ADVERTISEMENT

RMU Hoops 2019-2020 recruiting Class

I agree he held his own and his offense improved considerably as he gained confidence. All in all a solid season. It does concern me, unless I'm forgetting someone, if one of our PGs goes down we might have a walkon in the rotation.

True our PG’s rn are Jon & Treacy.

The walk-on looks to have some skill tho at least if needed.

Scoring ability reminds me a bit of Karvel Anderson.

2019 juco pg Reme Torbert on his offical visit at Robert Morris! @YolowReme @JucoRecruiting @JUCOadvocate @RMUMBasketball

D6jj6IHW0AEz0E_.jpg

Believe it might be David Cole. Not 100% on that.
That is a logical conclusion. I've been surprised by the lack of speculation since he barely played at all. I haven't looked at the player being recruited but a ball handler and scorer like him is exactly what the team needs.

That is a logical conclusion. I've been surprised by the lack of speculation since he barely played at all. I haven't looked at the player being recruited but a ball handler and scorer like him is exactly what the team needs.

Yep exactly a talented PG that can shoot is welcome any day.

Also makes sense based on who is coming in. Already three bigs in the fold in Bramah, Russell and Olisa to replace Petteway, Thomas and Coalmon. Plus you have a tall guard in Washington and a newly eligible wing in Gebrewhit.

Swapping a big who doesn't play much (Cole) for a guy who can handle and shoot off the bench just makes sense.

Also makes sense based on who is coming in. Already three bigs in the fold in Bramah, Russell and Olisa to replace Petteway, Thomas and Coalmon. Plus you have a tall guard in Washington and a newly eligible wing in Gebrewhit.

Swapping a big who doesn't play much (Cole) for a guy who can handle and shoot off the bench just makes sense.
With Matty and maybe Josh gone, it's hard to say who might start in the guard oriented NEC.

Verbal Commits says RMU offered 6'9 HS freshman Jerome Beya of Congo playing in WV. I don't remember ever offering a sophomore let alone a freshman.

With Matty and maybe Josh gone, it's hard to say who might start in the guard oriented NEC.

Verbal Commits says RMU offered 6'9 HS freshman Jerome Beya of Congo playing in WV. I don't remember ever offering a sophomore let alone a freshman.
I'm operating on the assumption Josh will return. I understand exploring pro options but he stands to make a lot more money after a good senior season.

Apparently he redshirted this year because 2017-18 was his junior year. He averaged 10.4 ppg as a junior.

We have a bunch of people in the 2019-20 junior class already.

Would prefer someone as a freshman or senior but if they’re talented a junior will do.
He would technically be a sophomore since he has three years of eligibility left. It's just Treacy and Wilbon in the sophomore class right now.

He only had a couple starts and averaged around 6.5 ppg. VC says he is a PG so maybe he is more of a distributor. Apparently he was offered by RMU and 8 other D1 schools out of high school.

Last edited:
Jalen appears to have Koby Thomas caliber athletic ability. Odessa has a great JUCO program with a lot of outstanding players. Although he only averaged 6.5 points, he may be a solid D-1 prospect. I like getting a JUCO that has three years available.

It's amazing how so many of the shooting guards and small forwards these days have spectacular leaping and dunking ability. I think a lot of these players would benefit by spending more time working on shooting rather than dunking.

Hawkins has committed.

That should do it, I think.

PG - Jon Williams (Jr.), Dante Treacy (So.)
SG - Josh Williams (RSr.), Sayveon McEwen (Sr.), Jalen Hawkins (So.)
G/F - Cameron Wilbon (So.), Philmon Gebrewhit (RFr.), Deshawndre Washington (Fr)
F - Charles Bain (Jr), AJ Bramah (Jr)
F - Yannis Mendy (Sr.), DJ Russell (Jr), Olisa Ngonadi (Fr.)

Hawkins has committed.

That should do it, I think.

PG - Jon Williams (Jr.), Dante Treacy (So.)
SG - Josh Williams (RSr.), Sayveon McEwen (Sr.), Jalen Hawkins (So.)
G/F - Cameron Wilbon (So.), Philmon Gebrewhit (RFr.), Deshawndre Washington (Fr)
F - Charles Bain (Jr), AJ Bramah (Jr)
F - Yannis Mendy (Sr.), DJ Russell (Jr), Olisa Ngonadi (Fr.)

So that fills up all 13 scholarships?

I like the roster.

So that fills up all 13 scholarships?

I like the roster.
As far as I know, that takes up all 13, assuming that David Cole is indeed transferring. Considering we're now into June, I'd say it's unlikely anyone else is leaving. Spots are drying up. I'm actually surprised Koby Thomas hasn't announced his destination yet.

As far as I know, that takes up all 13, assuming that David Cole is indeed transferring. Considering we're now into June, I'd say it's unlikely anyone else is leaving. Spots are drying up. I'm actually surprised Koby Thomas hasn't announced his destination yet.

Ya that is true. Koby should pick a school soon.

Did Cole announce he’s leaving or do you just think he’s gone? (maybe I missed something).

Not a huge surprise. I believe he was an academic non-qualifier this past year, so it is very possible academics may still be the issue. Regardless of the reason, we knew someone had to leave. With this, it appears RMU is set with its 13 scholarship players. Of course, roster movement seems to be ongoing in college basketball, so who knows. Assuming the roster is set, I believe we have a lot of reason for optimism.

Not a huge surprise. I believe he was an academic non-qualifier this past year, so it is very possible academics may still be the issue. Regardless of the reason, we knew someone had to leave. With this, it appears RMU is set with its 13 scholarship players. Of course, roster movement seems to be ongoing in college basketball, so who knows. Assuming the roster is set, I believe we have a lot of reason for optimism.
That's a good point. If he's leaving this late, it's a fair assumption that it's due to academics.

So despite our speculation to the contrary, looks like David Cole is returning. He, Josh, and Sayveon are all in a photo with the rest of the team from RMU's youth camp. Also makes sense since Philmon is leaving.

Definitely doesn't hurt to have an experienced big available. Maybe he takes a couple steps forward and can play some good minutes off the bench.

Either way, I think RMU has some options and can maybe play bigger than some other NEC teams.

Mendy and Bain are back at forward. With Russell and Bramah on board, maybe Bain can slide outside as a wing a bit more since he has a good outside shot. Olisa had that promising all-star game, so if he gets minutes early, that might free Bain up even more.

Jon and Josh will be fixtures at guard. Dante really turned it on late last year and Wilbon was really good defensively. I wouldn't be surprised if Wilbon starts or at least is the first guy off the bench and takes a lot of Matty's defensive match-ups. Then you can also have Hawkins, Washington and McEwen as guards off the bench.

No reason why they can't win the NEC next year.

I cannot recall when we have had four solid returning starters, that is, players that started the majority of games. With Jon, Josh, Charles, and Yannis we have four guys that started nearly all of the games. Then you add Cam who had a reasonable amount of playing time as a freshman, and who, except for his outside shooting, has a high-level of talent and we have an impressive starting lineup even before considering the new players and backup players. I have learned in recent years not to get too excited about the roster until the season begins because the player movement is so fluid these days, but if we have Jon, Josh, Charles, Yannis, and Cam all back, then I am pretty darn optimistic.

I cannot recall when we have had four solid returning starters, that is, players that started the majority of games. With Jon, Josh, Charles, and Yannis we have four guys that started nearly all of the games. Then you add Cam who had a reasonable amount of playing time as a freshman, and who, except for his outside shooting, has a high-level of talent and we have an impressive starting lineup even before considering the new players and backup players. I have learned in recent years not to get too excited about the roster until the season begins because the player movement is so fluid these days, but if we have Jon, Josh, Charles, Yannis, and Cam all back, then I am pretty darn optimistic.

Ya I agree. I am 100% disappointed that Gebrewhit is leaving but maybe he still had academic problems. Regardless, this roster is talented & new F/C’s Russell & Olisa should help a lot down in the paint.

I'd be surprised if Wilbon starts or is first off the bench. He does bring energy and athleticism and should again get good minutes. They should be deeper and more talented overall.

I'd be surprised if Wilbon starts or is first off the bench. He does bring energy and athleticism and should again get good minutes. They should be deeper and more talented overall.

I agree but then again it really depends how much he impresses Toole this offseason.

He has the build to be good & showed some promise last year but I would still be surprised if he starts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT