ADVERTISEMENT

JUCOs football and basketball

GoRMU

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Football, from my following of twitter, it appears RMU has offered a number of JUCO football players. The signing date for JUCO mid-transfers is December 18th. I guess ideally it would be great to bring in all true freshmen each year, but with the reality of roster turnovers in college sports, there are always going to be holes to fill at certain positions so bringing in a few JUCOs each year makes sense. The JUCOs that are mid-year transfers are especially helpful since they can participate in spring drills and get to know the system.

Basketball, I am very excited about the three JUCO transfers new to the team this year. AJ already has a couple of double/doubles and has high-level athletic talent. Jalen is another talented and exciting athlete. DJ is the type of center that can excel in the NEC, a rugged 6'7" aggressive rebounder with the ability to score around the basket. Often it seems that it takes a couple of months for JUCO basketball players to get acclimated to playing D-1, then they start to show their abilities after the holidays. These three should be good to go for the Conference schedule and should be able to excel against NEC competition.

I really like it when we can get a player such as Jalen that has played one year of JUCO and comes in with three years of eligibility remaining.

Go Colonials!

Reactions: ColonialCrazy
Hawkins looks great to me. Hope his minutes tick upward.

For football, not just juco but grad transfers have been huge. I think the long term goal should be mostly freshman and have them develop, but never turn down a great juco if it's the right fit.

Minus only one transfer for football I can think of, coaches have done a good job getting quality guys to transfer in. Renfro is a good example of a guy that probably would have redshirted this year, still might be possible if he sits out against SHU and something I am sure the coaches are considering if possible.

I think you can expect more depth on the d line and backfield for sure from either the JUCO or transfer markets.

100% agreed on the JUCO December grads.

I would not be surprise if RMU didn't land a JUCO or FBS transfer for QB and WR.

JUCO players are a big help with the depleted basketball roster. They have shown flashes and should settle in as they get up to speed.

I think they may add a juco QB to compete for the starting job. Think I saw one offered. DePaul is supposed to be doing well and I believe he was 2nd string when Lewis was out. Imagine if they really like him they will redshirt him this year.

WR will be interesting to see. Lots of young guys on roster that did not see much action this year who were good recruits. Losing vech and Madison.

TE could be another spot, know they have that one freshman from IMG who will likely play a lot next year with Pettrick.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT