ADVERTISEMENT

Game 8: the most upfront formula to lose

Chris Cappella

Mar 14, 2012
So RMU falls to Buffalo 74-59. Some thoughts...

-First of all, wow. I have never seen such sloppy play with the basketball from Robert Morris. Want to know the best way to lose a game? Have more turnovers (24) than shots made (23). That's what RMU did today.

-Toole estimated postgame that about half of the turnovers were unforced, meaning it was things like throwing bad passes, dribbling off a foot, travels, illegal screens, etc. Those are easy things to clean up. At the same time, it's time for this team to start learning from mistakes. That's my biggest concern: through eight games, RMU hasn't shown improvement.

-Kavon Stewart had another blah game. he had 4 assists to 4 turnovers. In his last two games, he's at the 10:10 mark.

-David Appolon (back spasm) warmed up but was unable to go. he initially suffered his back injury last Tuesday against YSU. Jafar Kinsey (turf toe) played but was limited. I get the impression that Toole was very pleased to see his freshman suit up and give it a go though.

-A lot of people will point to RMU's struggles and go right to the inexperience excuse. this team might be inexperienced, but right now you could argue that three of their four best players are newcomers: Rodney Pryor, Marcquise Reed, and Elijah Minnie.

-Pryor had 10 points on 4-6 shooting (2-4 from 3). He's really starting to find a niche of creating his own shot too. For example, he's hit a baseline fadeaway going to his right a few times now. That's a tough shot for a lefty to hit. He's a better ball handler than we probably give him credit for.

-As for the 2 freshman: Marcquise Reed has such a good sense of how to get space for himself. Opponents are finding out how quick he is and respect his ability to get to the rim, but he's making them pay with a sweet mid-range jumper. As for Minnie, the kid is putting it together. 10 points, 10 boards, a bock, and a steal. he looks really comfortable. He also drove to the rim a few times, something we haven't seen him do a whole lot. Toole mentioned postgame how Minnie is starting to work harder in practice.

-The frontcourt overall is a mess. Stephen Bennett had a nice game, and I think it's time to just generally accept him for what he is: a power forward. That doesn't mean he still shouldn't be anchoring the defense in the middle, but offensively he has no game with his back to the basket. He had two airballs on 8 foot baby hooks, but nailed a three and another mid-range jumper. I hope he keeps developing the baby hook, but he should also understand who he is as an offensive player: a big man that can shoot, generally seems to understand the value of floor spacing and screen setting, and can knock down the outside jump shot if open.

-I like Aaron Tate but wouldn't be mad if Leo Gomis started to get some of his minutes. Tate has 10 points in 6 games and isn't rebounding like the man he was last year. In fact, Tate and Gomis have the same amount of rebounds per game (2.3) with Tate getting nearly twice the minutes. The problems of course being: 1) Gomis and Tate play different positions, and 2) Gomis is a fouling machine. Still, a few Bennett-Gomis lineups might not hurt.

-Speaking of lineups! We saw a stretch where Marcquise Reed handled the ball and I liked it.

-Lucky Jones needs to start finding that 3 point shot and fast. He went 1-9 today and is down to 26.9 percent on the year.

That's all I've got for now.

-Chris Cappella
-@C_Cappella

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT