ADVERTISEMENT

SFPA- RMU. Big game on ESPNU

JayFrank17

Nov 5, 2015
The Robert Morris Colonials conclude a three game home stand on Thursday night, as they welcome the Saint Francis Red Flash to town for a 5:00 P.M. start. This game will be nationally televised on ESPNU and both teams will look to make a strong impression in front of a national audience.

Robert Morris is coming off of a very good win against Bryant. The Colonials put up 89 points in their first game since talented sophomore Elijah Minnie was dismissed from the program. Billy Giles and Isaiah Still led the way for Andy Toole’s club, as Giles notched a career high 23 points and 10 boards. Rising freshman Isaiah Still continued his hot play, scoring 22 points and corralling five rebounds. However, it was more than offense that impressed. Still and Giles did their part defensively as well. They did a great job of limiting second chance opportunities for Bryant.

Saint Francis enters the contest in a three-way tie for first place with Wagner and FDU. All three teams sit at 8-4, so this is a huge game for the Red Flash. This is also a big game for the Colonials because they are still fighting for a playoff spot in the NEC tournament.

We talked about Isaiah Still and Billy Giles, but Matty McConnell is playing some great basketball. He has really emerged as a leader on this team. Yes, he’s only a freshman, but he’s showing everyone why he was so highly touted coming out of Chartiers Valley. He has an extremely high basketball IQ, great court vision and a great shot. Watching his game emerge over the next few years is going to be special.

These two teams just met on January 30 in central Pennsylvania. While the Colonials fell 90-78, the Red Flash were in control the entire way. Fan favorite Ben Millaud Meunier has been making it rain from beyond the arc. The Colonials cannot give him any room or he will make you pay. The Red Flash live or die by the three, but Ronnie Drinnon is a force to be reckoned with in the paint. He hurt the Colonials in every aspect of the game just a couple of weeks ago. He also out-hustled everyone, which I’m sure won’t be a problem tomorrow night.

As always, watching Malik Harmon and Kavon Stewart go at it will be fun They both came into the NEC the same year, so they will always be compared to one another. Harmon is the better shooter, but Stewart goes through stretches where he looks like the best PG in the NEC. Rodney Pryor finally started to look like himself again last Saturday, as he was knocking down shots and staying active defensively. He also had a monstrous dunk and posterized Bryant’s Dan Garvin. He had the Chuck rockin’.

The Colonials can do themselves a huge favor by going out and making a statement tomorrow night. At this point, nothing will surprise me. If they win great, but if they get blown out, I can’t even say I’d be shocked. It’s been such an up and down season and I’m excited about the direction this team is headed. An ESPNU game is a huge deal; i’m sure both teams will be amped up! Which team will come out on top? Tune in tomorrow night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT