ADVERTISEMENT

You know whats funy

cccrazy21

May 22, 2013
Think about how far this program has really come. Let this marinate, the program has lost alot of good players, but the players here now/are coming in the next few years, RMU has simply never been able to recruit. One day we will look back and thank Chappell/Jones/Lee and say wow NOW look at the guys we are able to secure.

Those guys laid the foundation, and Coach Toole has built upon that. The Jeremiah Worthem's of the world never even thought about Robert Morris a few years back.

Hopefully these newcomers play with the same hunger that the above mentioned group did. Those guys played for the name n the front of the jersey, and made this program what it is today!

This program has had some talent, even if it had to scratch and claw to find some. Tony Lee's only Division I offer was from Robert Morris. Jeremy Chappell might be one of the best players in RMU history. A.J. Jackson was an outstanding stretch four-man.

In fact, the team with Lee, Chappell, Jackson and point guard Derek Coleman might have been one of the most individually talented teams in the last few years. All four have had time overseas, and all four could put 20 points up on a given night.

But it was also a rudderless team. They couldn't get past the NEC semifinals (and one year, it took Chappell knocking down a 3-pointer at the buzzer against Mount St. Mary's to even get them there).

If not for the new direction and disciplined emphasized by Mike Rice in his first year, who knows where this program would be. It wasn't just a shift in talent (and Robert Morris is definitely recruiting higher caliber players on a regular basis than it was 8-10 years ago). It was a shift in attitude. That was just as big for the foundation of what's going on now.

Andrew (and anyone else), just for fun, who wins this game Lee, Chappell, Jackson and Coleman, vs Velton, Russ, Coron, and Lijah?

First to 21, 1's-and-2's.

for more fun, round robin with those teams, and Karvel, Lucky, Mike, and Ant??

Definitely would be interesting to see who would come out in that round-robin.

Personally, I'd have to go with the 2007-08 version of Lee, Chappell, Jackson and Coleman. A couple years prior, they'd try to get into a 3-point contest with those guys and their success would depend entirely on whether they were hot or not. But that year, even though Coleman had graduated, they found out how to play solidly at both ends of the court. That was also the team that upset Boston College and nearly took down Syracuse.

I'd have to go with them. Jackson and Thompson would probably cancel each other out, and Johnson on Chappell would be interesting. Derek Coleman against Velton Jones might be the best one-on-one match-up. But no offense to Coron Williams, Tony Lee would win that one hands down. Lee was the "bulldog" of Robert Morris before Velton Jones had even committed. Toughest guy I've ever seen play for RMU, and the most versatile. When a 6-foot guard ends up playing power forward on a 26-win team AND is one of the top rebounders in the league AND posts back-to-back triple-doubles, you know he's good.

In the round-robin, I think the Chappell group goes 2-0, Velton's group goes 1-1.

omgku_1_-_1.0_standard_352.0.jpg

A picture of John Wall commenting on spelling and punctuation? Didn't that team have the lowest team GPA in Cal's coaching career... like ever?

Andrew let me throw a bit of a curve ball at you just for fun, would you change your mind if Coron Williams switched with Karon Abraham?

I think I'm with you, though I'm intrigued to Mike, Luck Karvel, Ant. That's a lot of weapons for a PG who can share the love!

Ooh, a little more of a wrinkle there. Abraham was a better defender and more versatile scorer than Williams.

They're playing man in this scenario (zone? Hah!), so it's Jackson on Thompson, Chappell on Johnson. I think it's still Lee against Jones and Coleman drawing Abraham in this scenario.

Derek Coleman was an incredibly athletic, gifted point guard who could also score. He was above 40% from 3 for his career and had 7 treys in a game against Wagner when he was a junior. I think he'd handle Abraham.

Want an additional wrinkle? How about Rob Robinson in for Lijah Thompson? Robinson would make things a little more difficult defensively for Jackson.

This post was edited on 11/14 3:41 PM by Andrew_Chiappazzi

Originally posted by C_Cappela:
A picture of John Wall commenting on spelling and punctuation? Didn't that team have the lowest team GPA in Cal's coaching career... like ever?
Some of us go pro in something other than sports

There isn't one player I'd rather go to war with than Rob-Rob. It would be a battle. I'm leaning towards Velton's team, but I think it would be 5 apiece in a 10 game set. So even.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT