ADVERTISEMENT

Lucky, Andre and Jafar

GoRMU

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
First, the obvious question - what's up with the Lucky suspension? Is it safe to assume that it is something minor, and we can expect him back soon?

Second, Andre, I am really excited about the potential of this freshman big man. In addition to his size, talent, shot blocking and rebounding ability, he is still extremely young. According the RMU Colonials official web site, his birth date is 05/16/96. Most players his age are still in high school. Marcquise is already one of the better shooting guards in the conference, Elijah could be one of the best forwards by next year and Andre has the potential to be one of the best centers. This is an outstanding freshmen class!

Third, Not sure why Jafar left the team after one semester, but I assume it was because of lack of playing time. It now appears to have been a rash decision. He certainly could be playing a lot now, as this team very much is lacking a backup point guard.

I have always hoped for a Colonials team with more big guys. Now, I am wishing we had a few more guards!

GoRMU,

Appreciate the enthusiasm and questions! Funny you bring up some of the points you did-- I've been discussing in person the same things!

I'll go point by point the best I can. First, in regards to Lucky... his suspension is really just disappointing, isn't it? Last week, Lucky seemed to realize his time of being a collegiate basketball player was coming to an end and he was embracing the ride. Not to mention, he was playing some good ball. The program has been tight-lipped about the whole thing. From the little information I've gathered about the suspension, the feeling I get is things really are going on a day-to-day basis. If I had to guess about Thursday's game? I'd say he's a no go.

I too like the potential Andre has shown. At his best, he's an elite athletic rim protector with a promising offensive game. The problem, like with most freshman, is he's not often at his best. Too often, it feels like there's a lack of awareness that he has anchoring the zone. I think passes zip past him and he just doesn't do a good enough job to consistently earn minutes. Promising? Yes, definitely. On any given day he can bring it. Now he just has to do that consistently.

Finally, I think just about everyone is frustrated with how the past year and a half has gone in terms of suspensions and players quitting. As a freshman, Jafar was averaging 14.3 minutes-per-game. That's a high amount for a true freshman point guard that really doesn't have a discernible skillset. Sometimes, things just don't work out. I get that. But to quit a team two months into a season? From a personal standpoint, I can't stand it and can't relate to it. With Appolon's outlook looking bleaker and bleaker by the day, RMU could use any sort of guard play.

Even more disappointing than Jafar is Chuck Oliver quitting, in my opinion. If there's one person who should know the rollercoaster a season bring, it would be Chuck. Now, it seems like if guys aren't playing right away they simply quit. What ever happened to working hard in practice and changing your situation?

Frustrating to say the least. I hope this team puts it together, but I hesitate to believe this will be the case.

The thing that I absolutely love about Andy is that he has a clear set of rules that he expects his team to follow and he holds the players accountable. He always has from suspending and, ultimately, dismissing one of the most talented players in the program's history at the start of his head coaching career. Honestly, I'm dumbfounded that a senior leader hasn't grasped that after four years.

I also absolutely love Andre's upside and aggressiveness. He will only get better as his career progresses. Very exciting player to watch.

This post was edited on 2/17 9:58 PM by Carlester

Chris should have an update on Lucky later today.

As for Andy Toole, it's probably been by far his most difficult season as a coach. Suspensions, frustration on the court, off the court issues etc. Yet here RMU is, tied for second in the league, and .500 overall after a brutal non conference schedule. Last year, the Colonials had one really bad week off the court. This season things seem to keep happening over and over again.

As Chris noted in his article, Andy is the guy to fix these ongoing problems and have this team playing their best ball come March. Lucky should be back at some point, and maybe even App. Some senior leadership would really help the fifth year head man come NEC tournament time.

I trust Andy will get this thing back on track over the next few games. After all, the guy is 63-22 (.741) in the NEC over his five years. He knows how to get it done.

Lucky has been practicing with the team and will be making the trip. However, Toole said they're taking things on a "day-to-day" basis. That was really the only update provided. Just an educated guess: Lucky sits Thursday but plays Saturday.

Chris - you were correct about Lucky sitting last night. Since he is with the team on this trip, I suspect that you are also correct that he will play tomorrow. If so, you clearly have become an expert Andy Toole observer! I have no idea what team rules Lucky violated, but I sure hope he is able to play these last few games of his career, he has meant so much to this program throughout his career. I am sure Coach Toole really wants him to play also, and not just because he can help the team win a few more games.

Thank you! For what it's worth, I'm hearing more and more Lucky will NOT play Saturday. But I don't think anyone, maybe even the coaching staff, truly knows for sure. Hey, 1/2 isn't bad
rolleye0008.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT