ADVERTISEMENT

Message From The Publisher

JayFrank17

Nov 5, 2015
Good evening everyone,

This is Jason Frank, the Publisher of ColonialsCorner. As certain people can attest to, I have been trying to gain access to the message boards for a while now. I was never quite sure why I was unable to have access, but now I finally do. I've read all of the comments/messages and you guys have had a right to be upset. Even though I was dealing with certain issues that I will not be getting into, as a man, I will not make any excuses, so I apologize. The Mets had nothing to do with it, trust me!! Lol! But I do want to clarify: I am as huge a Robert Morris hoops fan as they come, so expect a lot of coverage! The awesome Brian Cleary has helped me out with football. He is great as what he does and I'm glad he is very involved in this site. Hats off to Brian! Anyway, real quick, I am a junior at RMU and am double majoring in Criminal Justice and Journalism. I am an open-minded, laid-back and humble guy, and I am glad we have had a lot of interaction on this site. I would love to hear some ideas for stories if you guys have anything specific you want me to write about. I will be checking the forum regularly since this is all figured out. Thank you guys for your patience and I look forward to a great rest of the year. Thank you Colonial fans!!- Jay Frank

Welcome, Jay, and good luck.

My suggestion would be to watch the negativity, and be careful about assigning your opinion to others.

For example, the recent headline "CCSU embarrasses RMU in rout" is in no way helpful to the team, the program, or its supporters, and seems unlikely to reflect the actual feeling of many players.

RMU played to a 0 - 0 half time tie despite several highly questionable and highly disruptive calls by the officials - certainly no embarrassment there. Things obviously got away from them the second half, but even then, it was turnovers and a few miscues that led to the lopsided score, not a lack of effort or being outmatched in any way that should have led most players to be embarrassed by their personal performance. If that sentiment were actually a quote from a player, then it would be far more credible to quote the player - even if you kept the source anonymous.

I'd also encourage you to seek input from people who were at games before publishing, as box scores do not always tell the story. To my eyes, RMU was the more talented team on Saturday. The score obviously suggests otherwise and I won't make excuses, but the negative headline and article that followed offered little insight or value.

That said, we look forward to increased coverage, and wish you well in this and your other endeavors.

Okay, Jason, that sounds great. Let's roll.
Two suggestions 1) get quotes or comments, even undisclosed sources if necessary. Often there are questions or speculations about an athlete's injury, playing status or whatever that could easily cleared up by asking a question. The RMU coaches seem to be very accessible and forthright, also, since you are a student you likely know many of the athletes or can easily get hold of them. I am not asking for you to give away information the coaches want to keep confidential, but Colonials Corner should be able to provide deeper and quicker information than we would find out from the newspapers or other sources. 2) although this site is focused on football and men's basketball, it's okay to branch out occasionally. For example, a hockey player was named the National Player of the Month, a first for RMU. Go Colonials!

Last edited:
Just curious, interesting double major, due you plan on being a crime reporter?

@AutoB4- I understand and I actually agree with you. A lot of people bash and give unnecessary hate to the football program and I am certainly not one of those people. I feel like I've been fair when giving my opinion or analysis. I actually did watch the game against ccsu from start to finish and as I've written in almost every football article, I have praised the defense and I always will because his defense is scary good. But lately, the offense has struggled and in the second half, they came out and looked terrible. It's nothing personal against the players or coaches because they are awesome people. I understand Barr is young and I've said that multiple times as well. However, there comes a point where fans and students start to get upset because the history of the program has always been about winning. This RMU is up and coming for sure and at times, have shown flashes of being a really good football team. But in my opinion, to say RMU looked like the better team is a little far fetched because CCSU did what they had to do and were coming off of a huge victory the week before. In addition, it was only my last game recap where I really gave the offensive play calling harsh criticism. It's been very predictable..with that being said, this team has to go out and win some games in order to make a statement and I think they will, great defense, young talented QB, young stud WR(Buss) and 3 up and coming RB's. Would love to continue the conversation. - Go Colonials

@GoRMU- I will definitely take those suggestions and do my best. I try and talk to the players pretty often, but it's difficult for me because I'm in class pretty much from start to finish of football practice, so it's hard to do both at the same time. I'm working on getting on other reporters to help me out so we can break more stories and give you guys the coverage you deserve! And also, to answer your last question, I have always had a passion for sports journalism, as well as Law Enforcment. I have family in the NYPD and being in law enforcement has always been something I've wanted to do. Whenever I can, I volunteer to help kids in the community and do my best to play my part. I haven't 100 percent decided on a career path, but both of journalism and criminal justice are two areas of study I am very passionate about!

@AutoB4- I understand and I actually agree with you. A lot of people bash and give unnecessary hate to the football program and I am certainly not one of those people. I feel like I've been fair when giving my opinion or analysis. I actually did watch the game against ccsu from start to finish and as I've written in almost every football article, I have praised the defense and I always will because his defense is scary good. But lately, the offense has struggled and in the second half, they came out and looked terrible. It's nothing personal against the players or coaches because they are awesome people. I understand Barr is young and I've said that multiple times as well. However, there comes a point where fans and students start to get upset because the history of the program has always been about winning. This RMU is up and coming for sure and at times, have shown flashes of being a really good football team. But in my opinion, to say RMU looked like the better team is a little far fetched because CCSU did what they had to do and were coming off of a huge victory the week before. In addition, it was only my last game recap where I really gave the offensive play calling harsh criticism. It's been very predictable..with that being said, this team has to go out and win some games in order to make a statement and I think they will, great defense, young talented QB, young stud WR(Buss) and 3 up and coming RB's. Would love to continue the conversation. - Go Colonials

Two questions:
1) Have your journalism classes taught you to believe that praising the defense gives you a free pass to ridicule everyone on offense and the entire team as a whole?
2) Has Rivals taught you to believe that it is wise to argue with paid subscribers in derogatory ways towards both your "far fetched" client and the team?

Saying that RMU looked like a more talented team was not far fetched. Anyone who watched their kicker miss short field goals by as much as 20' would conclude that our special teams are more talented. For those who believe that our defense is more talented than CCSU's, the argument would be as simple as, is CCSU's offense so much more talented than RMU's as to offset their disadvantage on defense and special teams?

That is a matter of opinion, but "doing what they had to do" and "winning the week before" are not proof of superior talent. I formed my opinion while being at the game, watching closely, and taking in the comments and ire of the fans. If you only saw it on video and reached a different conclusion, you may have missed some of what we saw. The lopsided outcome of the game was far more reflective of 6 turnovers than of the talent. Regardless of why you have a different opinion, is it really wise to be attacking those who make the effort to provide information and feedback on this forum?

For what it's worth, this may have been the worst-officiated game I've ever seen at any level. That may not have been evident on video or with CCSU announcers, but those of us in the stands know that the officials bizarrely gave CCSU an interception on a simultaneous possession, failed to call blatant pass interference on what would have been huge plays for RMU, ignored numerous play-changing holds, and even ignored a face-mask and messed up the clock.

Despite the lop-sided score, the only ones who should be embarrassed by their efforts on Saturday was the officiating crew.

Two questions:
1) Have your journalism classes taught you to believe that praising the defense gives you a free pass to ridicule everyone on offense and the entire team as a whole?
2) Has Rivals taught you to believe that it is wise to argue with paid subscribers in derogatory ways towards both your "far fetched" client and the team?

Saying that RMU looked like a more talented team was not far fetched. Anyone who watched their kicker miss short field goals by as much as 20' would conclude that our special teams are more talented. For those who believe that our defense is more talented than CCSU's, the argument would be as simple as, is CCSU's offense so much more talented than RMU's as to offset their disadvantage on defense and special teams?

That is a matter of opinion, but "doing what they had to do" and "winning the week before" are not proof of superior talent. I formed my opinion while being at the game, watching closely, and taking in the comments and ire of the fans. If you only saw it on video and reached a different conclusion, you may have missed some of what we saw. The lopsided outcome of the game was far more reflective of 6 turnovers than of the talent. Regardless of why you have a different opinion, is it really wise to be attacking those who make the effort to provide information and feedback on this forum?

For what it's worth, this may have been the worst-officiated game I've ever seen at any level. That may not have been evident on video or with CCSU announcers, but those of us in the stands know that the officials bizarrely gave CCSU an interception on a simultaneous possession, failed to call blatant pass interference on what would have been huge plays for RMU, ignored numerous play-changing holds, and even ignored a face-mask and messed up the clock.

Despite the lop-sided score, the only ones who should be embarrassed by their efforts on Saturday was the officiating crew.

Feel better AutoB4?
It seems like you had a lot of get off your chest with that post.
With that being said, everyone on these message boards are welcome to their opinions about the teams as a whole, players and coaches as long as they do it in a respective manner. And the same goes for replies between posters.
The #1 issue with email threads, message boards, text messages...etc (anything that is a non-verbal communication) is that the individual reading the message applies the tone they believe is the message is coming from. So one could read your reply as an attack towards Jason. Was that your goal?
This is Jason's 1st year running this site, handling this site (which had issues) and providing coverage for multiple sports.
Can we as fans and alumni say something negative about the team? I would sure hope so if its done in a way that does not personally attack a player or coach.
The young men that are wearing the Red/White/Blue are leaving it all on the field. For a football team to win, you need all three phases of the game to play their best. Last week, against CSSU, the offense did not play their best and it hurt the team.
And yes, RMU is a very talented team. I have seen many of their games in person. I'm very impressed with the players on and off the field. The coaching staff have an open door policy is all players & former players as well.
I know RMU is a young team but that can't be an excuse as to why this team is 2-6 (1-3 NEC).

So I hope that you can see that I'm playing the role of peace maker. I wish rivals had a feature that you could just reply in a private message to Jason.

I will be at the game on Saturday. I welcome anyone attending the game to enjoy the weather and the game. I'm available at certain times if anyone would like to meet to shake hands or continue the conversation about this season.

I have been very outspoken about the paid site and the fact that there has been no value in it. However, in calling the loss to CCSU "embarrassing", Jason, was dead on and in no way, shape, or form should he apologize. Why do we continue to coddle this team ? I know many on here are family members or friends of players and I understand that they want to defend their family, but are posters here actually going to blame officials for a 34-0 loss that could have been worse if CCSU had a kicker? You have got to be kidding! The game WAS embarrassing. 6 Freaking turnovers! How can you believe that RMU could have won? Every kid on the team knows it WAS embarrassing. Jason, just make sure you understand the difference between journalism and editorial. And if it your job is editorial it was 100% correct.
Looking forward, if RMU doesn't win by at least 30 this week against the worst team they've faced this year, it will be another embarrassment and I'm fine being the first one to say it. This does not mean the boys aren't trying. It simply means that if you truely want to be a D1 program then there are D1 expectations. Time to put on the big boy pants.

Last edited:
What is your goal?

To tear down kids? To undermine the football program? To drive more members from the paid site?

If those are the goals, things are just dandy.

em·bar·rass verb: cause (someone) to feel awkward, self-conscious, or ashamed.

Is that the goal?

In no way am I suggesting that we coddle the team or that it is above any criticism, but our frustration with the outcome of games does not mean that it is wise or appropriate to try to make them feel "awkward, self-conscious, or ashamed."

I did not blame officials for the loss (just as I never said that RMU was "better"). I simply used the comments as part of a logical argument showing that the attack on my "talent" comment was foolish. How can I believe that RMU could have won? By not turning the ball over 6 times!

Whether or not Jason's comment about being embarrassed was "100% correct" (which is a matter of opinion), tearing down the team and players is not wise - not for the team, not for its future, and not for the future of this site or the people it serves and employs.

If you insist on ranting and raving about these kids, there are countless ways to do so that would be less destructive than this fan site. Virtually everyone on this site has personal connections to players and coaches.

Whitewash things? No. Take your frustration out on kids that are sacrificing their time and health for this program and to get an education? The answer to that should also be No.

I have never once made a single derogatory comment about any player in this program. And I never will.
Now maybe you believe everyone should get a trophy. Maybe at the end of the year we should all pitch in and give everyone a medal. But these young men certainly understand what is and what is not a successful season. They know there are expectations. This is a team that is talented and capable enough to be 6-2 or 7-1 right now and they are not. They should be leading the NEC, but instead are next to last in the conference. And every single player would agree with that. This is not little league and it isn't high school. I've said many times, if you want to be D1 then act D1. And there is nothing wrong with stating the obvious, good and/or bad.

Agree. It was not pretty today but a win is a win. Very tough final two NEC opponents to end the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT