ADVERTISEMENT

Long shot, previous issues.. your thoughts?

LetsGoRoMo

Aug 29, 2016
https://flavarsity.rivals.com/news/former-fsu-quarterback-deandre-johnson-s-long-road-to-redemption

This is the young man who hit a girl at a bar I think a couple years ago while he was at FSU. Looks like the only offer he has now per 247 is Texas State.

As the article states, he appears to be doing everything right now, and has glowing recommendations. Just curious where you guys (gals?) would stand on a player like this?

I know RMU has taken a chance couple guys before that have problems in the past, and have succeeded and flourished.

If you were boss, would you welcome this young man to the team?

I think in this particular case, he will end up somewhere P5 when a team loses a few QBs due to transfer etc, someone will offer him.

From this article, I would welcome him. Everyone makes mistakes, thank god there were not so many cameras, twitter, etc. when I was young. His mistake was grievous, but it appears he has learned from it.

If I were RMU coaches, I would full court press this kid, but that is just my opinion.

It's an interesting article and young man. He made a major mistake and paid the price in terms of his athletic career to date.
I'm sure if RMU recruited a young man with such a past, they would have to get the blessing of the athletic department and Dr Howard. If they get 100% backing from all parties then I would be OK with recruiting such an individual.
Would he help RMU, you damn right he would. He comes in as the favorite to be #1 QB and could be the key piece to take this team from a low tier NEC team to a favorite in 2017. And they might finally beat Dayton!!!!

Reactions: LetsGoRoMo
ORMC. I am sure you know as well as anyone. RMC/U has taken guys that have had problems in past and some have worked and some haven't. I would say, the benefit of the ones that have, out weighs the few that haven't. Their is nothing more fulfilling than changing the path of a young man.

I think this particular young man would probably not be realistic for RMU to get, but I agree with you about what he could do football wise.

I appreciate your reply, and not knowing the man personally but only by posts, reading up on him, etc., if Dr. Howard signs off that is all I would need.

No thanks. I would pass on anyone that hit a woman. Just my two cents.

Thank you for your thoughts. I am always interested in where the line is drawn. If someone would have asked me before I read the article, I would have said F NO, RMU does not need him or his baggage. I just know of guys that have been in trouble with the law, given a second chance, in a disciplined environment, can change, and thrive and change their life trajectory.

You do not want a team of guys you have "taken a chance on", but if you are selective, and the chemistry on team is good, they will become like their team mates and culture.

Just my thoughts.

Never. He didn't just hit her, according to the article, he punched her in the face. The ends, RMU picking up a great quarterback, would not justify the means (getting a kid who lost control with physical violence). I do believe people should be forgiven, and I wish him well in the future, but in my opinion his actions were way over the line.

In addition, he was underage in a bar (I'm assuming he was drinking as well), he would never last at RMU with over aggressive police who turn out in droves at the first sign of a dorm room party, especially if he is still under 21.

First off, thank you for your post, again I just like to hear what others think.

Now I know its been many years since I have been at RMC/U, but we used to "have fun" in dorms as underagers, never had a serious problem. Though we kept the noise down and knew not to make a scene or be idiots if RA, Campus police came by. Back then, they would come by and say keep it down, and we would say "yes sir", and no further problems. Though that was well before the fancy new dorms so maybe things have changed.

We would typically "pregame" there and then head to off campus locals, though within walking distance.

I'm in favor of giving he kid one last shot. And the first second he makes a mistake he's done. But who are we to know the situation behind what happened? We know know the kid, we don't know what happened before he did that, we don't know what she might have done to instigate his action, none of us know. And I'm not going to pretend to know either. Also who determines that domestic violence is so much worse than an underage? Or smoking marijuana? Half the team was suspended for that to start the season. Each of those things are as illegal as the other whether it's violence, underage drinking, or drugs. I'm in favor of giving the kid one last shot. There are kids on this team who have been busted multiple times for drugs and have in the past and they get chance after chance. If you are willing to forgive then this former quarterback can receive the same forgiveness. But only for one chance. Give him a long talk and have a conversation how this may be his last opportunity ever, and if he throws this one away, he may will never play anywhere again

It's not okay for a man to hit a woman, nothing can justify it. You are correct, it is not okay, and I never said it was okay. But I also said, i was not there to understand the situation, and I don't think you were either. So neither of us know what exactly preceded his actions. Just as violence is unacceptable and illegal, so is underage drinking or drugs. If something is illegal then it is illegal. You can't put one above the other. And if this university will pardon kids for those illegal things, what would keep them from giving this kid one last chance?

I'm not saying that one is better than the other. What I am saying is that they are ALL illegal, irresponsible, and unacceptable. It is unacceptable to do something illegal, that includes all 3 of these things. And if a university forgives for all these other circumstances, what basis do they have not to give this kid another chance? Being that it is the first time in his life that he has committed a crime. If you read the article, it was isolated, totally out of character, and everybody was shocked that it happened. That still doesn't make it right. That doesn't make it okay. Also, do you know if the girl came at him? Or may have punched him a couple times before it happened? Just like you said previously, all of these kids are under a microscope for all of their actions not only at rmu in the dorms, but on a bigger magnitude when you are the quarterback of a top 3 team in the nation. You don't know the background or what happened previously and neither do I. What I am saying is that we have no right to jump to conclusions because we do not know the situation. To clarify, I DO NOT support him, or ever hitting a girl. And there is no reason to ever justify that. What I am saying is, if we can forgive these students for mistakes here that are also ILLEGAL, what basis do they have for not giving this kid a second chance?

This young man still only appears to have the Texas State offer.
323 yards average total offense a game.

If he has fixed his issues and can be a good citizen, some team is going to end up with a hell of QB.

Reactions: M4Fam
I would throw him an offer. But he would have only one chance. His first messup would get him dismissed

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT