ADVERTISEMENT

Robert Morris 22, Virginia State 19

ColonialInsider

Aug 26, 2017
Wasn't pretty, but I'm sure RMU will take it. Congrats to Coach Clark for his first win as a head coach.

Robert Morris was bad for 3+ quarters. Bad on offense. Bad on defense. Bad on special teams. If Virginia State was able to make some field goals, we're talking about an ugly loss.

The final 9 minutes were good, though. After the fumble in the end zone that gave VSU a 19-7 lead, RMU was a different team.

Matt Gonzalez is going to be something special at tight end. He runs like a receiver, as evidenced by the 81-yard touchdown. Jimmy Walker was able to bounce back from an awful day with two touchdowns late. We saw a little bit of Caleb Lewis for a few series when Walker struggled, but Walker showed this is still his team.

I still like some of the wrinkles the offense was doing. The line didn't give Walker a ton of time early on and they're not getting a push in the run game. But I like most of the play-calling.

Also love the guts to call for the onside kick when Coach Clark did. That takes some balls because it could have easily blown up in his face.

The defense gave up 400+ yards. I just think they're so green they can't be asked to do much, so against teams with some versatility, they're going to get burned. It was good to see them create a turnover or two, though.

Field goal team did a great job of taking advantage of a VSU weakness. Two blocks, none bigger than the one at the buzzer.

Something to build on. But next week could be ugly vs James Madison.

Next Week be real tough.

Surprised to see Lewis and not Martin unless the whole idea was to do a series or 2 and then put Jimmy back.

Line looked good at times, not great at others.

D has to get it going, schedule does not get eaiser until that other D2 game. Another 400+ yard game given up.

There were some positives, but lots of improvement is needed.

Sidenote, SHU is 2-0.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT