ADVERTISEMENT

Game recap, preview

JayFrank17

Nov 5, 2015
Good afternoon all,

Some of you said you were able to view the preview to the Mount game on the site, but from my end, it says it isn't posting. Technicalities prevented me from posting the recap and I'm unable to post the preview for today's game. I'm trying to get that fixed ASAP. Until then, here is a mix of some notes from the Mount game and a preview of today's game versus FDU:

“That was absolutely atrocious.”

Those were the first words coach Andy Toole said at his press conference following an embarrassing blowout loss to Mount St. Mary’s.

Toole, unhappy with his team’s defense performance, noted that he let the Mount’s two best shooters, Will Miller and B.K. Ashe, shoot 6-10 from beyond the arc in the first half.

“I’m embarrassed because I’m suppose to be responsible for it all, and I am unable to get these guys to come together, I guess and be a team. It drives me me insane, but we’ll keep working.”

Those were some pretty strong words from Andy Toole, but can you blame him?

Kavon Stewart and Matty McConnell were the only two guys were who looked motivated for this game. McConnell shot the ball very well, and for the first time all year, we saw him penetrate and set up his teammates for easy layups. For whatever reason, Billy Giles and other bigs were unable to handle Matty’s passes, so they didn’t always result in points.

I thought Kavon Stewart played his butt off, and for the people that don’t really understand basketball (students I’m referring to), keep complaining about the junior PG. If anyone had a clue what was going on during the game should be well aware that Kavon wasn’t receiving any help from start to finish. He turned the ball over on the first play of the game, but after that, he singlehandedly broke the press by himself...with two or three guys on him the entire game.

The Colonials were short handed, with only six scholarship players able to play. Rodney Pryor and Andre Frederick collided heads in practice and both weren’t cleared to play due to concussion protocol. Jordan Lester also was not dressed, as well as Aaron Tate, who most likely won’t see the court again this season. He is expected to take a medical redshirt and have the option of coming back next season. Will he do that? Nobody knows for sure.

Not having Pryor was definitely a big deal, but that doesn’t excuse the lack of effort and lack of attention to detail that coach Toole so often praises.

Toole also noted how his players are the first to shrug their shoulders or have bad body language if they feel like somebody didn’t pass them the ball if they were open, but if they miss a rotation on defense, they just jog back down the court and don’t have that same “fuel” or “anger” if they mess up on defense. And that’s a problem.

The Colonials are 3-15 overall and 1-4 in conference play. Today is a must win game against first place FDU. Yes, I said that right, Fairleigh Dickinson is in first place. They are tied atop the NEC with Bryant and Mount St. Mary’s with a record of 4-1.

So what do the Colonials have to do today in order to come away with a much needed win?

Obviously if Rodney Pryor is in the lineup, it will be a whole different ballgame. From what I’ve been told, he and Frederick are game-time decisions.

Regardless of who is out there, I like when Kavon and Matty are on the floor together. We’ve been waiting all season to see McConnell penetrate and make plays, and he did that against the Mount. Hopefully his confidence is improving and he’ll come out with the same mentality this evening.

Everything is honestly just getting repetitive at this point, but the Colonials can’t let good three-point shooters get wide-open shots (I know, great analysis). It’s simple, but it’s true. Getting out rebounded and giving up second chance opportunities continue to kill this team. Isaiah Still showed promise early on, but has appeared to hit the freshman wall. You can just tell by his body language that he gets upset and frustrated when he doesn’t convert. I know he’s young, but he has to understand bad body language and feeling sorry for yourself just won’t cut it at this level.

Something that also irks me: Stephan Bennett is at every home game sitting in the second row...watching. Boy, could we use his size right now. I feel like it’s almost disrespectful to his teammates because he’s there watching, but he quit on them. And people can think whatever they want about reasons for why Bennett quit, but it’s simple. He did not want to take his conditioning test. When Toole gave him a SECOND chance after his altercation with Pittsburgh Policemen after the home playoff game against Bryant, you would think the guy would be grateful. Toole even let him travel to the NCAA tournament with the team. It’s quite sad.

During the Duke-Clemson game a couple of nights ago, Jay Bilas said (I’m paraphrasing) how much Marcquise Reed is going to help Clemson next season. He said Reed is going to be a flat out scorer with the potential of taking this team to another level. Those are some strong words.

No matter who the Colonials play, they just have to go out there and play THEIR game. They can’t let FDU control the tempo. The season is not lost. I know that probably sounds like a joke, but there is time. But if the players don’t believe that there is time, then they don’t have a chance. Will coach Toole get through to them? We shall see.

Can't disagree with you...at all.

Whoever RMU puts on the floor, needs to be giving their full out energy.

This is a game RMU DESPERATELY needs to Win!

Also, about Bennett, Toole actually showed him forgiveness (something he hasn't showed players in the past, aka Karon Abraham, etc...)

If Bennett and Gomis were STILL on this team, I am confident they would have at least a couple more wins, plus the senior leadership would be good for the young players.

These guys have totally disrespected their University and everyone who supports it.

Back to the game... I really hope Rodney can play & Frederick for that matter... At least one of them!!!

Go RMU

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT