ADVERTISEMENT

It's a new year for hoops!

RMU_Fan

Dec 7, 2011
Let's get the junk posts out of here and start posting some hoops comments. Women started last night losing to St. Bonaventure. Good luck MBB tonight against UCF. Can't wait to see this year's team with all the new faces!

I thought your players looked the part, I just don't understand why Cheeks is starting and out there as much as he was. I think you needed more Flavors and that would make more sense with 2 point guards breaking down the defense he could get a lot of good shots. The PG's broke down the defense they just had no shooters to kick to really when there were in together with Cheeks. Could even start Williams there too. Also what is up with Farris is he hurt or something.

Farris and Stone did not play. I noticed Stone in street clothes (hard to miss at 6'11). Cheeks had a double double. He is not a shooter to be sure, however I was impressed with his 6 for 6 from the stripe. Winston played a ton and did not have a good offensive night. Just the first game, on the road against a superior opponent. You have to be happy with a 10 point loss after being down 17 at the half and 19 I think in the second half.

Cheeks plays hard and I guess it's hard to knock him for a 12 point 10 rebound game but when I looked at your team preseason as an outsider he wasn't the guy I would have thought was going to be a starter. I think you need more shooting if you are going to play Green and Dunn together a lot too. They are great at breaking down defense but both are pretty sketchy shooting and paring them with Cheeks isn't scaring anyone. Probably will see a lot of zone vs that and teams daring you to shoot.

I didn't see the beginning of the game and would think he's more of a high energy sub but he must have earned it. Anyway the game could have gotten out of hand but the team fought hard and kept it respectable.

UCF is a really good team that had the benefit of returning everyone and had a big chemistry advantage over a team with so many new parts in game one at home. I certainly think it was a good showing regardless. Bracketology has UCF in the NCAA tourny, and they have big time athletes that were contributors at Louisville, Oregon, Texas A&M, VCU, and UNLV. You guys didn't look that out of place and competed.

Only guys who didn't play were Farris, Stone, and Jeffries. Farris and Stone were in street clothes on the bench. Jeffries is the only true freshman.

Cheeks and Spear are the only guys familiar with the system, so not surprising to see Cheeks get a lot of run early on. I believe Flavors was banged up most of preseason so that's probably why he didn't start.

Farris and Flavors will stretch teams out more once they're in full game shape. But this was a solid showing for a team with a ton of new faces playing up against a larger school.

Reactions: RMU_Fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT