ADVERTISEMENT

All good things come to an end

ColonialCrazy

Oct 28, 2011
Robert Morris finally lost a game to St. Francis PA, falling to 1-1 in the NEC.

After winning 14 in a row in the series, including all three match-ups last season, the Colonials were finally topped by their Western Pa rivals 66-59 in Loretto last night.

St Francis jumped out to a 28-10 lead in the game thanks to some hot shooting, specifically from Ollie Jackson. For a full recap, click (or copy/paste into your browser): https://robertmorris.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1722525

Some thoughts:

Overall, not too upset. RMU was due for a loss to St. Francis. The Flash are a top 2-3 team, maybe the best, in the NEC this year. They are 5-0 at home this season, and probably won't lose more than one or two games in Loretto this season.

After falling down by 18 points, I thought the game was over.

Andy Toole has to be proud of the fight his team showed. The Flash were making some tough, long shots. Once those stopped falling, RMU worked their way back into the game. Marcquise Reed (8-9 shooting, 22 points) was the main reason they stayed in the game. The Colonials worked all the way back to tie the game but could not take the lead.

Truth be told, if Rodney Pryor plays anywhere close to how he is capable of, RMU wins the game. Pryor went 4-14 shooting, 0-6 from three for just 8 points. He missed some wide open shots, and had a few deep balls go all the way down, just to pop out. He missed a wide open layup that would have given RMU its first lead late in the game, just to see it touch every part of the rim and come out. Just one of those nights.

The offense still has a ways to go. Too much one-on-one. The Colonais have some great 1v1 players, but they should not rely on that skill set until late in the shot clock. Too many times last night, and this season as a whole, RMU takes a long two point jump shot (worse shot in basketball) or someone drives into the trees and throws up a challenged shot with over 10 on the shot clock. Work for better shots.

Lucky Jones still doesn't seem right. Luck was 2-9, 0-2 from three last night. Before I kill the guy, it needs to be said that Jones was a beast on the glass and very good defensively. He does so many things right that even when he is off, he still contributes...but man he is struggling to score. He missed a few bunnies at the rim, and his three point shot remains non-existent. My guess is that his finger is still bothering him.

Andy Toole is a GREAT coach. One of the best young coaches in college basketball, and has a very very bright future ahead of him. However, I didn't get a few things last night. I did not understand going man-to-man late in the game, without a true forward in the game. Earl Brown just "beasted" Lucky Jones and there was no rim protection. It was an easy two for SFPA, and the biggest bucket of the game. I understand trying to throw off the Flash with the man, but RMU has played almost all zone this season. Seemed odd.

I also did not quite understand some off the late game offense. I'm not throwing this all on Toole because, well, he's a coach and not a player. RMU almost forgot that Reed was on the team. He was by far their best offensive player, and did not get many touches down the stretch. Rodney Pryor, Lucky Jones (who both were struggling) and Kavon Stewart took a deep three when RMU needed a bucket. After watching some tape, I think that is one thing that may be pointed out to the team.

I'll nitpick here, but I would have liked to see a timeout early in the game when the team was getting steamed rolled. Again, that's really being picky, as RMU came all the way back. Toole was not the reason RMU lost the game but I think there were a few questionable decisions. Still the best coach in this league by a long shot in my opinion.

Lastly, Marcquise Reed is really, really good. If he spends all four years at RMU, he will set a lot of records and win a lot of games. Another strong performance last night. He is a high major guard. He has size, quickness, can shoot, get to the rim, and understands the game. With a little seasoning, he could be one of the better guards in all of mid-major college basketball.

Overall, the team played pretty well. They went 1-11 from three and Pryor had an off night. That won't happen too often this season. Some very winnable games coming up. Time to go on a nice little win streak.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT