ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops Ring of Honor

Andrew_Chiappazzi

May 7, 2008
Robert Morris basketball Hall of Famer Chipper Harris became the first inductee into the new Robert Morris Ring of Honor inside the Sewall Center on Saturday. As part of a ceremony inducting all of the 1981-82 hoops team into the school's Hall of Fame, RMU unveiled the new set-up to recognize some of the elite players in Colonials basketball history.

As per an announcement made Monday, to make the Ring of Honor, players must meet four of the following five criteria:
· RMU Athletic Hall of Fame member
· RMU career statistical leader in any category for a minimum of five years
· Named conference player of the year at least once
· Earned all-conference first team honors at least once
· Member of conference regular season or tournament championship team that advanced to a national postseason tournament

ColonialsCorner did a quick perusal of RMU hoops history to see who might have their names alongside Harris' in the future, and what we thought might be a long list was actually pretty short.

Just four players qualify right now:
- Myron Walker (all-time scoring leader, conference player of the year, all-conference first team, NCAA Tournament appearance, Hall of Famer)
- Anthony Dickens (tied all-time rebounds leader, all-conference first team, NCAA Tournament appearance, Hall of Famer)
- Tony Lee (tied all-time rebounds leader, conference player of the year, all-conference first team, NIT appearance)
- Jeremy Chappell (all-time 3-point attempt leader, conference player of the year, all-conference first team, NCAA Tournament appearance)

A number of players made it through three categories but couldn't meet that elusive fourth criteria. Interestingly enough, Chappell and Lee meet four qualifications despite not being in the Hall of Fame just yet. Currently, just Walker and Harris have met all five criteria.

If Velton Jones is eventually inducted into the RMU Hall of Fame, he would then qualify, as he's the all-time free throw leader at RMU, an all-conference first team selection and has two postseason (one NCAA, one NIT) appearances to his name.

It'll be interesting to see how long RMU waits in-between additions to the Ring of Honor. It's likely they'll go chronologically, which would mean Dickens is up next, followed by Walker, Lee and then Chappell. It's possible that the school might wait until Lee and Chappell go into the Hall of Fame to add them to the Ring of Honor, too.
This post was edited on 2/17 6:14 PM by Andrew_Chiappazzi

I think this is an awesome way to recognize our all-time greats. Chipper is certainly deserving of being the first honoree and I'm sure all of the players mentioned will be recognized at some point. My RMU hoops Mt. Rushmore would be Chipper, Myron, Jeremy and Velton but Tony and AD would certainly be in the mix. I certainly hope that Karvel and Lucky will be eligible when they graduate as they are well on their way.

Great win on Sat - Chuck was player of the game but we continue to get quality contributions from everyone. I'm so impressed with how the players and coaches have thrived despite the adversity. Glad to see good crowds and love the Crazies!

Go Colonials!

Well when Karvel goes all Steph Curry on the NCAA field and leads RMU to the elite 8 it will be a no brainier :)

Why wouldn't Earl Cureton make it? Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't he the only Colonial to play in the NBA for7-8 years? Maybe I should've Googled his stats before posting because I'm going with my memory here....

Wildelk, based off of the criteria established by RMU, Cureton won't make it because he played just one year of Division I ball at RMU. He actually played more at the University of Detroit (under Dick Vitale, no less) and it's from there that he probably established his NBA credentials.

Also, he wasn't a title winner and he wasn't on top of a career stat for long
thanks to the likes of Chipper Harris and the rest of those guys that
eventually won the 81-82 title. So he doesn't fit the criteria set up by RMU.

But there's no question he was important, as he bridged the gap and was a major boost to RMU's profile in its first year as Division I hoops.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT