ADVERTISEMENT

Jeremiah Worthem update

Andrew_Chiappazzi

May 7, 2008
Freshman forward Jeremiah Worthem, one of four players suspended in January, will enroll at Indian Hills Junior College in Iowa for the 2014-15 season. The news was first reported by Josh Verlin at City of Basketball Love.

It's a good move for Worthem and clarifies things for Robert Morris. Worthem was free to explore his options following the suspension, but anything involving a Division I school likely would have meant missing all of next season. Because of NCAA rules, Worthem could not transfer and be eligible to practice or even receive a scholarship at a Division I school in August. That's because of how the NCAA handles the transfer of suspended players. A player can't escape a suspension at one school by simply transferring to another NCAA institution.

If he had stayed through the suspension at RMU, Worthem would not have been on campus until January and likely would have sat out the remainder of the season anyway.

This was his smartest route. Worthem will be able to enroll, get on track academically after having to leave RMU mid-semester, and get his college basketball career back on track. He'll then be able to land at another D-I institution the following season. There will be plenty of suitors, as he has a tremendous amount of talent.

No word on what fellow suspended Philly native Britton Lee plans to do.

This post was edited on 4/26 5:45 PM by Andrew_Chiappazzi

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT