ADVERTISEMENT

So where would RMU Football land?

Original_RMC

Oct 24, 2011
So lots of buzz on here and on other message boards about RMU perhaps getting an invite to Horizon League.

I would assume that RMU would submit a request to the NEC to remain at least an affiliate member for Football and LAX.
Would the NEC take the same path as they did with Monmouth and decline the request?
That is the tough call.

But if RMU is serious about their public statements about wanting to be the next Gonzaga then they have to upgrade their basketball conference.

I'm sure for RMU the ideal situation would to keep football and LAX in the NEC.
But what happens if the NEC says "see ya"

LAX...maybe the MAAC? Not sure.

Football get interesting.
They can go the path of Monmouth. Go independent for a year and upgrade to 63 scholarships. Invest in their facilities for football and go to a big FCS conference.
But what conference?
So folks are talking MVFC!!! Yes that conference with YSU and NDSU. Today they only have 11 teams and if you can a team like RMU (based on location not record) then you could have an East & West Conference.
MFVC West:
NDSU
SDSU
UND
UNI
USD
WIU

MVFC East:
IlSU
InSU
MSU
RMU
SIU
YSU

Does RMU have the money to spend? They're spending $50m for a new gym that they may not sell out on a regular basis. The first couple years, the hoop team will have nice crowds because of the new and shiny, but they have to put a good product on the court to keep the place close to full. RMU couldn't even sell Sewall out on a regular basis. Even with tournament winning teams.

The hockey team needs a new home. ISC is too small. Personally, after building the gym they need to take care of the hockey teams before football. They're the most successful programs on campus over the last few years outside of women's hoops. Coach Schooley isn't going to want to wait forever to see his team's successes go unrewarded by the school. If he feels that the school is taking those programs for granted, he may go for greener and richer pastures. RMU doesn't even spend that much to compete in the NEC, how are they going to spend to compete in the Horizon League or to compete in a higher class FCS conference? Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I can't see how RMU is going to get the money to upgrade to a better athletic conference.

Lots of good stuff. I would be thrilled to see a Horizon/MVFC combo. Do think Lax could go MAAC. Men's team had a good season, and has been pretty good in general, and boasts numerous players in the Pros.

Not to be a debbie downer, but I think the MVFC is probably unrealistic now. Arguably the best FCS football conference. As it sits right now, as of today, the facility I would think would need improved a lot for RMU to even get a look, and then significantly to recruit at that level. The NEC might let them stay for lax and Football, but the past history says they wont. Might be a different situation now, and would be good for RMU and the NEC for both sports, even if for short term. Would allow RMU to ramp up facilities and scholarships if they are going to go all in, and allows NEC to approach potential new members.

Anyways, pretty exciting time, and if the offer is there from Horizon, I think you have to take it. I know it would/could hurt Football, in the short term if they have to go indy. However, if that leads them to go full scholly/expand JWS, then that is a big plus long term.

Side note: GO PENS

I honestly think if RMU does go Horizon (still a long shot) and NEC says No to LAX & Football then the only option for Football would be Indy. It would suck and hurt the schedule but they will have to build in hopes of getting into a bigger conference. MVFC is a dream. If RMU was dominating the NEC then perhaps they would consider talking to RMU but with the recent years, they won't sniff RMU.

RMU might have to follow the Montouth route with going Indy, building the program and maybe go to the Big South. Yes you increase expenses with travel but that might the only big conference willing to take RMU.

One problem with RMU going independent. If they end up getting the program turned around and have a strong season, not being in a conference would make it a lot harder to get into the FCS playoffs. They'd have to go undefeated or lose one game at the most to get the attention of whatever committee sets up the playoffs. Which means RMU would have to upgrade their schedule significantly.

Cannot see MVFC as a good fit, in any way, for RMU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT