ADVERTISEMENT

RMU vs. Dukes Thoughts

Original_RMC

Oct 24, 2011
I know that the rain and wind didn't help either team last night. But the difference was that Duquesne was the better team in the 2nd half.

One thing I did like that the offense changed was after some runs being shut down with Owens lined up to the side of the Barr in the shotgun, they shifted Barr to the pistol and had Owens line up between the QB. This has our RBs going North/South when getting the ball vs. East/West. Minor adjustment but a big one but after that, I didn't see too much.

The offense could only mustard up 74 second half yards and we saw again more Cole Blake than Owens. Banny said in the pre-game interview that Owens is healthy and they are going to ride the young RB. Not sure if something changed or the success of Blake in the rain forced the staff's hand with giving more touches to Blake.

The biggest thing hurting this team right now is no identity for this offense. It seems that they feel that they can place any WR out on the field and call any play. The offense does not focus on getting current players enough targets.
Kyle Buss - 26 catches in 7 games
Nic Lamica - 12 catches in 7 game.
After those two, no one else has double digit catches.
And where the hell is Jamison Williams? I saw him on the sideline dressed? Is he in the same mystery doghouse as Derik Abbott?
The offense tried several slants last night and couldn't connect on them but where are the deep comebacks? The 8 yard stops? Bubble Screens? RB screens?
With the current strategy of just spread out the ball on who is on the field takes pressure away from the opponent's defense. They can just play vanilla defensive gameplan with no major adjustments. There is no real threat through the air that RMU's offense targets.

RMU sits at 1-2 in the NEC. And based on their potential, they should be sitting at the top at 3-0. They lost to a bad SHU team. They barely beat a bad Wagner team and they are better than the Dukes.
But this offense is holding his team back. And let me make one thing crystal clear. I'm not pointing the finger at the players. Those 11 on offense are busting their ass out there. They are playing hard and doing the best they can do with the plays being called.

RMU has 4 games remaining. 3 NEC games against 3 tough opponents. They also have a non-conference home game against East Tennessee State.

If RMU wants to continue building this program backup, here are some things I believe would help the offense.

1. Cole Blake is your starting RB the rest of the season.
2. More individual targets for Kyle Buss and Nic Lamica. At least 10 targets per game for Buss and 8 for Lamica. Plays designed to get the players in space with the ball in their hands.
3. Bring Jamison Williams back into the offense.
4. Get Ben Line involved. He is just an OL out there. Place that young man in the back field and give him the ball or give him a screen pass.
5. Give Barr the freedom to audible out of plays. There were many times when you can clearly see that the Dukes were loading up the box to stop the run and go man-to-man or Zero coverage. Barr should be able to see this and audible out without looking over to the sideline.

Sure I might be just venting but after 18 games with this new offense, I'm seeing the same struggles again and again.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

I agree with you on all points, RMC.

In particular #2.

Problem is, "getting" the ball into their hands.
That part definitely needs improvement and fast.

I agree with everything Original_RMC said. And, no, that isn't just "venting", it's simply telling the truth. In fact, I'll probably have to start a few posts just to cover everything that needs to be said. One thing is clear, the Colonial offense absolutely is the definition of insanity. I posted in the "Duquesne game" thread earlier last week to temper the excitement about getting a QB back that was completing 35% of his passes in Division 1 games for an average of 86 yards a game. Saturday night, his stats were almost dead on his average (7/26, 84 yards 2 INT). And to be clear, I'm not blaming this young man. He can only do the best he can under the circumstances. If some day he can get help from an actual QB coach/ Offensive Coordinator, he has the potential to be pretty good. Right now, he is not, None of them are. And the more this staff destroys them the less chance any of them have of making it. Please look at this statistic closely:

The last two games, RMU has used 3 QB's and combined they have completed 21 of 65 passes (32%!!!) for 260 yards and 10 turnovers (6 INT; 4 fumbles) with ZERO touchdowns.
47.5 efficiency rating

The shame is that this is not an unfortunate occurrence or a tough stretch. This has become the norm under Darrin Hicks. So, who is to blame? The QB's? All freaking 7 of them!! If they are all that bad then maybe RMU needs to take an extremely close look at their recruiting. And as a side note to the doghouse comment, it's simply insane that the only QB that has put up productive offensive numbers (121.5 efficiency rating) during the 18 games of this crap show of an offense was banished back in the spring and is only used to block on kickoff returns. And no one knows or will say why. All Coach Banaszak can offer is a "no comment"? That simply isn't good enough.

EXCUSES:
Simply said, excuses are for losers and this fits perfectly because this staff is full of excuses. The only explanation I haven't heard is "we didn't do a good job of coaching". Banaszak has said repeatedly that it's hard to win with freshmen, yet he has let his OC start not one, not two, not three, but FOUR different freshman in 18 games at the most important position on the field. The "we're young, inexperienced and learning" excuse doesn't fly for this team. That was fine last year, but this team was ready to win this year. And that leads to the INJURIES EXCUSE. How many times have we heard "we had so many injuries at the QB position." It's a myth. The first time under Hicks that a QB was replaced due to injury was game 9 last year when Abbott went down in the first quarter against Wagner. The season was over by then, halfway into this 18 game nightmare. And, yes Barr did get hurt this season, but the QB juggling after that was mostly done for ineffectiveness, not injury. And even though the staff had spring and summer camp to come up with a plan,no one was prepared. But that is a coaching issue, not an injury one. RMU did lose Prather, but that was known coming out of spring and did not factor in the OC's plans in August. Brown, Brumbaugh, Carroll and Abbott have all been healthy this year and while McCoy did get hurt, he was ineffective and not really a factor. Injuries have NOT been the issue.

WEATHER EXCUSE: I'm so tired of hearing how weather conditions have affected this offense. This offense is equally horrible, rain or shine. And why aren't the QB's prepared to play in bad weather? Hmmm. Have they been taught how to throw a wet ball, or frozen ball? Do they do drills and practice this so they're prepared when weather could be a factor? These kids did sign up to play in Western PA in the fall and winter so I would hope they understand that they may have to play in some adverse conditions. And why were Duquesne and YSU's QB's able to function? In the two bad weather games the Colonials were a combined 9 for 37 (24%) for 100 yards, 3 INT 0 TD's. Opposing QB's were 27 of 60 (45%) for 274 yards 0 INT's 2 TD's. And in both games the opposing QB's suffered far more dropped passes than RMU. Weather can sometimes be a factor, but both teams play under the same conditions and neither of these games was played under particularly brutal circumstances.

It's clear that nothing has or will change at this point. In another thread, I'll go into detail as to why RMU has no choice but to make changes to the coaching staff. Darrin Hicks must go (or at least be re assigned to other duties) or this staff will look dramatically different next season. This year is all but lost, but the program is at stake.

Last edited:
Why rip our own team and a coach in a public forum?

What is the goal?

If it is to help the team and the players, then posting where opponents and recruits see such frustration is extremely counterproductive.

Ideally, harsh criticism should be private - whether face-to-face or by e-mail. If we're going to use a public forum, let's at least use the paid site which will be seen primarily by people with the best interests of our team and players at heart.

Players and Coaches have access to the Paid Site/Forum. I use to have access to it but apparently no one is able to fix my access.
Anyway, fans and parents have a right to publicly display their frustration with the current situation. Just as long as its done in a tasteful manner and not attacking an individual, coach or player.
Have you visited http://www.anygivensaturday.com/ ? Now there are some fans on there that really attack.

The good thing is that we are all talking about the program good or bad. Sure it can be viewed as bad right now but winning changes everything. And they will start to win again. Maybe this weekend, maybe next year...time will tell.
Do changes need to happen? Perhaps. That is an internal program discussion. I agree that we can't continue down the same path and not think it's going to impact recruiting or great coaches looking at leave the program.

And players know what is going on, they are on the sideline, in the locker room. They are witnessing all of this first hand. We just see the product once a week for a few hours. Is there internal frustration? Of course there is. There was internal frustration when I played and we were winning championships. These players and coaches want to be successful. They are working hard in the off-season and in practices.
It's just not coming together during the games.

I have seen this time play 5 times this season and from what I see in their potential, they should have a better record.
RMU should be 6-1 overall and 3-0 in the NEC.
Ok, maybe 6-2 but still at the top of the NEC.

I see it there. I see these young men wanting to win. I see the hustle and determination on the field. Sure there are mistakes, no one is perfect. But these young men are playing for each other.

I also believe they should be 6-1. And agree 100% that they are giving their all and playing for each other. That's what competitive athletes do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT