First place votes in parentheses

1. DUQUESNE (4)
2. Saint Francis U (2)
3. Wagner (1)
4. Central Connecticut State
5. Sacred Heart
6. Bryant
7. Robert Morris

WOW, I mean I know last couple years have been tough, but it is sad to see the conference thinks so little of a once dominate team.

I hope the boys surprise everyone this year!! Seems like they have the tools/players to be able to do it this year.

One year Wagner was picked 7th, won the NEC and won the NEC's 1st FCS playoff game.

DFMLcPuV0AAJ3m0.jpg

I think these predictions are a little off, I really don't see rmu anywhere near the bottom. I think it's gonna look a little like this:

1. Wagner
2. Robert morris
3. Duquesne
4. Central Connecticut state
5. Saint Francis
6. Bryant
7. Sacred heart

You have to give it to the teams that have a bona fide QB, there's no doubt thompson and dolegala have the top 2 in the conference. I think rmu is at 3 with either jimmy or Matt. Sacred heart, Bryant, and Saint Francis all have major holes to fill. Saint Francis took a big hit losing Lorenzo Jerome and Zach drayer, plus 3 lineman and part of that defense. Sacred heart lost essentially everybody, their defense is gonna be very bad this season, and Bryant lost their best players as well plus are in their first season with a new head coach. I could actually see rmu finishing higher than CCSU as well, our defense has always done well against dolegala, plus Andy is back to button down the secondary. Wagner brings back Thompson and most of their starters. I think it's a 3 team race between Wagner, Duquesne, and rmu.

There's a key question for every team:

Rmu- can we solve the qb situation finally and get the offense scoring some points this season?

Duquesne- can they figure out their QB situation after losing beuchel plus most of their linebacker core?

Saint francis- who is gonna step up at QB? And who is gonna fix the secondary after losing Lorenzo Jerome?

Wagner- can they come up with a run game to support Thompson?

Bryant- how well are those guys going to adjust to the new system under the new head coach?

Sacred heart- where do we even start? They have nothing coming back other than Kevin duke

5 out of 7 teams in the NEC could be starting new QBs this season. That is a lot of inexperience at a key position for these teams.

The first thing that jumps out at me is that Wagner starts their NEC journey early by traveling to SFU on September 9th. Both teams will be tested very early to start the 2017 season. Who will be starting at QB for SFU? Some say it could be true Fr. Jason Brown (6-3 225lbs). Wagner could have the best QB-WR duo in the NEC (I know CCSU will have a say in that this season).
Then in less than a month, Wagner must make another trip to PA and face the Dukes.
Same situation for the Dukes just like SFU, who will be at QB? AJ Hines will be a target for a lot of teams to slow down. But not only do the Dukes need to find a QB, they lost a lot at WR too.

If Wagner can come out of the early PA grind at least 1-1, they have a chance to claim the NEC title this season. If 0-2…ouch but 2-0…Wagner only remaining road NEC game would be at SHU. So we could know by mid-September if Wagner is in the hunt or not for the NEC title as their 3rd NEC game is at home vs. CCSU.

Speaking of CCSU, I think they could be the dark horse of the NEC this year. But what CCSU team will show up each week? There is a lot potential in place for this team. Can they put it together each week. And CCSU starts their NEC play early as well as they travel to SHU on September 30th.

Everyone will circle October 21st when SFU travels to play the Dukes. That game has decided the past two NEC champs representing the conference in the FCS playoffs. But even after that game, you still have a month of NEC play to go. SFU will be done with NEC play on November 11th. Wagner, CCSU and the Dukes all play on November 18th.
It could come down to the final week of NEC play to determine who goes off to the FCS playoffs.

As for RMU, there are a lot of questions that hopefully will be addressed come August.
Who will be the starting QB and can that QB stay healthy?
The OL has some experience but still very young. Can they hold up this season?
Is Cole Blake 100% and ready to carry the offense?
Where does Dreher fit in?
And who are the WRs? I'm sure Vecchio will be a starter and top target but after that? I know many of us were looking forward to seeing Aidan Howard out there but won't happen.
I think the defense can be very special this season. They will again carry this team. If the offense can get 17-20pts per NEC game, they have a real chance this season.
In a two week span, we will see how RMU is standing in the NEC this year. They open their NEC play at home vs the Dukes (9/14). Then the following week on Sept 21st, they are again home vs. SHU.
2-0, RMU is sitting pretty in the NEC. 1-1, there still is a chance but will need some help. 0-2...ouch and then on Nov 4th, they travel to Wagner.

Without the 2017 roster posted, I can't really determine who is back to battle for positions or add depth vs. who left the program.
I hope to make it to some practices during camp. I'm excited for this team. I believe they have some great pieces on this roster, its now time for this staff to place these pieces in the right areas for success.

ORMC, completely agree. If the offense can just be average, I think they have a chance to win any conference game. If they can play great, they can be really special.

Forgot to add, Saint Francis is in a bad position at QB. Freshman Jason brown is coming off a torn acl plus he is a freshman. Last seasons backup, Andrew koester, transferred to cal u. I don't know how much other depth they had, but I think they had 2-3 qb's committed

When do the boys report?

Has anyone seen Jimmy Walker throw? Spring? This Summer? Very interested to see how he performs.

Did someone say Gee Stanley is back? Was he gone? Glad he is with us regardless.

The word on the street is that gee Stanley is back, not looking like jimmy Masson is though. I saw jimmy throw in the spring and the kid has an arm. I think him and Matt are neck and neck right now. That battle will be won in camp

As for the camp schedule, I have a copy from the football department that I will post shortly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT