ADVERTISEMENT

Game five: What's up with the offense?

Chris Cappella

Mar 14, 2012
Robert Morris fell to Chattanooga 61-46. Some thoughts...

-This one surprised me a little bit. Chattanooga is okay. Not bad, but not good either. I thought RMU showed significant improvement heading into this game and was ready to start controlling some of these lesser teams.

-Instead, we saw the same formula that has resulted in every other loss: RMU got off to a slow start, scrapped back, and then fell behind late. This game started with a Chattanooga 7-0 run. RMU did take a 20-19 lead before 13-5 run made it 32-25 at half.

-The second half was a complete offensive struggle. Guys couldn't finish around the rim, make jump shots... do anything really. Highlight that with turnovers and you get the final score you have. Through five games, RMU has some of the worst shooting percentages in basketball.

-We had a mix up in the starting 5 today. Rodney Pryor and Aaron Tate were inserted in the starting lineup with Kavon, Lucky, and Minnie. I thought it paid dividends defensively and rebounding and has a lot more flexibility offensively. However, no one was really able to get going offensively.

-Stephan Bennett responded to coming off the bench well. He had eight points, four rebounds, and a block. He hung out around the rim a little more and looked better. His jump shot still isn't falling but he was able to score in other ways, which was encouraging. I also thought his defense was outstanding.

-Two guys RMU is really counting on, Lucky Jones Kavon Stewart, have not been able to get going offensively. Kavon, at least in practice, has shown an improved jump shot and more confidence in his jumper but that hasn't translated into the game. Right now, Kavon is still all left with no jumper. He isn't finishing with his right hand at all, and it's really effecting his offensive game. That has to develop.

-I thought the offense showed a lot of over-passing. The ball movement was good but guys weren't pulling the trigger. Everyone just looks a little... uncomfortable. You have to believe this will get better. I described the offense like two guys playing with one team on a video game. It's just all awkward. It'll get better.

That's really all I have. Any Q's, fire away and I'll answer the best I can.

--Chris Cappella
--@C_Cappella

I think our offensive woes are due to serious issues at the point. Kavon has really struggled and this was his worst game of the year. Whether it was dribbling too much and not moving the ball against Lafayette's zone or the continued drives to the basket that resulted in turnovers or missed lay ups today, we aren't getting in our sets enabling us to get good shots. His confidence is clearly waning, hopefully, he can right the ship quickly. Honestly, I didn't expect us to miss Ant more than Karvel. I'm wondering if we shouldn't give App a shot at point. He actually was decent there last year when Kavon was out.

Defensively we played well enough to win. Bennett seemed to have gotten the message with his benching and had his best game of the year. He had some nice moves around the bucket including a nice jump hook but needs to stop with the 3s. Reed didn't have his best shooting night but he makes things happen on both sides of the ball. Looking forward to a better result tomorrow. Go Colonials!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT