ADVERTISEMENT

Mike McFadden done

Andrew_Chiappazzi

May 7, 2008
Per a report from official team radio broadcaster Chris Shovlin, senior center Mike McFadden has called it quits.

The Robert Morris center has battled multiple injuries since his arrival as a transfer from Iona three seasons ago. He's struggled with those injuries in particular over the last year. Injuries and his frustration level with them nearly led him to quit last year, but he ended up returning and performing well down the stretch.

McFadden's last flare up came after he tweaked his knee in early January and missed the game against Alabama. Since then, he's been in and out of the lineup. After missing the Bryant game last weekend, he returned to play Thursday against St. Francis, but managed 17 minutes before fouling out.

It's now an opportunity for sophomore Stephan Hawkins to take the reigns and run a bit. Jeremiah Worthem may also play some center.

That's disappointing news. It's clear Mike was struggling this season and sorry to hear that the injuries finally won. He'll always be remembered as the hero in the biggest win in school history. Best wishes to him.

Only solace is that we have played well without him (Alabama, Bryant and Mount). Great win today and total team effort. Jeremiah was tremendous and Andy's decision to play Ant and Kavon together really neutralized their press. Hawk actually made some nice plays but I thought Andy may strangle h when he missed that windmill dunk at the end. Incredible start to the NEC.

Go Colonials!

Ryan lewis is on campus if you need another big body,to give minutes was a pretty good basketball player in high school ask New Castle.

Tight end D.J. Pearson was a pretty good basketball player at New Brighton, too. He and Lewis aren't quite as tall as McFadden, who is 6-foot-8, but they'd add some serious size.

Maybe Andy Toole could convince John Banaszak to let him borrow those guys, haha.

No doubt this is a big blow, but as it was stated above we have played great with out him. Wish Mike the best of luck.

Honest question Andrew, simply because I'm interested. Can you add players from other athletic teams, or any student at that particular school, to the roster in the middle of the season?

I mean I truly don't see Toole adding anyone, but an injury or two and he might have to do something quirky?

What are the NCAA rules on that?

I believe that as long as they are a registered student and have eligibility remaining, they can join. It's just not done midseason, because it takes a while for everyone to get up to speed.

Honestly, RMU would have to be in pretty dire circumstances for something odd to happen. If Hawkins goes down, Worthem slides over to center and Tate into the lineup. If Worthem goes down, Lucky slides over. If Hawkins, Worthem and Lucky are all out, Tate's the center and Appolon or Oliver is in the starting lineup.

If a couple guys are out injured from any position, Britton Lee picks up more minutes. I think Toole would play his two walk-ons in dire situations before bringing in someone else.

For teams with real postseason ambitions, the question becomes: Are there enough bodies and of adequate size to practice well each day - especially with the likelihood of minor injuries taking people out from time to time.

The University of Cincinnati has added members of the football team several times over the years with good success. Connor Barwin (now in the NFL with the Philadelphia Eagles) is the most recent that comes to mind, but injuries in November caused Mick Cronin to consider adding a couple bodies from the football team this season, and Bob Huggins added football players to the team several times during his tenure.

The issue was never if there was better talent on the football field than on the basketball court, it was primarily about being able to practice effectively, and occasionally about having another big banger who could play a few minutes later in the year to spread out fouls and let somebody else rest.

I'm not familiar with the courtside talents of the gridiron guys that have been mentioned, and it may be better for their development to spend their time in the weight room, but if this year's basketball edition of the Colonials is getting too thin, other high-level programs have successfully tapped their football teams for help in the past.

Robert Morris is fine right now, even if Desjuan Newton also doesn't return. Prior to McFadden and Newton's issues cropping up, Robert Morris had 12 scholarship players plus two walk-ons. They had enough depth to rotate two squads of seven for 5-on-5 drills in practice.

RMU also has a pretty large student manager crew that could help as a scout team, too.

But I'm sure if the need arises, Andy Toole will find a way to be creative, and that might include a stop in John Banaszak's office.

Yea there's no way it happens haha well at least it would be the last resort. That would be something though.

So a few days ago we were kicking this around in a half-hearted manner, and it turns out that it may actually be happening after Thursday's developments.

With McFadden and Newton's futures still "unclear", in the words of Toole Thursday night, and four players being at least temporarily suspended from the team and missing Thursday's game, friend of the site Lee Kunkel reported that D.J. Pearson went through some workouts for the coaching staff today.

Pearson's a former 1,200 point scorer at New Brighton High School and he makes the most sense if there's going to be a cross-sport addition. The RMU football tight end wrapped up his eligibility this fall on the football field. A few other hoops-inclined football players, such as the previously mentioned Ryan Lewis, are going through offseason workouts and would have less time to devote to another sport.

It sounds like Pearson hasn't officially been added to the team but while RMU sorts out this murky situation involving the foursome from Thursday, Toole isn't waiting around and wants to add a body or two to help out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT