ADVERTISEMENT

RMU Football 2016 Preview: Linebackers

Original_RMC

Oct 24, 2011
Linebackers are perhaps the #1 talked about position heading into the off-season. How does Farison replace two SR LBs especially Mike Stojkoic?
It will be a tough order for Farison but he has some depth to work with in Spring Ball.

One interesting thing to note. I did hear that a LB recruit or transfer that should be on campus in January. I have no name and if I asked, I know I won't get one. So we will have to wait until 2016 to see if RMU makes any sort of announcement.

Option 1 (leverage backups per depth chart)
OLB - Jimmy Mason 6' 200 SR
ILB - TJ Waters 6'3" 245 R-JR
ILB - Joseph Uhatafe 6'1" 230 JR
OLB - Zach Cooper 5'10" 190 SR
Now this was from the depth chart from the Bryant Game. So I think heading into Spring Ball, this will be your safest bet to take the field with the 1st unit. If you look at the measurable for the ILBs in 2015 and the individuals listed above, they are damn close.
But now the questions come.
When does Kimani Smith get back and healthy? And if cleared to play, can he capture his starting position?
What about Gerald Ferguson? Can he re-claim his spot back?
It's a great probable that Farison has. A lot of talent and potential but replacing two SR ILBs will be a very tough task.

Who are the individuals that could make some real noise in Spring Ball and in August?

ILB - Adam Wollet 6' 220 SO
He played well on special teams and was a solid tackler. It just comes down if Adam can grasp making the calls and playing at a level to force Farison to place him in the 1st unit.

OLB - David Steele 6'3" 190 R-SO
Another special teams player that made plays but also had bad penalties at time on the field. If he can get mentally stronger, he could push the OLBs because the young man can flat out run.

So I spent some of the night searching. Who could be this January LB coming in? Is it just a FR who graduated early? Maybe it’s a Juco?
Or maybe and this is no doubt a major longshot....but maybe it's Pitt LB transfer Jamal Davis II.
6'3" 230 R-SO (at the FCS level) from Canton, Ohio. Guess who is from Ohio as well...Coach Farison (Marion, OH). Perhaps Coach Farison pulled some strings, showed what Stok did when he came in from a FBS program.
Long shoot...very but you never know!!!

That would be a great add if davis were to come in. Even if the guy they bring in isnt a stud, jimmy Masson is a returning 2 year starter, I expect kimani to be back healthy and he's a 2 year starter as well. Utahafe played a decent amount of time this year and would be a starter on a majority of other teams but was stuck behind an all american draft prospect. I tely feel there's only one question to answer at linebacker, which is who will play inside beside utahafe?

So let's say the idea of Davis coming in is just a wild thought.
And maybe it’s a top level recruit or juco but let’s look at a the talent of the players coming back.

I know the coaches were very high on Waters heading into August last season. I think Tkach just won the battle in camp.

So let's have some fun!!!
Could Jimmy Mason make the switch the ILB? He made such great strides with his understanding of the game and the calls. I would be nervous about this size and handling the traffic between the tackles and just how much faster the gamed is at ILB.

Could this be a lineup that Farison plays with?
OLB - Gerald Ferguson 6'2" 210 JR
ILB - Jimmy Mason 6' 200 SR
ILB - TJ Waters 6'3" 245 R-JR or Joseph Uhatafe 6'1" 230 JR
OLB - Kimani Smith 6'3" 220 R-SR

But back to the question on who will play with Uhatafe at ILB? I agree that Uhatafe will be a clear favorite and I expect Waters to get the 1st crack at securing the other ILB position. After him, it would be someone like Adam Wollet who could push both Waters & Uhatafe.
It also comes down to who the staff brings in for the upcoming recruiting class.

Boy that would be the most athletic line backing core we've had in a while. I really think it's gonna be Jimmy Masson and kimani smith outside, and joe utahafe and tank waters unless somebody comes in and really opens some eyes. And im happy with that. Im confident in those guys as the starters

Original_RMC you should use your connections at the SID office. If he was the early Enrolle, he would have had to sign by now. If he has signed the university can comment. Just a thought............

Reactions: tyblake2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT