ADVERTISEMENT

RMU Hoops 2019-2020 recruiting Class

R-M-U-h-o-o-p-s-f-a-n

Aug 3, 2015
-To start this thread out, I will put 3 Star G/F Philemon Gebrewhit who academically redshirted this season & was not with the team I believe. Several people on twitter said RMU got high major talent when they got Philemon. I’m excited about him.
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/philmon-gebrewhit

-Next we have top 50 2019 JUCO PF 6-7 DJ Russell who I am excited about. I hope he gets big minutes.
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/d-j-russell

-Next player didn’t have a lot of info on Verbal Commits but I found better info on 247 sports. His name is Ngonadi Olisa. Per 247, he’s a 6-9 215lb Center. They also claim he was offered by Minnesota & Wake Forest. This also could be a big Get for RMU. If the height is accurate, that would be the tallest player RMU has had in 4-5 years. He is an incoming freshman.
https://247sports.com/player/ngonadi-olisa-46080870/

-Please feel free to add new players that commit to this thread if I miss any (current or new ones).

-Also, let’s discuss about our new players! It’s off-season time now...

Last edited:
Olisa has officially signed his letter of intent, so he's locked in.

Russell can sign in the next signing period, but the coaching staff has been occasionally sharing his stuff on social media.

Russell can sign in the next signing period, but the coaching staff has been occasionally sharing his stuff on social media.

What do you think the sharing stuff means?

And any updates on Gebrewhit, as we haven’t heard about him in almost a year...

As for DJ Russell... here is a tweet about him:

Also, according to another tweet I saw, he is putting these great stats in the toughest JUCO region in the country.

Also, here is a short highlight video of him:

Last edited:
What do you think the sharing stuff means?

And any updates on Gebrewhit, as we haven’t heard about him in almost a year...
I just think it's always a positive sign when coaches seem to be actively promoting an incoming recruit (now that they're allowed to, anyway). Not only does it seem like they're really excited about the recruit, but it means the recruit is in good standing and shouldn't have any issues qualifying/enrolling/etc.

If a coach isn't retweeting or liking an announcement that a recruit is player of the week/month or highlights of a good performance, it starts to make you wonder.

And I have no idea what's going on with Gibrewhit. He's not in the team photo, but he's on the roster. He hasn't been on the bench. So I have no clue what that all means.

Gibrewhit is still at RMU. I asked one of the student managers a few games ago, and he said yes, he is sitting out. I saw Gibrewhit at the Cornell game sitting in the student section. It seems to me that he was practicing with the team prior to the start of the season. Possibly with his type of disqualification, he was not allowed to practice during the season. If he plays next year, he should contribute, especially with his shooting ability. I suspect he will play SF, although he may even be able to play some at SG. It will be great to have a 6'7" guy who can really shoot the ball playing those positions.

Olisa looks to be a steal. He has a big body and excellent rebounding and shot blocking ability. He probably needs to develop his offensive game, but he certainly can dunk.

Russell should make an impact immediately coming off a star JUCO career. He looks to be a very active, high energy guy. I'm not sure which position he will play, I suspect he could get minutes at either forward position and even some at center. If you have a high energy guy, and he learns to play within the system, just get him on the floor, it does not matter the position.

Gibrewhit is still at RMU. I asked one of the student managers a few games ago, and he said yes, he is sitting out. I saw Gibrewhit at the Cornell game sitting in the student section. It seems to me that he was practicing with the team prior to the start of the season. Possibly with his type of disqualification, he was not allowed to practice during the season. If he plays next year, he should contribute, especially with his shooting ability. I suspect he will play SF, although he may even be able to play some at SG. It will be great to have a 6'7" guy who can really shoot the ball playing those positions.

Olisa looks to be a steal. He has a big body and excellent rebounding and shot blocking ability. He probably needs to develop his offensive game, but he certainly can dunk.

Russell should make an impact immediately coming off a star JUCO career. He looks to be a very active, high energy guy. I'm not sure which position he will play, I suspect he could get minutes at either forward position and even some at center. If you have a high energy guy, and he learns to play within the system, just get him on the floor, it does not matter the position.
Thanks for that update on Philmon, GoRMU.

It's really going to be interesting to see how things shake out for next year. I'm pessimistic that Malik Petteway will get an extra year, so operating under that assumption, here's what the roster would look like --

PG - Jon Williams (Jr.), Dante Treacy (So.)
SG - Josh Williams (RSr.), Sayveon McEwen (Sr)
G/F - Cameron Wilbon (So.), Philmon Gebrewhit (RFr.)
F - Charles Bain (Jr), Koby Thomas (Jr), Chris Coalmon (Jr), DJ Russell (Jr)
C - Yannis Mendy (Sr.), David Cole (RJr.), Ngonadi Olisa (Fr)

That's definitely heavy on forwards. If it stays as is and RMU doesn't add anyone else and no one transfers, you can make the lineup by having guys work on changing positions. Russell is not a wing. I think he's going to remind people of Petteway, so it won't be him. Gebrewhit could play a bit of guard, so that versatility is nice.

But I wonder if Koby could focus on being more of a wing, where his reach and athleticism could be disruptive on defense and a better handle could make him a threat to slash to the basket. And can Coalman be more of a 5 and battle with Cole to back up Mendy? In certain situations, Coalman could be a better option to stretch the floor than Mendy is.

That could give you a starting lineup of the Williams, Koby, Bain and Mendy, with Coalmon, Treacy, Wilbon, Gebrewhit and Russell getting heavy minutes off the bench.

All that said, I'm expecting movement. I don't think they would have brought in Russell if they didn't expect one of the juniors (Thomas, Coalmon, Cole) to transfer. Plus, the fact that they're still recruiting guards tells me they're expecting maybe McEwen to move on. I know recruiting never stops, but to extend actual offers makes me believe one or two transfers will happen.

Yes, I agree. David Cole seems to be a great guy, and I had high hopes for him when he was recruited, but he got zero, or close to zero, playing time this year.
McEwen got limited playing time, and he knows he will be playing behind Josh again. So, I would not be surprised at all if both of those guys are not on the team next year. Coleman probably would like more playing time, so no assurance he will be back. And, Koby, is a complete wildcard, who knows. I hope he is back and whatever the issues were this year are now behind him. Other than possibly those four, I would expect everyone else to be back, but, LOL, I seem to get surprised every year by the offseason roster movement. It seemed Toole enjoyed working with the group of players he had this year, much more so than the past few years. I hope the majority, if not all of the players are back and continue to make progress. Go Colonials!

Great info on Phil-Gebrewhit! Glad he’s still at the school & showed up to a game to support his team.

Thanks for that update on Philmon, GoRMU.

It's really going to be interesting to see how things shake out for next year. I'm pessimistic that Malik Petteway will get an extra year, so operating under that assumption, here's what the roster would look like --

PG - Jon Williams (Jr.), Dante Treacy (So.)
SG - Josh Williams (RSr.), Sayveon McEwen (Sr)
G/F - Cameron Wilbon (So.), Philmon Gebrewhit (RFr.)
F - Charles Bain (Jr), Koby Thomas (Jr), Chris Coalmon (Jr), DJ Russell (Jr)
C - Yannis Mendy (Sr.), David Cole (RJr.), Ngonadi Olisa (Fr)

That's definitely heavy on forwards. If it stays as is and RMU doesn't add anyone else and no one transfers, you can make the lineup by having guys work on changing positions. Russell is not a wing. I think he's going to remind people of Petteway, so it won't be him. Gebrewhit could play a bit of guard, so that versatility is nice.

But I wonder if Koby could focus on being more of a wing, where his reach and athleticism could be disruptive on defense and a better handle could make him a threat to slash to the basket. And can Coalman be more of a 5 and battle with Cole to back up Mendy? In certain situations, Coalman could be a better option to stretch the floor than Mendy is.

That could give you a starting lineup of the Williams, Koby, Bain and Mendy, with Coalmon, Treacy, Wilbon, Gebrewhit and Russell getting heavy minutes off the bench.

All that said, I'm expecting movement. I don't think they would have brought in Russell if they didn't expect one of the juniors (Thomas, Coalmon, Cole) to transfer. Plus, the fact that they're still recruiting guards tells me they're expecting maybe McEwen to move on. I know recruiting never stops, but to extend actual offers makes me believe one or two transfers will happen.

Also, if Gebrewhit is as good as people say he is (he had a ton of A-10 offfers & a Big East offer). I can’t see Wilbon being above him on the depth chart. If this team is gonna be elite/great next year, new guys Gebrewhit & Russell are going to be big contributors alongside Josh Williams IMO.

April 17th is the start of the spring signing period for basketball. Since recruits usually tweet about commitments in advance of the signing dates, I am not expecting to hear about any new recruits on Wednesday, but you never know.

April 17th is the start of the spring signing period for basketball. Since recruits usually tweet about commitments in advance of the signing dates, I am not expecting to hear about any new recruits on Wednesday, but you never know.

Ya hopefully all our recruits so far will sign tho. Also, we would need another departure to get another scholarship player.

Well, this name came out of nowhere, I believe. Terrell Brown is a 6-2 guard from Procter Academy in Massachusetts. He'll be a freshman.

So someone else is definitely leaving. Good to get a four-year guard on board though.

Terrell seems to be an under the radar player if he is a scholarship recruit. He possibly could be a preferred walk-on. He may be great, there just is not much on him on the internet compared to most D-1 prospects.

Not that there was any doubt, but AJ Bramah and DJ Russell have officially signed. I believe Ngonadi Olisa signed back in November.

pittsburghsportnow.com interviewed DJ Russell and wrote a good article. https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2019/04/17/juco-star-dj-russell-signs-with-robert-morris/

“Coach Toole is a great person, he is very passionate about the game and he really cares about his players."

“He is expecting me to get a double-double every night and if I don’t do that something is wrong,” said Russell. “He also just wants me to bring a lot of energy to the team and also go hard every possession on both ends of the floor.”

“I’m very excited can’t wait to get out there and help my team win. The new arena is going to be great to play in, see y’all November 12th.”

Per Verbal Commits - Chris Coalmon is transferring. No big surprise, especially with the JUCOs coming in. Chris seems to be a good guy, good student/athlete, good team member, and a good basketball player, but with getting limited playing time it is understandable that he is interested in moving on. I wish him all the best.

Per Verbal Commits - Chris Coalmon is transferring. No big surprise, especially with the JUCOs coming in. Chris seems to be a good guy, good student/athlete, good team member, and a good basketball player, but with getting limited playing time it is understandable that he is interested in moving on. I wish him all the best.
Good find. This report just came out, sounds like it's definitely a quest for playing time. He deserves a chance to play some college ball. I think he'd be good for a team that doesn't have much forward depth or at the D-2 level.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2019/04/18/forward-chris-coalmon-to-transfer-from-robert-morris/

Good find. This report just came out, sounds like it's definitely a quest for playing time. He deserves a chance to play some college ball. I think he'd be good for a team that doesn't have much forward depth or at the D-2 level.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2019/04/18/forward-chris-coalmon-to-transfer-from-robert-morris/

He could find playing time at another D1 school that needs players at the 3-4 spots.

Sad to see him go, but good luck in his future b-ball career.

Always liked coalman as a player. Shame to see him leave but completely understand. Would have been a great bench option for them next year.

Definitely good news that Olisa did so well against good competition.

Besides the transfer who was supposed to visit, looks like RMU offered a 2019 shooting guard today.

He has some other NEC offers.

Definitely good news that Olisa did so well against good competition.

Besides the transfer who was supposed to visit, looks like RMU offered a 2019 shooting guard today.

He has some other NEC offers.
This appears to be Omari Peek-Green a 6'6 combo guard. He looks to have Josh W range with superior ball handling. IMO he would fit right in and be a big contributor next year.

The latest RMU Foundations magazine has an article about the Williams brothers. It states that Josh might decide to play professionally overseas rather than use his final year of eligibility. The team is thin at guard already and if Josh and his 32 minutes a game don't return that's a gaping hole in the roster.

Just noticed that VC says today May 4 they offered a 2019 PG and a SG.

The latest RMU Foundations magazine has an article about the Williams brothers. It states that Josh might decide to play professionally overseas rather than use his final year of eligibility. The team is thin at guard already and if Josh and his 32 minutes a game don't return that's a gaping hole in the roster.

That would be stunning and devastating to the team if Josh decides not to return.

Hopefully Toole can convince him a solid senior season will help him make more money overseas.

So here's a rundown of the recent offers. All of them have been HS offers except for the one transfer, who would have to sit out a year.

Jalen Adaway (transfer from Miami OH) - 6'5, 200. Sit one, play two.

Omari Peek-Green (Dohn Prep, Cincinnati, OH) - 6'6, 208. High school guard/wing.

Jamon Battle (Lloyd C. Bird HS, Chesterfield, Va.) - 6'5, 200. High school guard.

Aaron Estrada (St. Benedict's Prep, NJ) - 6'1. High school guard. May reclassify to 2020.

So here's a rundown of the recent offers. All of them have been HS offers except for the one transfer, who would have to sit out a year.

Jalen Adaway (transfer from Miami OH) - 6'5, 200. Sit one, play two.

Omari Peek-Green (Dohn Prep, Cincinnati, OH) - 6'6, 208. High school guard/wing.

Jamon Battle (Lloyd C. Bird HS, Chesterfield, Va.) - 6'5, 200. High school guard.

Aaron Estrada (St. Benedict's Prep, NJ) - 6'1. High school guard. May reclassify to 2020.
Good work. I saw a 2020 reference for Aaron too.

New arena, playing against Pitt in your new arena & playing with your brother on what should be an improved team next year, how can he leave us?

If Josh leaves our chances at winning the league drop from 20-30% to about 2% imo.

We need him to stay here. Toole must sell him on staying.

Hope he's more 2 than 3 especially if Josh doesn't come back for post grad year.

Long post game interview and highlights here.

Dante Treacy just turned 19 last week. Happy birthday, Dante. I think we can expect to see a big improvement in his play next season. While he was getting playing time against D-1 competition, most players his age were either still in high school or doing a post-grad year at a prep school. Dante was a late recruit so he did not have the benefit of working with the team and coaches over the summer, nor did he go on the Ireland trip. The Colonials needed a backup point guard, so Dante was thrown in with little preparation right out of high school. Under the circumstances, he held his own reasonably well. Toward the end of the season, he started to show more of his ability to drive to the basket and also to make three-point shots. I suspect he will add a few pounds of bulk in the offseason. I am looking forward to seeing Donte's progress next season.

Dante Treacy just turned 19 last week. Happy birthday, Dante. I think we can expect to see a big improvement in his play next season. While he was getting playing time against D-1 competition, most players his age were either still in high school or doing a post-grad year at a prep school. Dante was a late recruit so he did not have the benefit of working with the team and coaches over the summer, nor did he go on the Ireland trip. The Colonials needed a backup point guard, so Dante was thrown in with little preparation right out of high school. Under the circumstances, he held his own reasonably well. Toward the end of the season, he started to show more of his ability to drive to the basket and also to make three-point shots. I suspect he will add a few pounds of bulk in the offseason. I am looking forward to seeing Donte's progress next season.
I agree he held his own and his offense improved considerably as he gained confidence. All in all a solid season. It does concern me, unless I'm forgetting someone, if one of our PGs goes down we might have a walkon in the rotation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT