

Side note to Belmont game

Andrew_Chiappazzi

May 7, 2008
While much of our recap last night focused on Robert Morris' storybook season ending, including the final game for Karvel Anderson and Anthony Myers-Pate, there were a few other elements of the game that were only mentioned briefly.

That included the Colonials running out of gas and unable to find their legs on offense in the second half. Part of that was sheer exhaustion, thanks to Robert Morris being down to seven guys and Belmont being a very active and intense team to play against.

But part of it also may have been a minor injury to Lucky Jones. Friend of the site Dallas Jackson, who was covering the game for our compatriots at the Beaver County Times, said the play happened right in front of him near the Belmont basket. Jones went up for a block in the first half but ended up smacking his hand off the bottom of the backboard. Jones was wincing and holding his hand after the play, and he ended up just shooting 3-of-13 after that play after starting 3-of-4.

The good news for Robert Morris is the injury doesn't appear to be serious.

"Yeah, when I went up I hit the board and it did something, hurt my hand. I mean I'll be alright but it hurts," Jones told Jackson after the game.

Jones wouldn't allow it to be an excuse for his play or the team's play down the stretch.

"I don't want to make any excuses, my shots just weren't falling. I wasn't taking 'man shots', I was trying to draw the foul and it didn't work. I don't know if it was the hand hurting or what Belmont was doing but you have to give them credit. My shot didn't fall for whatever reason," Jones said. "My hand, my legs were cramping and I told coach to leave me in because we were short and the team needed me. It was fast paced and tough. They are a good mid-major a lot like us that when you aren't at your best they make you pay. I don't want to make excuses for how I played today, the shots just didn't fall."

Jones still provided 15 points and nine rebounds to cap a strong junior season that landed him on the All-NEC second team.

This post was edited on 3/22 12:59 PM by Andrew_Chiappazzi

You need to start making "man topics". This is so weak. Lucky grabs at something every trip down the floor. Cant believe you came out of hiding to post this smh

Pot, meet kettle. I have content up on this site every day, from message board posts to editorial content on the front page.

You have one other post on the message board in the last five months.

Feel free to spark discussion by starting your own threads about RMU basketball, football or hockey. I encourage people to do that. Otherwise, it seems silly to gripe about a small news post.

Hey Andrew don't worry about Victory!!! as he gets this way after (2) beers.

Another point: Probably nothing could be done but isn't it ironic that the team who's roster is whittled down to (7) guys needs to play in New york and three days later play in Nashville in the the earliest 2nd round game in the tournement? Would the result be different if we played on Sat., Sun. or tonight?

Don't know but Belmont played awfully well. And they did beat UNC this season so they're a good team. Ultimately, we simply ran out of gas with no depth. This would've happened to any Division 1 team.

Wildelk2, I think it had more to do with it being a match-up problem. The team missed David Appolon's length, and you could tell their legs were shot. But ultimately Belmont's incredible offensive awareness and ball movement would have been a problem no matter what. Without the ability to go man-to-man, it was going to be a challenge even if everything went right for RMU.

Sometimes it's not what you do, but what the opponent does. Belmont played an outstanding game.

In recent years Belmont has become a very, very good mid-major program. As with most good programs, they almost never lose on their home court. Looking back at the box score, Belmont made 24 of their 25 free throws against RMU. In the final minutes of the game, RMU was still fighting, and still had a fighting chance, but Belmont's perfection from the free throw line ended that chance. Belmont then went on to play a very completive game against a team that had a winning record in the ACC, Clemson, playing on Clemson's home court, and losing by only five. Considering all of the other challenges they faced, the Colonials made a more than a respectable showing against a very good team, on its home court, that made 96% of its 25 free throws.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT