ADVERTISEMENT

John Banaszak Series

Original_RMC

Oct 24, 2011
Here are some of my notes and thoughts on the interviews. And as always, great job Andrew with the interview and getting the updates to everyone.

Part 1:[/B]

I think Coach Banaszak needs to pull himself away from Special Teams. He is the Head Coach now and that responsibility should go to another Coach on the staff. I can understand his drive to oversee the DL but again I think he needs to ensure all phases of practice is under his eye. How can see oversee the DBs and WRs doing one-on-one drills during pass rush drills if your focus is on the DL? I think in time he will need to separate himself from being a position coach.
I'm glad to see that Coach Banaszak is making a commitment to many of the coaches who have been around the programs for many years. I also think Coach Banaszak should promote Scott Farison to Assistant Head Football Coach.
So let's assume that the rumors are true and Darrin Hicks will be the QB Coach & Offensive Coordinator which would eliminate the need for Sinclair to coach the QBs. I wonder if the new playbook would bring in new coaches?

Some of the items I have heard is how at times certain players get away with behavior on the practice field because they feel they are entitled because either they were a top recruit and won some awards. I think that behavior needs to be eliminated
ASAP by the staff. I know Coach Walton's practice mindset was very Pro like; technique and coaching and not much
cracking skulls. I believe Coach Banaszak needs stamped out the old way of the program Day 1. He needs to challenge his returning players by attacking the off-season program and then use Day 1 of Spring Ball as his way of showing how the new Colonials will handle things on the field.
I'm hoping that some old habits are quickly no longer followed.
-moving of personal to unusual positions. I'm talking about having lightweight OL that were former TEs. RMU is a scholarship program now so they should have the depth and talent.
-No more former players less than 1 year removed actually coaching positions. If former players want to be GAs...great. Offer them a GA position to assistant at certain positions. No more former players running an entire unit. This was done in the pass because RMU did not have the budget in place to hire many coaches.

Part 2:[/B]
YES...get rid of those old Wilson jerseys...haha.

I'm very happy to read that Coach Banaszak is starting to understand the need to have a real brand with RMU football like Under Armour orNike...etc. I understand that when compared to the N EC, RMU is on par with the rest of the teams. But why stop with comparing your program to the NEC. Let's look at other programs that are jumping from the NEC. Albany, Stony Brook and Monmouth....but I will get more into that in Part 3.
I do expect a big shift in the offensive play-calling in 2014 which hopefully awakes the sleeping giant called RMU football. You have a potential NFL QB, one of the top NEC WRs returning along with your physical fullback who can act like a RB.

Coach Banaszak referred to Auburn in how they run the ball until you stop them but will also attack you through the air as well. RMU has one major issues, they don't have a real RB that can handle the workload. Recruiting will be very interesting to see how the staffs target players for this new offense.

Part 3:
I agree with Coach that the fan/student support was weak this season but you can't go from winning a championship in 2010 to winning 11 games in 3 years and expect the fans to be there. If you want to fill the stands...win. Plus a lot has to do with the weather as well. Early in the season when the weather is nice, the students are there. When it's cold and rain...they head back to their dorms.
I understand that everyone loves the night games (more time to tailgate). And I'm aware of the NEC rules of not having night games for those teams who have to travel a long way. So let's review the NEC. Is the NEC in the long run the right conference for RMU? Don't just think football, think basketball as well. The athletic department will have to invest a lot of money for a new Sewall Center or upgrading what they have now. So I wonder what would be cheaper for RMU; gutting and redoing Sewall Center or perhaps buying land within Moon Township to build a new Arena? There is that old West Hill Plaza that was cleared out for I think a Wal-Mart or Super Target or something. But it has been years and nothing is being built there. So I wonder if RMU has or would be willing to talk about purchasing that area and building a new off campus arena? This would be a the new arena to host all basketball games and other events like graduation or concerts..etc.
Then you can make Sewall Center into another on-campus facility. You could make Sewall Center into a new indoor facilities for teams to practice? Many options.

But this is how RMU and the football program need to start thinking. Don't settle for being the best in the NEC. You want to be considered the Gonzaga of the East Coast, RMU is going to have to invest in their programs.

But let's turn our focus back to football. The stadium itself is nice but it's not a FCS stadium. Morgan State came to RMU this season and they asked if RMU was D-II. I don't think it was slap in the face at RMU. I think when a new team comes on campus and walks into the stadium, it can be viewed as a non-FCS type of stadium. I'm hoping that the design of the stadium allows for RMU to expand without major obstacles. RMU needs to grow that stadium with perhaps an end-zone section for maybe the students and band.

I like hearing that Coach Banaszak is not afraid to challenge those other top FCS and MAC schools. But this program needs to knock off another major program on the road. You want programs knocking on your door to play you then you start the 2014 season going 3-0 by beating Eastern Kentucky at home then North Dakota & Lafayette on the road. You get blown out each game and start 0-3,why would a team like Ball State or Kent State want to play RMU. Hell I would just take a win against Dayton.
This post was edited on 12/12 12:58 PM by Original_RMC

This post was edited on 12/12 4:15 PM by Original_RMC

As always, well thought out stuff there Original_RMC.

A couple things I'll add.

- The current coaches will stay (if they want) even with a new OC. The changes could occur with Jeff Sinclair, Myles Russ and Alex DiMichele. I believe Russ and DiMichele wrap up their two-year stints as graduate assistants this spring. I wouldn't be surprised for both to stay on as regular assistants, especially DiMichele, who moved into the role as Banaszak's DL assistant last year and did a lot of individual work with those guys. I think Russ would embrace the opportunity to continue here as well.

Sinclair wasn't an official grad assistant last year, and I wouldn't be surprised for him to become one this year and still work with the QBs even if Darrin Hicks is officially the QB coach.

That seems to be the plan developing this year. Coaches could always leave of their own volition, too.

- RMU sounds hopeful that Evan Taylor will be back at running back. If not, keep an eye out not only for recruits but for Forrest Barnes. He committed to The Citadel over Robert Morris last spring but transferred to RMU in late August and will be eligible this year.

- RMU will not leave the NEC until it either gets ripped apart or they improve facilities. Most likely football destination is the CAA and the CAA will not take them right now because of facilities. RMU won't jump to a non-football conference and leave its football program in something like the Big South.

- The Moon Plaza property is owned by WalMart. The company has been trying to get approval to finally start construction but has run into multiple obstacles, including traffic concerns.

I've been told that RMU's dream scenario is for the WalMart to put KMart out of business and to buy the KMart plaza property adjacent to the RMU campus for a multi-purpose arena, including both hockey and basketball (like Quinnipiac's side-by-side set-up).

- The one thing I came away with in my conversation with Banaszak is this: As ambitious as he is, he knows it ultimately comes down to performance on the field. If they win, things can happen. That's the bottom line.

Great series of articles with the new head man!

Coach Banaszak may be 63 years old, but I get the impression that he has the enthusiasm and energy of a much younger coach.

I am excited about recruiting. The concern that I always had with Coach Walton is that he primarily left recruiting up to his assistants while he was enjoying his condo in the sun. Banaszak has been and intends to continue to be very involved in recruiting. I think the benefit is already showing up as both Walton and Banaszak have said the past two recruiting classes have been among the best. I have to believe that was the result of the recruits knowing that the guy involved in their recruitment was the guy that would eventually become their head coach. Banaszak is a guy that when you meet him, he will look you in the eye and instantly gain your trust. That's a very effective tool when meeting with potential recruits and their parents. With his current energy and excitement of finally having the head position; I would not be surprised if RMU has a truly outstanding recruiting class this year.

Go Colonials!

I get it about playing limited night games. No team wants a hotel tab for 2 nights. But what about a 1 or 2 PM kick-off (when TV isn't involved). I've talked to many RMU connected people who agree a later kick-off would aid attendance. Noon kick-offs stink.
When I lived in Chicago those nooners started at 11 AM. Yuck.

Prior to lights going in at the Joe, RMU had the noon starts to maximize daylight as the season progressed.

I think 1pm starts could be possible within the NEC. We'll see what happens.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT