ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Burke in the Final Four

GoRMU

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
When we talk about some of the players that have transferred out in recent years, one player that is usually overlooked is Brandon Burke. Brandon, as you will recall, is a 6'11" center from Michigan who played one year for the Colonials. He had a very respectable freshman year, and at 6'11" had a lot of "upside" potential. As I recall, Brandon missed his family and friends and decided to transfer closer to home. I expected that he would transfer as a scholarship player to a MAC school. That would be a step up from the NEC and he would have the opportunity of having a successful career. Instead, Brandon decided to transfer to Michigan State as a walk-on player. Brandon sat out last season as required by the transfer rules, but was able to practice with the team. This season he is on the team. He has only gotten to play a few minutes this entire season. Although he is sitting at the end of the bench, he's in the Final Four. He gets to practice against top tier players every day and to call them teammates. The sacrifice is that he generally does not get on the floor himself. But, hey BABY, he's in the Final Four. Brandon seemed to be a great kid, I wish he would have stayed with the Colonials, but I wish him all the best, and that he has a blast at the Final Four.

Reactions: M4Fam
Personally I don't understand playing and starting vs. being a practice pylon for the guys getting the minutes, but I guess he is technically a final four "player".

Personally I don't understand playing and starting vs. being a practice pylon for the guys getting the minutes, but I guess he is technically a final four "player".

There’s always one in every crowd, and today looks like it’s your day to be that guy RMU Fan. A practice pylon really, The young man made a decision to take a chance and make a step up and to try something he only gets one shot to do. He went to play on the biggest stage and because of the exact same effort, time and pain the other guys at MSU put in he is rewarded with a trip to The Final Four!! Are you kidding me, go hate somewhere else go on someone else’s forum and hate on kids that take a shot to be great and challenge themselves. I sure hope that you married the same girl you dated in 3rd grade, went to one school and are in the same job you started out in when and/or if you graduated! Because if you made any changes to better yourself then you have no right to talk about anyone else that may become a “practice pylon” with more opportunities in their lives. Andy’s great but I’m sure if you’d ask him he would tell you he’s no Tom Izzou!!

There’s always one in every crowd, and today looks like it’s your day to be that guy RMU Fan. A practice pylon really, The young man made a decision to take a chance and make a step up and to try something he only gets one shot to do. He went to play on the biggest stage and because of the exact same effort, time and pain the other guys at MSU put in he is rewarded with a trip to The Final Four!! Are you kidding me, go hate somewhere else go on someone else’s forum and hate on kids that take a shot to be great and challenge themselves. I sure hope that you married the same girl you dated in 3rd grade, went to one school and are in the same job you started out in when and/or if you graduated! Because if you made any changes to better yourself then you have no right to talk about anyone else that may become a “practice pylon” with more opportunities in their lives. Andy’s great but I’m sure if you’d ask him he would tell you he’s no Tom Izzou!!
Wow you had a lot pent up inside you. No hate here I assure you. Obviously everyone is different and hopefully they do what's right for them. Just saying if I had that talent and ability I'd want to play.

Everyone claim down. This forum/site is hanging on barely and the last thing we need is the few of us that actually post to start fighting over opinions.
I'm sure there was more than just playing vs practicing for Burke to make the move to Michigan State. If the young man is happy with his decision then who are we to judge. We can have an opinion on it but he is the one that must live with it. Perhaps he is getting a great education towards a degree that RMU didn't offer. Or he is leveraging his connection at Michigan State to perhaps get into coaching? Who knows.
RMU & the NEC and all conferences are going to have transfers. Players are going to have their reason for leaving for good or bad for personal or private reasons.

We have all heard it before, the show must go on. So while Michigan State enjoys the Final Four, I'm more interested in the new Event Center and what could be the future of RMU athletics with a new AD and perhaps one day a new conference.

I think it's a compliment to RMU that he has stuck with a national power. Congrats to him, everyone has their own path.

Reactions: M4Fam
Everyone claim down. This forum/site is hanging on barely and the last thing we need is the few of us that actually post to start fighting over opinions.
I'm sure there was more than just playing vs practicing for Burke to make the move to Michigan State. If the young man is happy with his decision then who are we to judge. We can have an opinion on it but he is the one that must live with it. Perhaps he is getting a great education towards a degree that RMU didn't offer. Or he is leveraging his connection at Michigan State to perhaps get into coaching? Who knows.
RMU & the NEC and all conferences are going to have transfers. Players are going to have their reason for leaving for good or bad for personal or private reasons.

We have all heard it before, the show must go on. So while Michigan State enjoys the Final Four, I'm more interested in the new Event Center and what could be the future of RMU athletics with a new AD and perhaps one day a new conference.

Ya I agree. I try not to dwell on people who left RMU. I this case, I see both sides. Could he have gone to a school like Eastern/Central Michigan etc and got playing time? Sure.

But it was his call on what he wanted to do.

Anyway, a former playing in all ACC guard Marcquise Reed is who we should be looking at now (if anyone not on RMU now) in that he could possibly make it to the NBA soon.

-As for the UPMC Events Center, I am very excited to see more photos & have it completed 100% in the next few weeks. Having a great facility should really help in the recruiting process & hopefully bring more fans to watch games.

He said “you don’t dream of going to a school like Robert Morris, you dream of playing Power-5 basketball”. While most want to play bigger, D1 ball in general is a big dream for every kid. Tell that to a lot of the players we’ve had like Rodney Pryor, or Karvel Anderson who are still proud to say they played ball at RMU.

Also, it’s truly a privilege to play Divison 1 Basketball at any level. Braden can say he went to MSU but at what the end of the bench. He could actually play at RMU or another mid major but instead he chose to diss them some in this post. He didn’t have to say that...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT