ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking Down the 2016 Football Class

Original_RMC

Oct 24, 2011
I went through each highlight tape and offered what I quickly saw vs. what RMU needs. I even offered my prediction for each young man. It all comes down to whether they can grasp the new system and adjust to the speed of the game.

Eldin Anu * WR
Transfer from Kent State who is on campus now. He will be able to start working out ASAP with the team and be there in Spring Ball. Could be a weapon in the slot in 2016. Good speed in his highlight tape but that tape is almost 2 years old. Like landing a JUCO for the team; expect Eldin to contribute in 2016 if he can grasp the new offense.
2016 Prediction - Will get playing time and make plays on offense.

Chase Bodeman QB
6-2 180 Fr.
Good athlete with a good arm. Not much zip on those deep square in throws but seems to have very good touch.
2016 Prediction - Tough one here, do you red shirt Chase and build for the future? It all depends on the depth chart heading into August. A strong camp from Chase means he could be a back-up at least. But I say, red-shirt the young man.

Harrison Dreher RB/Ath
Great Athlete from a great program. Could be an impact on special teams day one. Not sure if he could crack the lineup as a RB but the young man is special and he can help, the coaches will find a way to get him the ball.
2016 Prediction - Special Teams and could have offense plays just for his skill set. Jet Sweeps; Bubble screens...etc.

Jaymond Dunn WR
Dunn is like Dreher but from a AAAA school. Dunn can do it all from returns to catching the ball as a WR. Dunn could be a Fr. we see a lot on the field in 2016. The young man can fly after catching the ball, has good size and makes catches with his hands.
2016 Prediction - Becomes the new returner for RMU in 2016 for Kickoffs and Punt Returns. Will get playing time as a WR.

Trey Edwards S
Played QB for Steel Valley and now being recruited as a S...doesn't that sound like another Colonial? It will be tough for him to crack the starting lineup. But depth at S last year was a concern. You had Branch being a backup safety according to the depth chart against Bryant.
While Trey won’t break into the starting 11 for defense, he will get time on special teams.
2016 Prediction - Special Teams but if passed on the depth chart, will red-shirt.

Matthew Fennell OL
Great size for an OL. And I know he is now closer to 300lbs and working hard to get ready for RMU. He will need work on his feet especially when they the DL is on his inside shoulder. But that will be worked out during camp.
2016 Prediction - Starts at RG replacing Theil who retired from football.

Matthew Gonzalez TE
Just like Lamica, has great size for a TE. But only listed as 215lbs. But should be a weapon in 2016 if the offense goes with more 2 TE sets.
2016 Prediction - Will be used in the offense, not listed as a starter but will make plays.

Justin Jones S
Just when I'm about to question why Justin is listed as a S and not a WR, I see his highlights unloading on other WRs. He can deliver the big hit and also make that break on the ball in coverage. Farison's D is tough to learn and if this young man but grasp the expectations of the safeties but he will be a huge backup to have and could be used in certain defensives.
2016 Prediction - Backup S and Special Teams.

Tyler Lamica * LB
I have seen enough of this highlight to know about this young man. A motor that won't stop, so angry on the field and nasty tackler.
He is on campus already and reports are that he is picking up the defense quickly. There are going to be mistakes in Spring Ball but if he can get those resolved by August...look out.
2016 Prediction - Starter at one of the open ILB positions.

Jonah Lisbon ATH
Talk about something I didn't expect to see while watching the highlight tape. Catching players from behind on defense. Running downhill at a RB on offense. He reminds me of Cole Blake...no not that stats Blake put up in Moon but coming into RMU and not sure where he fits.
At 6' 200lbs, Lisbon could play SS or RB for RMU. I think Lisbon is a year or two away from really contributing to the team but being such an athlete, he could turn some heads on Special Teams.
2016 Prediction - Special Teams but if passed on the depth chart (still not sure of this position), will red-shirt.

Brian Loose TE
Not sure if I'm watching the right highlight tape or not. RMU has Loose listed as a TE but I see him as a OT in a wing-T offense. Decent blocker but nothing more than that. Played some DE in the tape.
2016 Prediction - red-shirt

DeLano Madison *WR
On campus already but there is a big question around Lano if he can stay healthy. If he can...becomes Buss 2.0. He still not fully recovered then red-shirt and save him for 2017.
2016 Prediction - Buss 2.0 or Red-Shirt; all depends on his health through Spring and August.

Brandon Magee WR
WR battle in the Spring and in August will be interesting. It could be tough for Magee break into the lineup to start the season but could be a weapon as the season moves on. RMU could use an outside WR with speed and size.
2016 Prediction - 2nd on depth chart at WR to start, could push for starter before the end of the season.

Stephon Mingo DE
At 225lbs, a little lite in the ass for a 3-4 DE. Has great speed as a DE. If RMU was moving to a 4-3 D, then I could see Mingo pushing for a starting spot. He will be used on D but not as a starter. In obvious passing situation, RMU shift Lewis to NT and could bring in Mingo as a rush DE.
2016 Prediction - Will rotate in as a DE but won't start. Used primarily on 3rd downs.

Nathan Morrissey OL
Late add by RMU. Will provide depth at the OG position. Could push players in camp.
2016 Prediction - will add depth, could be backup or red-shirt.

Conner Mundy OL
Another OG for depth. Concerns over his feet, will need work but has the ability to finish his blocks but not done at all times.
2016 Prediction - will add depth; could be backup or red-shirt

Thomas Neal CB
RMU is strong at DB, could be a recruit that could be used for depth until 2017. Neal is an athlete and you can tell with how he breaks on the ball in the air and also how he runs with the ball at RB.
2016 Prediction - Special Teams but if passed on the depth chart, will red-shirt.

Max Potokar OL
Big boy that does has a mean streak. He did play OG in his tape. Concern over his size & feet.
He could battle Fennell for RG. But whoever has better footwork (Potokar or Fennell) could be moved to LT.
2016 Prediction - could push for either starting RG or LT or RT (if they move Lamb to LT). Will be on 2-deep depth chart at worse.

Blake Skuratowicz FB
Blake's commitment to RMU could mean that we see the traditional FB back in the offense. The only issue for Blake is that if there is going to be a FB in 2016, it could be Ben Line. Blake is a tough kid who loves to throw a block.

Chris Stanford DE
Ideal H/W for a 3-4 DE. Great motor and again...another solid/mean tackler. Didn't see too many pass moves in the highlight, just using his size to run through OL. But he is someone I could see being used in the normal DL rotation on game day. If he has an outstanding August, Chris could be the replacement for Forrest Mason!!!
2016 Prediction - Will rotate in as a DE but won't start.

Tim Vecchio WR
Great stats coming out of high school. He had a ton of plays his Sr. year. Doesn't seem fast on film but yet he is running by everyone. I watched him on other highlight for kids from his school, not the best blocking WR. Could be a weapon again in the slot.
2016 Prediction - will get playing time at WR. Might be listed as a starter at some point in the season.

Great analysis, I would agree with you. I think two of these lineman have a legitimate shot at a starting spot. Some of these guys look like total animals, I can't wait to see what Tyler lamica does in a colonial uniform. And some of the skill players definitely have an opportunity to come in and compete for significant playing time. Im very excited for the upcoming season!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT