ADVERTISEMENT

(My)Potential Camp Starters

Original_RMC

Oct 24, 2011
The following is based on what I have read within this message board and unofficial information I have heard through the program.
This is no-way an official starting 11 heading into camp.
I'm just taking a stab as to who I think could be positioned on Day 1 as a starter and who we should keep our eye on throughout camp.

Secondary-> perhaps the easiest position to place starters against as the starters all return from 2015.
DBs: Drew Allen & Marcellis Branch
Safeties: Andy Smigiera & Ryan Richards Jr.
Keep your eye on: Travon Scott. The late 2016 add by the staff was a Maryland Terps commit and is considered a 3-star prospect. Could push to see the field as a Nickelback.

Linebackers -> Leadership and big stats lost heading into this season. There is talent but who will stand up and secure the two ILB positions.
ILB: Tyler Lamica & Joseph Uhatafe
OLB: Jimmy Mason & Gerald Ferguson
Keep your eye on: Zach Cooper because of how he played in 2015. Adam Wollet played well on special teams and was used in certain defensive packages. Could push for starting ILB position.

Defensive Line -> Lost some big name but the staff rotates players so lots of experience coming back
DEs: Ryan Lewis & Austin Trgovcich
NT: Zack Zamiska
Keep your eye on: Chris Stanford & Stephon Mingo. Two FR that could see a lot of playing time. Stanford could work into the DE rotation while Mingo could be our outside rusher when we shift Lewis to NT.

Quarterback -> 4 QBs got a chance to play last season with no one taking the lead. Lots had to do with coaching of the position and play calling.
QB: Matthew Barr
Keep your eye on: Luke Brumbaugh. Luke probably had a better QB coach at Seton La Salle than he did the last two seasons. Luke and the other QBs will finally get into a true pro-system and learn.

Running Back -> Very crowded backfield with Cole Blake returning and leading the team in rushing. Blake apparently got injured in Spring Ball and is supposed to be ready by camp. So we will look at this position with a healthy Blake and non-healthy.
RB: Healthy Blake, it's his show.
RB w/unhealthy-Blake: We could see a RB by committee with Owens & Satcher but that's tough to say. It will come down to different packages Coach Miller has for RBs.
FB: Ben Line
Keep your eye on: Sam Woods. The former DB was moved to RB during Spring Ball and I heard his name mentioned a few times. For FB, Blake Skuratowicz

Wide Receivers -> If you thought the RB position was busy, just take a peek at the WR depth and talent they have. We have some top tier players coming back lead by Buss but those veterans are not coming into the season with big stats.
Lots of potential here so we will look at this position when 2WRs are on the field and 3WRs.
2WR Set: I think we see the rebirth of Jamison Williams this season and of course you have the NEC Rookie of the Year in Kyle Buss.
3WR Set: This is where it get interesting. Williams and Buss of course but who is that 3rd? Warren R? Centofanti? Craig T? Blackmon? The list goes on and on. If I had to pick another WR to walk out with the 1st team when going to a 3WR set on Day one, I'll go with Centofanti which would allow Buss to move to the slot WR.
Keep your eye on: Dreher, Vecchio, Magee and Madison. I could see all of these players turning some heads in camp and making it very tough on the coaches.

Tight End -> We have been waiting for that breakout game from Nic Lamica for 2 years and we have yet to see it. Again, lots have to do with play calling and him simply not being on the field. We could see more 2-TE sets with the new pro-style offense.
TE: Nic Lamica is your guy.
Keep your eye on: Tough call here. We have a FBS transfer from Pitt in Reggie Green. Former QB in High School who was listed at DL for Pitt last season. I watched his hudl tape from HS and he was a running QB who had wheels. Also interested in seeing how Matthew Gonzalez performs in camp.

Offensive Line -> Biggest challenge coming into August is replacing 3 starters. The OL has to come together quickly or we could be in for a repeat of 2015. Low scoring, playing from behind and being near the bottom of the NEC. On paper, we have great size but size doesn't matter that much. Just ask Dayton and their OL.
LT - Drew Garbenis
LG - Blake Chambliss
C - Ian Bjuro
RG - Matthew Fennell
RT - Mike Lamb
Keep your eye on: Max Potokar & Harrison Everley. Both players listed at 6'6" and over 300lbs! Can they move? Are they just able to play tackle or can one of them play RG and you could move Fennell to LT? Lots of questions here? What if Lamb now has the feet to play LT?

Great job Original_RMC

Wondering about a couple of the new guys - is Eldin Anu eligible this season after transferring from Kent? If so, I would expect him to compete for playing time early. At LB, have you heard anything about freshman Gee Stanley? He seems to be coming in with some high credentials.

I think the defense is spot on, however I don't anticipate blake to play this season. I also saw Sam woods step up big time in spring ball when he got moved to offense. The recievers have a ton of depth and I could see multiple sets with different groupings of players because that's how deep this group is. My only question is the offensive line, obviously blake Chambliss is a staple. But as for everything else, it's really all going to play out in camp. Mike lamb did not have a good camo at all, garbenis has the size and has been around a few years but has never really seen playing time, and there's is done high pedigree freshman coming in. So I think that will be interesting to watch play out during camp. And I am excited to watch the QB battle at camp. I saw a ton of potential in barr when he was healthy, even with the lousy coordinator last year, but I think since hicks is gone, luke has gained some confidence and this new system fits his skill set much much better. I expect the team to finish above .500 for the first time in a few years

"O"RMC Nice work. I agree with a lot except the OL I think it looks like Lambs spring camp may cripple him and give some of the Freshmen a shot. I also from rumbles am not so sure that many returning guys will cut the mustard on the OL. The last thing I can say is rumors and again it's rumors but Fennell (closer now to 310lbs) is being looked at at LT and has been learning it, as Blake said in the NEC interview sitting in some meetings with incoming guys and they seem really smart and can contribute from day one. I think Blake and him may be a good left side together. Mundy,Morrisey and Potokar could all give returning guys a run to include Lamb. Everly is a mountain and if his skills have been worked on while sitting out he maybe in the mix as well.

Here's my shot at an OL:
LT - Fennell
LG-Chamblis
C-Mundy, Morrissey or Schupp could be a wild card as well
RG-Potokar or Mundy
RT-Lamb(will get the first shot)

If Potokar gets the nod at LT then C and G on the right side becomes a dog fight.

Clear as Mud!!!!

Well done, he isn't showing that's interesting. Nate even had the article written on him being a late add. Jaymond Dunn is another no show one the roster. I believe Jaymond is an academic eligibility issue, not sure on Nate.

Jaymond Dunn didn't have the grades to get in, he had to go to juco. Im wondering where Nathan morrisey is along with justin jones from canisius high school

Great job Original_RMC

Wondering about a couple of the new guys - is Eldin Anu eligible this season after transferring from Kent? If so, I would expect him to compete for playing time early. At LB, have you heard anything about freshman Gee Stanley? He seems to be coming in with some high credentials.

I would assume Anu is able to play right away moving from FBS to FCS.
I reviewed the films for Stanley prior to my most. He is a hybrid SS/OLB with lots of speed. I envision him making an impact much like David Steele did in 2015.

"O"RMC Nice work. I agree with a lot except the OL I think it looks like Lambs spring camp may cripple him and give some of the Freshmen a shot. I also from rumbles am not so sure that many returning guys will cut the mustard on the OL. The last thing I can say is rumors and again it's rumors but Fennell (closer now to 310lbs) is being looked at at LT and has been learning it, as Blake said in the NEC interview sitting in some meetings with incoming guys and they seem really smart and can contribute from day one. I think Blake and him may be a good left side together. Mundy,Morrisey and Potokar could all give returning guys a run to include Lamb. Everly is a mountain and if his skills have been worked on while sitting out he maybe in the mix as well.

Here's my shot at an OL:
LT - Fennell
LG-Chamblis
C-Mundy, Morrissey or Schupp could be a wild card as well
RG-Potokar or Mundy
RT-Lamb(will get the first shot)

If Potokar gets the nod at LT then C and G on the right side becomes a dog fight.

Clear as Mud!!!!

Thanks. My list is Day 1 of camp and having the 1st offensive team take the field. I think the coaches will give some vets a chance with a few new faces on the 2nd team. Let the vets either show they can handle the starting role while the Fr work to adjust to the speed and the new offense.
Then perhaps by mid-week, you'll see the OL starting to shuffle new faces around; giving Fr a chance with the 1st team.

Jaymond Dunn didn't have the grades to get in, he had to go to juco. Im wondering where Nathan morrisey is along with justin jones from canisius high school

No Justin jones from canisius high school. Juco grades I think

Thanks. My list is Day 1 of camp and having the 1st offensive team take the field. I think the coaches will give some vets a chance with a few new faces on the 2nd team. Let the vets either show they can handle the starting role while the Fr work to adjust to the speed and the new offense.
Then perhaps by mid-week, you'll see the OL starting to shuffle new faces around; giving Fr a chance with the 1st team.

Ok I agree with that. Again great job.

Rene Rodriguez could turn out to be a good late pickup on the OL.

Rene Rodriguez could turn out to be a good late pickup on the OL.

I watched his films. Good drive off the ball when he gets his feet moving. High when going to the next level to take on a LB. What I like is that he attempts to finish his blocks. He has a little nasty in him which can't be coached. I could see Rene pushing for perhaps as a travel OL when the season starts. Not sure if he fits more as a G or T. Reminds me of a young Thiel coming out of HS.
I would consider him in the mix of the Fr. we should keep our eyes on in camp.

Who's visiting camp and when so we can be ready for some updates. We are just days away!!!!

Another name that shows up on the roster, at LB, is Darrin Harris, a transfer from Rutgers. A bit undersized at 5'10". I assume he was a walk-on at Rutgers. Regardless, as a transfer from a Big Ten school he may be a good athlete.

Another name that shows up on the roster, at LB, is Darrin Harris, a transfer from Rutgers. A bit undersized at 5'10". I assume he was a walk-on at Rutgers. Regardless, as a transfer from a Big Ten school he may be a good athlete.

I believe you are correct that Darrian was a walk-on at Rutgers
http://www.scarletknights.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020415aaa.html
No mention of him within the official signing class of 2015.

But we will welcome Mr. Harris to the team.
Watched his films here: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3226954/darrian-harris

Played OLB/SS in a 4-4 D. So he was close to the line.
Could be a Jimmy Mason 2.0 down the road.

OL Starters
Well a lot of pressure on the rookies. They ran Fennell out at LT from day on and Mundy is getting everything at C. McAllister is getting a ton of reps as well. Lamb got the early knod at RT and Blake is working with Fennell well. They look like they have good chemistry early on.

We shall see

Reactions: GoRMU
From what I saw Mundy is getting the most reps at C and McAllister is repping second at center it looks like they could be setting one of them up to move there because Lamb and Garbines (Potokar played a lot at RG)are having a tough go at it. But it's really early and so hard to tell. Yesterday was just helmets and shoulder pads...with full contact up front.

Heck before day's ended it was
Rodriguez-LT (who is the smallest of the bunch looks about 260)
Blake-LG
Mundy-C
Potokar-RG
Fennell-RT

QB is wide open to it was reps for everyone...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT