ADVERTISEMENT

How to improve the D

LetsGoRomo2

Aug 10, 2018
is there anything that can be done this week, or next week to improve the D?

From coaches show, comments, they are making it very simple. From us that have watched for awhile, think we all know AW, Fenwick, 37, lamica can play.

I with many of you really think highly of Stanford, and I do of D Smith as well. Not sure if they are hurt or what deal is there.

I have said, half jokingly about moving Barr to D, now I am not so joking. What about Chase? If he is healthy he hasn't gotten much time at WR. How about Dalton?, He is a big strong young man whom I believe was a really good high school wrestler, might be good on D line.

Just some maybe out of box thinking out loud.

I think asking players to switch positions midseason might be too much to ask for. But the staff did switch schemes, as they've had a 3-4 look with Lamica occasionally acting as a stand-up defensive end to shift back to a 4-3.

The only linemen to play against CCSU were Fenwick, Darley, Pulley, Antuono, and Thimons. I have to believe Stanford and Smith are hurt - it'd be inexcusable to not play them if they're healthy. We haven't seen anything from the freshmen, either. Maybe get them some snaps?

There is no linebacker depth right now, so I feel like any changes in performance would have to come from the DL.

They just may not have the guys they need.

Moving a player like Barr will not help the defense at this stage of the season, it will do more harm than good if you plug a new player in there without having been at that position since August. I do agree that we have talent out there sitting but it seems that in the winter, you make those moves. But you can make those moves now to get them reps but they shouldn't see the field unless you place them in games like situations to see how they respond.

So Barr to what position? LB? I would 1st place those guys you might consider on defense on the kickoff team. Let them run down the field to see if something is actually there.

Moves like that worked in the 1st 10 years of the program but in-season moves today, I just can't see it working ASAP. It will take time.

As for how to improve the D? I would suggest the pursuit drill every day. You cannot look to tackle someone on this drill but ensure you take the correct angle to get 2 hands on the player. And you can make this a fun drill for everyone. Offense can start on their own 20 yard line. Call a play. No blocking but just get in someone's way. And you want the plays to be either a quick pass (swing pass) or a outside the tackle running play. All 11 players on Def must touch the player with the ball with 2 hands. Offense player must keep running, be a rabbit out there.

If you don't want to use the offense then you have the coaches with the backups on defense and special teams run the offense.
Then I would work on tackling. Not with those donuts teams roll around but on each other. Old School.

I know I know...the game might have passed me by but 2 big things I see out there. Bad angles and missed tackles. Removing plays on the game plan and wanting your players to attack is one thing, you have to work them in practice to get back to playing RMU Defense.

Reactions: LetsGoRomo2
You are likely right guys that it is too late to make a move position wise. I just see good athletes not being used a lot. Barr did a nice job blocking against CCSU when in. Him and Chase seem like team guys that will go like hell.

Truthfully, can it get much worse? If they go in and screw up, it's not like what we are doing is working. I think it's a combo of scheme, bad angles, poor technique, and sadly lack of heart and effort by a few guys.

Figured that some of that effort would be seen in film sessions and something's would change.

Again, I know it is late in year, but I would go 3-4
DE Stanford NT Fenwick DE smith
Ol lamica IL AW IL FA OL Barr

Run in Brandon T almost anywhere, t Neal could run in at OL as could Chase.

Safties would be MULE(27) AND Canton. Rotate DBs until you find what you want.

Maybe I am off my rocker, but that is a fast, athletic front 7 that will play like hell.

Edit to add: I clearly do not see them everyday so what the heck to I know.

Also, add Dalton to DE or NT

Reactions: jnbxu
John Wanat did play about 5 or 6 plays at MLB. So they are moving some under utilized players into different spots.

Standford was still healing up from the knee injury at JMU. Hopefully can go a bit this week.

Thanks for info M4. And in general really appreciate the comments from all. Wish we had more people but I think we have a good group of posters here.

You are likely right guys that it is too late to make a move position wise. I just see good athletes not being used a lot. Barr did a nice job blocking against CCSU when in. Him and Chase seem like team guys that will go like hell.

Truthfully, can it get much worse? If they go in and screw up, it's not like what we are doing is working. I think it's a combo of scheme, bad angles, poor technique, and sadly lack of heart and effort by a few guys.

Figured that some of that effort would be seen in film sessions and something's would change.

Again, I know it is late in year, but I would go 3-4
DE Stanford NT Fenwick DE smith
Ol lamica IL AW IL FA OL Barr

Run in Brandon T almost anywhere, t Neal could run in at OL as could Chase.

Safties would be MULE(27) AND Canton. Rotate DBs until you find what you want.

Maybe I am off my rocker, but that is a fast, athletic front 7 that will play like hell.

Edit to add: I clearly do not see them everyday so what the heck to I know.

Also, add Dalton to DE or NT
Defese is quickness, athleticism and desire. Players mentioned all have that and knowledge of offenses due to being QB's, wide receiver, tight ends etc. A lot of enthusiam and athleticism would make up for not playing the new position. Defense is more desire to get to the ball and tackle than anything else.

Defese is quickness, athleticism and desire. Players mentioned all have that and knowledge of offenses due to being QB's, wide receiver, tight ends etc. A lot of enthusiam and athleticism would make up for not playing the new position. Defense is more desire to get to the ball and tackle than anything else.
Athletically speaking, you're right. But it's also about knowing where you're supposed to be at all times, and that can be really hard to adjust to midseason. I don't object to moving any of the players mentioned, but those moves should happen in the off-season, when there is more time to go over responsibilities and assignments in different formations.

Let’s not downplay defensive acumen. Tremendous amount of scheme and intelligence goes into playing defense, along with a lot more recognition and quick reaction. Don’t sale the defenses need for knowledge and position awareness short. Being an athlete is a portion of the pie. Position awareness and responsibilities are bigger!

Agreed with CI and M4 AND jnbxu... Again, I suppose the Crux of my reasoning is... Can it get any worse? They will learn as they go. Still have game this year that would put them that much ahead for next season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT