ADVERTISEMENT

Juanie Newton ???

GoRMU

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Any update on the Juanie Newton situation?

Really no change from the last update. He's not with the team but he hasn't officially left. Newton was not at practice today.

I don't think Robert Morris is closing the door on either Newton or McFadden, but I would be surprised for either to suit up the rest of the season.

I suspect that if Newtown does not come back to the team this season that his short RMU career will be over. That would be a shame, he's a talented athlete and is a good guy who has worked hard and made some good decisions in his life in order to be a scholarship player at the D-I level. It can be a difficult transition, athletically, socially and academically to move from JUCO to D-I, especially for someone who is 2,500 miles from home. I do not know what the issues are that he is dealing with, but I hope he gets things figured out and rejoins the team.

Should he not return next season, that means five known scholarships, two of which are committed. The two known incoming players include a point guard and a center. It seem to me that the other three would be used to get a sharp shooting two guard, a small forward, and a power forward that has enough size to move to center when needed. Of course, unless this is an unusual year, there will be at least one more scholarship open up from a departure in the off season.

Further update from Andy Toole today on both McFadden and Newton isn't much of one. In his words, the door isn't locked for their returns, but it's closing. The team has pretty much moved on.

As for recruiting, Toole told me earlier this year that he ideally wanted to round out his four-man recruiting class with a scoring guard to help offset the loss of Karvel Anderson and another big. I truly believe that the big man will be a JuCo recruit to balance out the additional of freshman Andre Frederick. The shooter could come from anywhere.

As for another wing/small forward, that remains to be seen. With Newton gone, that leaves just a three-man class for next year (Jones, Appolon, Oliver) and Toole may decide to hold onto the scholarship to address a need in the next cycle.

With such a big loss in Karvel, he may also go for a second shooter. Maybe a junior college scorer and a freshman scorer. Because right now, next year's team is built around Lucky Jones, Jeremiah Worthem and Charles Oliver as the main scoring options. Not quite as potent.

Oh, certainly with the revolving door of players in recent years, Toole would not plan on only bringing in four players when he has five scholarships. It would be an extremely rare year if there are no more departures in the off season. Plus even though there are only 3 projected losses, due graduations, in 2015, you can pretty much count on there being other departures. That's the state of college basketball today. Not using an available scholarship is foolish. If an A.D. told a D-I coach that he cannot use an available scholarship, the coach would be screaming bloody murder - how can I compete!

I actually don't anticipate any more departures. Something could always happen, to be sure, but I think after these midseason departures, RMU might stabilize a little bit.

Prior to Lijah Thompson leaving, this was going to be the first year that Toole had all 13 scholarships filled. I think if he has someone he likes who is ready to be at Robert Morris, he'll happily fill it up to 13 in the offseason. But I don't think he'll force it if there is someone in the Class of 2015 that he likes more and feels would be a better fit.

I hope both these guys make their way back, but if they don't it will be interesting to see how RMU adjusts now (McFadden) and down the line (Newton).

I would hope Toole brings in as many "scorers" as possible next season, because with out Karvel the Colonials will obviously need a new weapon on the perimeter to pair with Chuck as a scoring guard.

Having an open scholarship would allow Toole to grab a late season transfer like a Micah Mason. There's always big names that leave higher level programs that still want to play Division One ball, but aren't quite good enough for the ACC or just want a change.

Anyway, time to get another NEC win, Pack The Chuck against Sacred Heart.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT