ADVERTISEMENT

Some personnel notes as we hit the bye week

ColonialInsider

Aug 26, 2017
I've mentioned a couple times how we could see some changes once the staff has a chance to reflect on the first four games and use this bye week as an opportunity to re-evaluate guys in their current roles.

So I went through to look at how some guys are performing. I'll get to them in a bit, because I also noticed some interesting participation trends.

- Barry Amos started at safety in the opener, but he hasn't played at all the past two games. Dejuan Dandridge has started every game in his place. If he's not hurt or disciplined, I wonder if he'll be given another shot.

- Similarly, Matt Fennell started the first two games on the offensive line but didn't play at all against Bryant. Rene Rodriguez started at right tackle against the Bulldogs and while the line performed well for most of the game, Rodriguez got beat badly on the sack that led to Jimmy Walker fumbling on the final drive.

- Dylan Young started the first three games at right guard and didn't play at all against Bryant. John Sheldon got his first start of the season there. Injury or performance decision? Have to say Sheldon played fairly well.

- Running back Kendall Rodgers hasn't played a game since the opener. Alijah Jackson has replaced him as the No. 2 back and maybe even bumped Terence Stephens out as the No. 1 back.

Good stuff to build on through four weeks:
- Regardless of who is No. 1 and who is No. 2, Jackson and Stephens have shown flashes at running back. Jackson was awesome against Bryant and Stephens had a long kick return. Definitely can keep working with them moving forward. The run game needs to be more consistent and more productive, but there's a foundation there.

- Matt Gonzalez is the teams leading receiver through four games and Tim Vecchio is second. That's a pretty solid foundation.

- Eric McCallister, Trevor Hicks and Connor Mundy have started every game on the line. Seems like they've settled in as starters and I don't see a reason to change.

- Jimmy Walker has been very solid. He's completed 53.4% of his passes and has over 200 yards in every game except the JMU blowout. I see no reason to move away from him as the starter. Just keep getting George Martin experience as his back-up when possible.

- Adam Wollet has been as expected at linebacker and Jon Muehlbauer has been a nice late surprise at safety.

Areas of improvement:
- Consistency at receiver beyond Gonzalez and Vecchio. Delano Madison has been underwhelming. Warren Robinson has been hurt. I'd like to see three guys who popped up against Bryant become regular targets - Steve Petrick as the No. 2 tight end, Anthony Dellefemine and Brandon Magee as receivers with Vecchio and Robinson. Also, what's up with Tavin Allison? He's been very quiet through four games after showing flashes last year.

- The team has three sacks in four games. Unacceptable. Where's Chris Stanford? He's played in just two games. Is he hurt? If he's healthy, he needs to play. Fenwick is the only guy playing reasonably well on the defensive line.

- Linebackers haven't given them much help, either. Lamica and Neal aren't getting in the backfield for tackles for losses. The team has 10 fewer tackles for a loss than their opponents through four games. The team is really thin at linebacker, but the front seven is not getting it done.

- The corners have been okay, even with Heavon Price banged up. I like EJ Jimenez, though he's made some freshman mistakes. I'm less sure about Dejuan Dandridge about safety. Maybe Myles Canton and Jon Muehlbauer should play together instead of battling for the starting job at one spot.

- The defense has done a decent job with deflections and break-ups, in line with the opposition. But they need to find a way to create more turnovers. Just three interceptions and one forced fumble. Getting to the QB more or blowing up running plays would help that.

Reactions: LetsGoRomo2
Regarding the WRs, tough to rank them for me, and I realize different guys are better in different spots, but from their pedigrees and what I have seen from previous seasons and this seasons I would rank the top 4 as follows...
1. Vechio
2. Robinson
3. Delllefemine
4. Magee (glad to see him in)

Patrick and Gonzo have done great at TE. Have not seen much of Dalton, wonder if they might move him to DE or OL, he is a big boy who seemed like a hard worker from what I had heard, not sure about this year where he stands.

Chris Stanford seems to be the biggest mystery, I have thought he has been a hell of a player last couple years, can't imagine why he is not getting more run out there.

Jimmy should be the QB all the time with George getting what he can.

RB Stephens is good but we need some depth here. Have none.

At WR Bodeman had several catches including a TD versus Dayton and has not done much since. One catch was with PI and he still made the catch. The kid had two scores in the Spring as well. For some reason he is forgotten on here. At JMU a DB literally jumped over Vecchio and took the ball from him. Warren Robinson had some alligator arms against JMU. Pretenders and Zebras can only hid their true colors for so long. One 5'9" WR ok. Three 5'9" WRs?

TE is our strong suit as mentioned. Gonzo and Petrick create mismatches.

OL is better but I too wondered about Fennell and Rodriguez? Everyone returns. Still relatively young.

DL - Unsure what happened here as it was an RMU strongpoint staple. Stanford must be banged up or in someone's doghouse. We have been handled up front to date.

LB - Wollett has been good and that is about it.

DB - Not a lot to talk about here. Unsure if it is personnel? Unsure if some kids have coaches buffaloed. Some kids have swag at practice and when the lights are shining are nowhere to be found? I watched a corner vs. JMU run side by side with a RB and could have made an attempt at any point over 20 yards and decided to give a whiff attempt at the end. Bottom line the kid wanted NOTHING to do with tackling and you cannot have that on the field at this level.

As a whole I do not see kids taking good angles and hunting like a nasty defense does. Rather I see a lot of timidness. With young kids they can overthink and not play but I do not see us doing anything overly complicated. We look like a very basic 4-3 team that runs coverage.

They need to get creative with personnel. Matt Barr offers more than the direct snap 1 yard QB keeper guy. He is a big physical kid. HB?

Vecchio is definitely undersized, which can be a problem against bigger, aggressive corners like JMU had. But I think he can be really valuable in the slot because he has good hands. Of the three smaller receivers, he's a much better pass catcher than Robinson or Madison. I'd put Robinson back to return kicks and thats it.

Great point about Bodeman. He didn't play a snap versus Bryant. He, Dellefemine, Allison and Magee should be the featured receivers besides Vecchio. Put Vecchio in the slot and the best two of those four on the outside.

Consistency at receiver and a pass rush should be the two focal points for this bye week. Let Walker get in a rhythm with a group of guys and find a way to get some heat on opposing QBs.

Reactions: LetsGoRomo2
Good point about Chase guys, he has disappeared.

I know it's a different level, but I was watching North Texas Saturday. Their defense was just mean. Just flew to the ball and TACKLED with a prurpose, and if one guy just held a ball carrier up, he was quickly joined by a pack of teammates. Good defenses Absolutely fly to the ball and just have an attitude. We need to see more of this fearless/ball Hawking attitude.

Reactions: irish_buffalo
No reason to even think about 2019 when we still have a lot of the season left. But this is a great opportunity for this staff to sit back and review the depth chart. Do they have the right individual in the right position to be success? Do we see any position moves or players moving up the depth chart.

After 4 games, here is what I’m seeing.
  1. Walker is your #1 QB without a doubt. I saw let the young man play out the entire season until he is injured.
  2. RG & RT will be a debate at least through the bye week. The next 2 weeks of practice will determine who will start vs. CCSU. It seemed that RMU got a chunk of their rushing yards with Sheldon pulling to the left away from Rodriguez at RT. I know we are looking at Fennell vs. Rodriguez at RT but remember that Dylan Young also played Tackle last year. Could be someone to try out if Sheldon is the best RG.
  3. I would like to see Bodeman and DelleFemine at wide at WR and Vecchio at the slot. That could be a very dangerous combo which will continue to free up the TEs. But everyone has to start getting healthy before CCSU.
  4. It seemed that the defense played a bit of 3-4 against Bryant with Lamica like a stand up DE. I have said this about the offense but it seems even more critical for the defense. There is no identity. I know what the staff wants but something is not clicking. Or they are still searching for the right combo of players out there. I wouldn't be surprise to see some sort of mix-up with the scheme or new players or both.
The next 2 NEC games are against the conference favorites. Home vs. CCSU and @Dukes. Very tough games.

In my eyes...they are right there. They show big time ability in small stretches, they just need to piece it all together for an entire game. One thing I noticed (big time) is that this team does not get down if they are behind. They fight. They don't quit. Changing the culture is not about winning games year 1. It's those little things like getting all players and staff to believe that no matter the score that they are always in the game and never out of it (minus the JMU game).

Reactions: irish_buffalo
Seems as though we have been asking this for three years now. Does anyone know the status of Aiden Howard? Also, Jerry Hanks, Jr., I believe he is a JUCO transfer. I was expecting (hoping) those two guys would be in the rotation providing some needed height at the receiver positions.

O looks great, and some position moves, tweaking WRs is fine.

What about the D? It does not seem to me like any complicated schemes or anything. Farrison had a fairly complicated D, though it appeared much more complecatied than it truly was, some coaches called it "junk fronts". Is there anything that can be done, with current personnel to improve the D?

This team is all heart and soul They may not win a lot of games this year but they will compete and never be out of a game. I love their fight and emotion. That will always give them a chance

Seems as though we have been asking this for three years now. Does anyone know the status of Aiden Howard? Also, Jerry Hanks, Jr., I believe he is a JUCO transfer. I was expecting (hoping) those two guys would be in the rotation providing some needed height at the receiver positions.
Hanks played a little bit early on but hasn't been listed as participating since.

Howard is listed as a tight end on the game notes roster, which is more up to date than the one on the web site. Injuries have always been the issue with him. TE is starting to look a little deeper now, too, with Petrick and Gonzalez performing well.

As far as the defensive line goes, since Stanford is apparently banged up, does anyone know what's up with Derian Smith? He was another guy with experience who could maybe bring something different and he hasn't played a snap.

I was really high on derian last year. This won't sound right, but hopefully he is banged up, and that is reason he is not playing. I thought he did really well last year when in.

The D overall just does not seem to be super deep. EJ I would say is a bright spot of the new players, but in my opinion, the whole attitude needs to change. If you are not sure what to do, just go hard and fly to the ball.

Also agree with the thought of having Canton and Mule (27) out there as much as possible. 27 gets to the ball, sure he has made some mistakes, but sure as hell is not scared to get his nose dirty.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT