ADVERTISEMENT

PBC (Basketball) Pro am Notes 7/6/16

R-M-U-h-o-o-p-s-f-a-n

Aug 3, 2015
I was able to make it out to the first day of the Pittsburgh summer league pro am the other day. It was a nice event and the new gym and sports complex that Montour built is very nice.

I only saw the games in this building and was able to see a good deal of Bobby Mo players, and some Pitt, Duquesne, & some D2 players as well...

Personal player Notes for RMU:

Braden Burke- 6-11 225 lb PF/C (freshman)

Played in the 2nd game of the night at the 8:15 starting time on the same team as Conrad Stephens. He is a very tall player and held his own well against Rozelle Nix (a 7 ft 290lb Juco Center on Pitt). He has a nice range and has a nice, simple three point stroke. He also made a nice Dirk fadeaway jumper from around 15-17 feet. Also, he was pretty good at grabbing boards for the time he got.

He should replace Elijah Minnie just fine and is probably a better interior defender than Minnie (outside of blocking shots, don't know on that yet).

Clive Allen- 6-0 180lb PG/SG (freshman)

Clive played pretty good and has some nice handles. He is a fast guard who has a decent shot and will help RMU at both PG & SG for sure.

He made a game tying three for his team with about 8 seconds left. What happened after that goes on to my next player...

Lorezen Wright Jr. 6-3 180 SG (Juco Jr.)

Will definitely help the team out from three point land this year. He took a couple ill advised threes but can definitely drain them if he takes good shots (Toole will make sure of this, lol). He played decent defense and was matched up with 6-7 wing from Pitt Cam Johnson. It was a little much for him but he did ok against him.

So... Now onto what he did... He made the winning shot for his team with .8 seconds left on the clock. It was a bank shot three after Clive Allen (also joining him on RMU this year) drained a three on the other team! It was a really epic finish to the 7pm starting game!

David Cole- 6-7 230lb (freshman)

Another quality big pickup by Toole. Cole will definitely help in the interior this year as he has a big frame and some bulk to him. He also was showing off his range in warmups making a couple mid range shots. He also attempted a 3 or two during warmups as well.

He is still a fairly raw player, but should only get better with Toole & Co's help.

Note: He's kinda like Aaron Tate but 2-3 inches taller with a decent looking shot and range...

Also saw Kavon Stewart (Senior PG) and Billy Giles (senior PF) play as well...

Kavon to Billy Giles was one of the teams best plays (which was used last year a lot to get RMU some points).

As usual, Kavon had the best handles but the worst (looking shot, if only he could shoot )

Billy didn't play too much but was solid when he did and grabbed some boards and made some good shots around the rim.

Overall: it was a fun night to watch and both games went down to the wire.

Go RMU...

Aaron Tate and Roberto Montovani did not play due to minor injuries. Matty McConnell is rehabbing from surgery. Eager to see Roberto play, the Colonials need him to be able to contribute immediately. Isaiah Still looks as though he may be a bit bigger and stronger. Nate Johnson is a talented walk on. Jordan Lester should take a big step up this year after dealing with a lingering illness during his freshman season. Dachon Burke looks to be extremely quick, aggressive and athletic. This team has talent, but there is no Velton or Karvel that can carry the team. These players will need to come together as a team and accept the coaches' guidance to be successful.

Aaron Tate and Roberto Montovani did not play due to minor injuries. Matty McConnell is rehabbing from surgery. Eager to see Roberto play, the Colonials need him to be able to contribute immediately. Isaiah Still looks as though he may be a bit bigger and stronger. Nate Johnson is a talented walk on. Jordan Lester should take a big step up this year after dealing with a lingering illness during his freshman season. Dachon Burke looks to be extremely quick, aggressive and athletic. This team has talent, but there is no Velton or Karvel that can carry the team. These players will need to come together as a team and accept the coaches' guidance to be successful.

Ya... No Karvel or Pryor to carry the team scoring wise. Might have a couple 10-12 point scorers. We'll see...

Isaiah Still should be one of Tooles main scorers along with Matty and some of the new guys.

It will be a team effort but this "team" could be pretty good...

Go RMU...

Also, don't know how much time Lester will play this year with adding Clive Allen and Lorenzen Wright Jr. Plus, RMU added Dachon Burke too.

Jordan never impressed me at all last year.

Did u see him play at all recently?

You cannot judge him on last season. He was a freshman and was not 100% healthy for much of the season. He is a player with very good skills, who is going to be more knowledgeable about the system than the freshman, plus he seems to be confident and eager to show what he can do. I expect him to contribute. There certainly is going to be good competition at the guard positions.

You cannot judge him on last season. He was a freshman and was not 100% healthy for much of the season. He is a player with very good skills, who is going to be more knowledgeable about the system than the freshman, plus he seems to be confident and eager to show what he can do. I expect him to contribute. There certainly is going to be good competition at the guard positions.

Did u see him at the pro am tho?

I mean Clive Allen had a bunch of offers including Temple among other solid mid major teams.

I just saw Clive and Lorenzen play and they seemed like they would easily play over Lester.

I mean I hope he makes a big improvement and can play, but I can't see him playing over these two for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT